PDA

View Full Version : which one?

MJssr
09-06-2012, 11:40 PM
I am looking to get my first "can" and was looking for a little input on which model.
I am torn between these three models. I will be using them on a 10/22, browning buckmark and a rem 597 target.

Silencerco Sparrow
- pros - can shoot any rimfire round with it, possilbly thinking of getting my savage .17 threaded to host. I also like to mono core design
- cons - most expensive of the 3,
Gem-Tech Outback II
- pros - cheapest/lightest/smallest of the 3
- cons - .22lr only, but not a deal breaker
SWR Spectre II
- pros - many of the same pros (no monocore) but it is $100 cheaper

your input is greatly appreciated! :ar15:

Revdrshad
09-07-2012, 02:36 AM
I went with an Osprey by Silencerco.
I chose Silencerco, cuz they seem to be the top of the line, both with product, and customer service.
If I remember correctly, their Sparrow is the only one that comes apart for cleaning.
I figured if I'm puttting it on a trust, and passing it down to family members and paying a $200 tax stamp, I'm not gonna skimp on what I want.

Kinda like getting power windows, or Air conditioning on a new car. (Which I have never owned)

Head on over to silencertalk.com. There is TONS of info on their forums, and you'll be able to make a better decision on what you want/need.

Good luck...

Gloofy
09-07-2012, 04:47 AM
The AAC Element 2 has 41dB of sound reduction has stainless steel baffles so it can be dipped for cleaning and the tube is made from Titanium. It's rated for .22lr, .22mag, .17hm2 and .17HMR. Top of the line can.

Second choice would be a Sparrow.

Buy once, cry once.

1-504 PIR
09-07-2012, 06:36 AM
MJ...

Have you seen this video from SWR? It will give you a good idea of the sound reduction capabilities of certain suppressors, which may assist with your decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF_xsaJ-iyM

IndustrialRescue
09-07-2012, 09:01 AM
SilencerCo Sparrow, all the way!

Good to see you're going with the rimfire can first; it's the closest to hollywood quiet you'll get. Then you can step up to centerfire pistol and rifle cans later.

You may find yourself building something in 300BLK, as in a rifle, with a can, it sounds like a suppressed 22lr.

MJssr
09-07-2012, 09:28 AM
SilencerCo Sparrow, all the way!

Good to see you're going with the rimfire can first; it's the closest to hollywood quiet you'll get. Then you can step up to centerfire pistol and rifle cans later.

You may find yourself building something in 300BLK, as in a rifle, with a can, it sounds like a suppressed 22lr.

id love to go the .223/5.56 route but with this being my first can, its been hard enough to convince my wife that a $400 can is going to cost about a grand after the tax stamp and trust fees.

all three models im considering can be broke down and cleaned, im really between the Sparrow and SpectreII. decisions decisions

Hamsterstyle
09-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Have you looked at the Huntertown Arms suppressors? They are baffles instead of the monocore but great cans and from what I understand their customer service is second to none. They are also made just south of the border near Fort Wayne, IN. They require NO special tools to disassemble them, just a normal box wrench.

rjrivero
09-08-2012, 06:26 AM
I have a Sparrow and a Gemtech Alpine. The monocore is the sparrow's greatest strength, but also the greatest weakness.

The monocore allows for a lot of dead space in the suppressor, which contributes to the biggest complaint of the Sparrow: First round pop. All the monocore suppressors suffer from this.

The K baffled Alpine is a pretty nice little can, but the baffle stack requires more frequent cleaning or it's more likely to lock up solid.

Just some things to think about.

Huntertown makes nice suppressors. They are a big seller around here.

jmacken37
09-09-2012, 02:41 AM
Most of the current issue .22 cans allow for servicing. Most folks have only owned one .22 can, so take recommendations with a grain of salt. Remember when you buy a can, you are likely making a life-long purchase. Buy once; cry once applies.

That being said, my favorite .22 can right now is the SWR Spectre II. That click to assemble baffle stack is nice.

