PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm

jwhite
09-05-2012, 02:06 PM
After researching and debating about which handgun I should buy to be my first, I won a SP2022 for $375 with night sights on gunbroker. Not a bad deal for a first time pistol buyer... I hadn't shot one before, but I've fondled a couple different models at a LGS and have heard mostly very positive things about it.

http://i.imgur.com/8DMLQh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6AtwJh.jpg

It fits very well in my hand; it just feels right. My other choice was either a CZ75b or a P-07, the ergonomics of which are hard to beat for me (and apparently many others), but the Sig come in at a close second. The stippling is more aggressive then it looks, but not so much that it feels sharp (which the P-07 did to me). It's heavier than many polymer guns of the same size, but being that it's for home defense and something to take to the range, it doesn't concern me.

I took it home after picking it up from my FFL and noticed how stiff everything seemed. The take down pin felt like it was welded on there and required a great deal of force to finally get out. My hands are beat up from the line of work I'm currently in, and even for me it was difficult and rather painful. Same thing when swapping out the grip, it felt like it was never going to come out even while using so much force I was worried about damaging something. However, after taking it down, cleaning it, oiling, and getting 100 rounds through it today, everything is much smoother.

I shot 50 rounds of Federal 115 grain FMJ and 50 Federal 147 grain HP's at the range today. It ran perfectly, no issues of any kind.

Being new to pistol shooting, it's hard to compare the SP2022 to what I have shot before, being a M&P 9 and a Ruger SR9c I rented. Things like accuracy, recoil, and triggers are hard to be objective about when your experience is limited. With that said, here a few observations:

It's more accurate than I am, period.

I wanted a DA/SA pistol, so I prefer it over the M&P and the SR9c, based on that alone. It also did feel smoother than the others. The double action pull is heavy and long, but still smooth. The M&P I rented felt mushy and inconsistent, granted it was a rental gun of a very popular model. The SR9c felt a little grittier, again, taking into account it was a rental. Single action is much lighter on the Sig ,and very crisp. I didn't really notice the reset when I was shooting, so maybe that's a good sign? I'll remember to take note next time I get out.

Anyways, that's my first review of my first handgun. If anyone has any questions, comments, wants more pictures, or whatever, just let me know here.

Edit: Fixed pictures.

JDG
09-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Congrats on the win! Looks like you did good... One thing you can say about Sigs, they usually do run out of the box.

MSGT
09-06-2012, 03:32 PM
I have one also and can say i agree wit all you've stated, love the sa trigger.

Ibear1992
09-07-2012, 12:55 AM
This is my first handgun also. I bought one used from a guy on this sight for $380 about a year and a half ago. I've probably put 1000 round or more through it with ZERO issues. I usually shoot white box winchester target ammo. I love this gun. The one thing I will say is the da trigger is looooong and if I'm not paying enough attention I tend to jerk the trigger to try to get the shot off. But, that's obviously my fault, not the gun's. It just takes some getting used to.

jwhite
09-09-2012, 05:34 PM
I've noticed that the double action trigger seems to be a tad lighter after 150 rounds and probably 200 dry fires.