PDA

View Full Version : Most Effective Suppressor for 300 Blk and 308 Win

rexzor2007
09-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Now that I've had some of the Silencer Kool-Aid...I want more. I would like to get a suppressor that will be useful for both a 300 Blk and 308, but considering the cost/time factor involved I would like to get recommendations for the best. I am looking for something that will allow me to shoot it safely without hearing protection (if that can even be done with any suppressor on a .308 ), this is my main factor. I am also looking for something that can be installed onto a muzzle device. The 300 Blk that I am going to use it on has a 8.5" barrel. I don't know if that will be a factor, but I have read on other forums that it is not recommended to use suppressors on pistol-length rifle barrels. I was looking at a AAC 762-SD, but I have no experience with rifle suppressors and have not had the chance to hear how well they perform, other than youtube videos. I will appreciate any guidance I can get. Thanks!

RECON762WT
09-09-2012, 06:42 PM
I am looking for something that will allow me to shoot it safely without hearing protection (if that can even be done with any suppressor on a .308 ) Generally speaking not unless your using subsonic 308 loads. From my experience hearing protection is still needed, . I am also looking for something that can be installed onto a muzzle device. You want whats called a QD mount. The 300 Blk that I am going to use it on has a 8.5" barrel. I don't know if that will be a factor, but I have read on other forums that it is not recommended to use suppressors on pistol-length rifle barrels.. Suppressors are rated for calibers not barrel lengths, it may ware your suppressor baffles quicker, but if you get a good mount it will be the break on the mount that takes most of the abuse and not the baffels I was looking at a AAC 762-SD, but I have no experience with rifle suppressors and have not had the chance to hear how well they perform, other than youtube videos. AAC makes a good can, Probably second only to surfire in the QD game. I went with a 7.62 SDN-6 because it is just a smidge shorter and has inconel (spelling) baffles instead of stainless steal if I had to go with a second choice it would have been the 7.62 SD. I will appreciate any guidance I can get. Thanks! Shop around and save for a higher end one. Suppressors are to costly from a time and money prospective not to get it right the first time.
:twocents:
Hopefully rjrevero will chime in, he is one of the subject matter experts on the form when it comes to cans.

rjrivero
09-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Now that I've had some of the Silencer Kool-Aid...I want more. I would like to get a suppressor that will be useful for both a 300 Blk and 308, but considering the cost/time factor involved I would like to get recommendations for the best. I am looking for something that will allow me to shoot it safely without hearing protection (if that can even be done with any suppressor on a .308 ), this is my main factor. I am also looking for something that can be installed onto a muzzle device. The 300 Blk that I am going to use it on has a 8.5" barrel. I don't know if that will be a factor, but I have read on other forums that it is not recommended to use suppressors on pistol-length rifle barrels. I was looking at a AAC 762-SD, but I have no experience with rifle suppressors and have not had the chance to hear how well they perform, other than youtube videos. I will appreciate any guidance I can get. Thanks!
Sound is a goofy thing to try to quantify. We often jump right to the dB rating(s) so we can have something concrete to measure. However, that's just one of the factors when it comes to sound and hearing damage. You also have to take into account pitch or frequency and duration of exposure.

To cause hearing damage you need a sound that's loud enough at a high enough frequency over enough time to cause damage to your ears. For instance the wind noise riding a motor cycle causes hearing loss. It's about 130dB if you are on a highway, for an hour, you have accumulated hearing loss just from wind noise! (This is the reason I have a constant ringing in my ears!)

A 308 supersonic load in a 20" bolt action is reported at 165-170dB depending where you're looking for that data.

Supersonic suppression numbers are about 25dB. The dB rating is going to be at 140dB give or take. According to every resource out there, you are still at the level that causes hearing damage at 140dB. LINK HERE (http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html) for example. Yet suppressor companies tell you this is "hearing safe." This is primarily due to the short duration of the sound. A jet engine at 140dB is a much different exposure than a lightning crack at 140dB.

Some will argue that because you are reducing noise to a comprable level as ear muffs, this is hearing safe. That's not exactly TRUE. For a single shot, hunting for instance, maybe that's true. But for a day on the range? Nope. You still need hearing protection.