Jake

Revdrshad
09-11-2012, 05:49 PM
id love to go the .223/5.56 route but with this being my first can, its been hard enough to convince my wife that a $400 can is going to cost about a grand after the tax stamp and trust fees.

all three models im considering can be broke down and cleaned, im really between the Sparrow and SpectreII. decisions decisions

Trust: $400 (about)
Notorizing: $50
Filing with Court: $25
Osprey.45: $730
Piston: $90
Threaded Barrel: $145
Tax Stamp: $200

Total for first can: Around $1,640!

Luckily It was done in stages. For something that's gonna sit locked up 99.999999999% of the time, it's still kinda crazy now that I add it up.

My next 5.56 OR 7.62 silencer should run total of about $800. Maybe.

rjrivero
09-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Huntertown makes their new 5.56 Kestrel serviceable so you can use it in .22LR as well as 5.56.

This is a reveiw that was done by one of the guys in Adco's Shop on ARF.com LINK HERE. (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/374314_Huntertown_Arms_Kestrel_5_56_Review___Avail able_at_ADCO_Firearms.html)

Revdrshad
09-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the link, and info.
I like it a lot. I think I'd like to wait for a 7.62 version. I also hope they do like Yankee Hill did, and make Quick detach mounts that are interchangeable.
:thumbup:

Hamsterstyle
09-12-2012, 04:09 AM
Like this one?

http://www.huntertownarms.com/k762ak.php. :D

I have seen it offered at $449.00 so shop around a bit.

MJssr
09-12-2012, 09:34 PM
are there any stocking huntertown dealers in/near grand rapids?

fmkenner
09-12-2012, 10:14 PM
are there any stocking huntertown dealers in MI?

I ordered a Kestrel 22 and a Kestrel 556 from the guys at Auburn gun shop.
http://williamsgunshopauburn.com/

Revdrshad
09-17-2012, 05:29 PM
I just Fondled a Kestrel 5.56 at Top Gun in Taylor, Mi. ($379.99!!!)
Looks well built, fit and finish was superb. Threads were superb, Seemed to disassemble easily. These are going to probably have a long waiting list to get in stock once the word gets out. Which is good. It's nice to see a start up company putting out a top notch product.

I will absolutely be purchasing one very soon.

richtherake
09-17-2012, 07:59 PM
My local gun shop just got their class 3 and is about to get some suppressors in. They are a dealer for Thompson Machine (who I had never heard of).

After doing some research I plan on buying their Isis-22 for my first NFA item. My dealer quoted me $259.99 which is insane cheap for a can that you can disassemble to clean.

Might want to check them out:

Thompson Machine (http://www.thompsonmachine.net/)

Revdrshad
09-17-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't know how set you are on the Thompson Machine, But the Huntertown arms .22 is $179.99...

Revdrshad
09-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Personally, I like the idea of the "K" baffles in the Huntertown arms. It's supposed to eliminate the "FRP" or first round pop. A louder first shot sound from oxygen combustion in the suppressor.
It seems kinda strange to have monocore rifle baffles. (On the Thompson centerfire rifle suppressors.) I always thought they were mostly seperate baffle design used for higher powered rifles.

Keep us posted what you decide. :thup:

Nail Shooter
10-12-2012, 05:47 PM
are there any stocking huntertown dealers in/near grand rapids?

Call Gary's Guns located on Apple Ave just east of the expressway in Muskegon.

Nail

kbdm
10-13-2012, 08:22 AM
After all the start up costs for a trust, plus the tax stamp, definitely do not skimp on what you want pricewise.

I was too eager when getting my first can, did not do enough research and got the YHM Mite because it was "a bit" cheaper then the Sparrow and I had bought other YHM products and liked their work.

Now I'm considering another 250.00 to upgrade it.

Lesson learned.

ZYA_LTR
10-22-2012, 05:25 AM
From a current Silencerco SParrow owner......take a serious look at the Liberty Mystic......

It is my next purchase, a user seviceable 9mm can that is rated for rimfire as well as tons of other calibers such as .223/5.56 and .308 subsonic. It's a good bit more than a Sparrow, but with the range of calibers that it can be used on, it is a "do-all" can, and LIberty has awesome CS i have heard.

I do love my Sparrow, and don't regret my purchase either.

Detroit Holster
06-04-2013, 09:56 AM
We have the Gemtech Alpine and although only 200 rounds through it - we love it! - Cleaning soon -- research indicates that the Gunzilla product may work well.