PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever make there own safe??

Rich1028
09-02-2012, 11:36 AM
anyone ever make there own Gun safe??
I've been watching a lot of these videos on how there made,and what the difference is between the good ones and the cheaper ones.
I was just wondering if anyone has made there own?
pics would be nice if you have them.

SomeGun
09-02-2012, 03:15 PM
In the house I used to live in I made a floor safe in a obscure closet in an empty bedroom. Totally undetectable. Modified the floor joists to accommodate various size guns. and valuables.

Sorry, no pics.

ekick
09-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Was the bedroom on the first or second floor? If it was on the first floor, could somebody have gotten at the floor safe from below? Did you have a basement, or a crawlspace?

Mike in Michigan
09-22-2012, 08:34 AM
If you want a big one, Aluminum truck box with 1-piece lid. Lay down or stand on end and secure to wall. Used ones on craigslist, best prices on news ones at Tractor Supply Store. Smaller one made using industrial circuit breaker boxes. Can find them on craigslist, ebay, or scrap yards.

who dat
09-22-2012, 09:04 AM
anyone ever make there own Gun safe??
I've been watching a lot of these videos on how there made,and what the difference is between the good ones and the cheaper ones.
I was just wondering if anyone has made there own?
pics would be nice if you have them.Check out this thread:

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=95321

Badercs
10-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Made one out of a old metal file cabinet anchored to the basement floor, steel rod and 90 degree brackets 1 inch hole for rod with a hole for a pad lock.

Phelptwan
10-05-2012, 12:55 PM
I have a buddy that made one out of 3/8" Plate. It's very spartan looking, and I doubt it has any real fire rating, but it works. It also only has 4 bolts, and no re-locking, or special security mechanisms. It'd probably take quite a bit to crack in though.

il Padrino
10-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Get 2 metal cabinets, one slightly larger than the other, some rebar and a few bags of cement. "float" the smaller cabinet within the larger one, re-inforce the empty space between them with rebar, fill with cement and let dry.

Mike in Michigan
10-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Padrino...you forgot the engineering and fabrication for the door.

Marcus
10-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Padrino...you forgot the engineering and fabrication for the door.

Soumds like someone might need to pay a visit to padrinos safe. A concrete safe with no door? Maybe Jimmy Hoffa might yet be found :lipseal:

il Padrino
10-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Hoffa's? He was probably fitted with a pair of shoes made by a masonry cobbler... :)

m1shooter2003
10-11-2012, 04:38 AM
mine is a 12x14 walk in 8 in block rodded and grouted 250 pound security door on ball bearing hinges safes inside bolted to floors and wall took me half dozen years to collect the materials and talk wife into letting me build it even though i am a mason by trade finally let me do it when i set it up as a panic room with phone and 5/8 dead bolts on inside

tyler79durdan
10-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Thought about cutting a drop down door with my HD shotgun mounted to it in the base of my platform bed. Maybe push lock/magnetic style hardware... Just gotta get approval from the little lady first, so I guess thats not gonna happen. lol