Now, subsonic is different. Subsonic 308 starts (unsuppressed) at a lower starting point, like 155dB depending on where you get your data. Suppression can bring you down 30dB with the same suppressor that was getting you only 25dB previously because of the decreased volume of expanding gas you have to deal with. This will put you in the 125dB range with short duration, and often a lower pitch. This level has been reported as "comfortable."

So, as you can see, "hearing safe" is an elusive term.

As for using your can on a 300 BLACKOUT, Whisper, Fireball, or whatever-we're-calling-it-now-a-days.....It's not going to hurt a 308 can. You just don't have enough powder in that itty bitty cartridge to hurt your 308 baffles. In fact, if I'm shooting 300 Whisper/BLACKOUT,Fireball,wwcinad, subsonic, you're dealing with magnum pistol powders. You can suppress subsonic blackout with pistol suppressors.

That said, AAC and Surefire make great suppressors. Gemtech and SWR's also perform on par, or even perhaps a bit better. But their mounting systems aren't as sexy.

:twocents:
Hopefully rjrevero will chime in, he is one of the subject matter experts on the form when it comes to cans. Thank you for the kind words. I am really self taught on this subject. I do spend a LOT of time with as many different shooters as I can. I get to see a LOT of different gear.

Zane
09-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I don't know if that will be a factor, but I have read on other forums that it is not recommended to use suppressors on pistol-length rifle barrels. I was looking at a AAC 762-SD, but I have no experience with rifle suppressors and have not had the chance to hear how well they perform, other than youtube videos. I will appreciate any guidance I can get. Thanks!

If you want to make a trip down to Oakland county next week, I know a guy with a 300 BLK that has a 762-SD mounted on an AR style rifle. If schedules match, you can give it a shot. "That guy" also has an SS Sparrow and should hopefully have his .45 back from the 'smith that is threading it for a 45Osprey.

As a side note, I don't believe AAC is making the 762-SD anymore. Someone may have one of the shelf somewhere.

rexzor2007
09-10-2012, 09:03 PM
If you want to make a trip down to Oakland county next week, I know a guy with a 300 BLK that has a 762-SD mounted on an AR style rifle. If schedules match, you can give it a shot. "That guy" also has an SS Sparrow and should hopefully have his .45 back from the 'smith that is threading it for a 45Osprey.

As a side note, I don't believe AAC is making the 762-SD anymore. Someone may have one of the shelf somewhere.

Thanks very much for the offer, but between work and school I'm lucky to make it out of Adrian LOL. Actually the suppressor I own is for a .45 and I love it. Now, if the 300 Blk can be made as quite, or more, than what my Blackside-45 does for my Glock 21 I'd be sold on whatever suppressor could do it.

rjrivero
09-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Now, if the 300 Blk can be made as quite, or more, than what my Blackside-45 does for my Glock 21 I'd be sold on whatever suppressor could do it.
Any number of suppressors will do that, if you are using subsonic ammo in your 300 BLACKOUT.

Hamsterstyle
09-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Any number of suppressors will do that, if you are using subsonic ammo in your 300 BLACKOUT.
Yeah, the 300blk is Hollywood quiet. :). Here are a couple Indiana boys shooting 200 yards at some Bobcat Steel targets. The little fella in the foreground is actually a Crickett with a can and a scope. When he says it's an 80 click adjustment, he wasn't kidding. Haha. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, fast forward to about 6:20. That's when things get "happy". Watching that gun in person is what actually sold me 100% on the 300blk for my SBR build. (one of the perks of living in Indy :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbJMatOOnvc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

rexzor2007
09-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Give than any number will accomplish this, are there any particular one's you might suggest or have had good experience with?

rjrivero
09-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Give than any number will accomplish this, are there any particular one's you might suggest or have had good experience with?
That'll depend on what you want to do ultimately.

If you want something that will handle subs and supers, pick your favorite 308 can.

If you want something that can handle pistol and subs only, then you can go with any 9mm suppressor and be very happy with the result.

Since I shoot 300 BLACKOUT with cast bullets, I shoot with a takedown 9mm suppressor. I'm pretty happy with that result.

IndustrialRescue
09-14-2012, 08:39 AM
YHM is also a good choice, and marginally less expensive than AAC. Hughes Precision is a company here in MI that makes cans, too.

Any 308 can will work with 300BLK. For subsonic 300BLK, MANY 9mm cans will also work.