PDA

View Full Version : H.B. 5853 Property tax exemption for police and firefighters

Tallbear
09-13-2012, 09:37 AM
HB 5853 of 2012 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2012-HB-5853)
Property tax; exemptions; principal residence exemption for police and fire personnel who reside and work in same county; provide for. Amends 1893 PA 206 (MCL 211.1 - 211.155) by adding sec. 7qq.
Last Action: 9/12/2012 printed bill filed 09/12/2012

who dat
09-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Special treatment for another class? I think not.

I'm quite surprised to find that this Rep. Heise is a Republican.

luckless
09-13-2012, 02:23 PM
There's one representative that doesn't need to be reelected.

Divegeek
09-13-2012, 05:37 PM
This bill is horrible. It doesn't define exactly what constitutes a police officer or fireman. Does this apply to volunteer firemen? How about parttime police officers?

45/70fan
09-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Lets include veterans, militia, EMS, medical personnel and anyone else that defends this country-meaning all of us whether in uniform or just following the 2nd Amendment.

zigziggityzoo
09-13-2012, 08:51 PM
What, exactly, is the benefit of an officer living in the same county he works in?

gatekeeper
09-14-2012, 05:51 PM
What, exactly, is the benefit of an officer living in the same county he works in?

More of the county payroll money stays in the county.

who dat
09-15-2012, 09:15 AM
More of the county payroll money stays in the county.

What about the ones that live in your county yet work outside your county. It all works out.

langenc
09-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Some jurisdictions used to require residence for fireman at least and I suppose police also.

Had to do with 'response time' in an emergency.

No more special groups, congress is one too many.

SomeGun
09-16-2012, 12:09 PM
So what is the thought behind this?

G22
09-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Maybe we should pay their mortgage, utilities, food and bar tabs for them too....

45/70fan
09-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Maybe we should pay their mortgage, utilities, food and bar tabs for them too....

Okay, but I refuse to pay for their donuts and coffee.

Leader
09-16-2012, 08:24 PM

Leader
09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
They get donuts free don't they?

What's wrong with you people?
Don't you want to help our underpaid and underprivileged heros?

Don't you understand how *SPECIAL* they are?

G22
09-16-2012, 08:49 PM
What id really like to know is did the police and fire unions ask for this legislation or did this guy come up with this on his own?

luckless
09-17-2012, 07:46 AM
As much as I appreciate the police and fire services, it is time for the lawmakers in Lansing to understand that they are not a special interest group nor are they a constituency. They are employees and should receive the same benefits and rights of any other government employee.

If anyone deserves free property taxes it would be our VOLUNTEER fire department members. These guys get very little compensation for risking their lives for the rest of us.

Garbo
09-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Some jurisdictions used to require residence for fireman at least and I suppose police also.

Had to do with 'response time' in an emergency.

No more special groups, congress is one too many.

Detroit did up till about 15 years ago.

Leader
09-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Detroit did up till about 15 years ago.

If I'm not mistaken, Detroit was GIVING people houses FREE to entice them to be DPD officers and live in the city.

Isn't that enough?

duck9191
09-17-2012, 11:00 AM
i think i would rater see fair wages for fire/ems then property taxes being exempt. most of the time now the guy saving your life could make more money at burger king flipping burgers and have more opportunities to move up. my dad was a volunteer firefighter for 15 years, he missed alot of nights, holidays and special occasions with our family to do what he loved. they where paid $8 per call, where it was a medical emergency or a structure fire, most calls still averaged 1.5 to 2 hours so he sure wasn't doing it for the money. this is also why it is so hard to find people to volunteer, most people can afford to give away what little free time they have or risk missing a day of work due to being stuck on seen all night.

Passthru
10-07-2012, 09:33 PM
If not being unfair isn't enough. We just can't afford to do these things. If anyone should get it it should be no taxes for military personal while actively serving at the very least. JMHO

Jay

John R
10-09-2012, 12:56 PM
If not being unfair isn't enough. We just can't afford to do these things. If anyone should get it it should be no taxes for military personal while actively serving at the very least. JMHO

Jay

Now this actually makes sense.
But only while serving.

DP425
10-11-2012, 12:03 AM

Jay

Not for property, but we are already excluded from income taxes in the state of Michigan (not federally of course- as the old saying goes- uncle sam will give you $100 and take back $99)

hendo
10-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Okay, but I refuse to pay for their donuts and coffee.

You already are silly :lol:

shoxroxice
10-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Special treatment for another class? I think not.

Exactly. This legislation is BS at it's finest.

libertarian623
12-09-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm a fireman/paramedic full time, I make 14.80/hr, I get overtime pay only after I work 56 hours in a week, and I am not allowed to participate in social security. I get a small pension when I retire that 90% of comes out of my pocket. I work alongside of some of our finest police officiers, who are in the same situation. We are there for each other, we have each others backs. We belong to a group that few will ever understand. We love our jobs, god knows why. Our jobs are never done there will always be crimes to stop, people to rescue, and fires to put out. We did't ask for this(although thanks for the though). But listening to all the ******** above makes me glad we decided to unionize, because you don't have a **(^$#* clue what we do.

duck9191
12-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Be lucky you make that. A number of my friends that work for ambulance companies around here are making minimum wage or just above. My dad was a volunteer ff/medic for 20 years and sacrifice a lot for nothing in return, I understand how you feel but I feel that there is different ways to help first responders that would possibly be more beneficial to everyone, but the way the government is currently they don't care.

Leader
12-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm a fireman/paramedic full time, I make 14.80/hr, I get overtime pay only after I work 56 hours in a week, and I am not allowed to participate in social security. I get a small pension when I retire that 90% of comes out of my pocket. I work alongside of some of our finest police officiers, who are in the same situation. We are there for each other, we have each others backs. We belong to a group that few will ever understand. We love our jobs, god knows why. Our jobs are never done there will always be crimes to stop, people to rescue, and fires to put out. We did't ask for this(although thanks for the though). But listening to all the ******** above makes me glad we decided to unionize, because you don't have a **(^$#* clue what we do.

Wait a minute... If a 10 Min. 3 Mile ride costs $1000 -$1500. Why don't you and the driver get more?
Oh... And if you don't have insurance, closer to $2500.

duck9191
12-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Wait a minute... If a 10 Min. 3 Mile ride costs $1000 -$1500. Why don't you and the driver get more?
Oh... And if you don't have insurance, closer to $2500.

Because some executive needs another vacation spot lol. Medical industry is a scam over all.

TAC
12-09-2012, 05:19 PM

Shorter drive to work? :shrugs:

zigziggityzoo
12-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Shorter drive to work? :shrugs:

As I am the taxpayer being potentially shouldered with his/her tax bill, I'm more specifically asking what is the benefit TO ME?

SteakNEggs
12-09-2012, 05:43 PM

Well I do and seeing your boo-hoo attitude is like ordering a Big Mac and then complaining you got a Big Mac.

Want more in life? Do something else during your two off, many do. Educate yourself and aspire for a command position. Don't expect a civilian to blindly bow down to seeing yet another special class of citizen who because of their chosen career path, dictates they don't pay taxes others do.

MP Miller
12-09-2012, 05:52 PM
What id really like to know is did the police and fire unions ask for this legislation or did this guy come up with this on his own?

I bet he had help.

Roundballer
12-09-2012, 06:21 PM
There is no sense in arguing about this bill. It was introduced, sent to committee and has sat there ever since. It has not passed either house, and there are about 3 days left in this session. This is a dead horse, quit beating it.

zigziggityzoo
12-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Personal attacks are not tolerated.

libertarian623
12-10-2012, 09:38 AM
I guess Steak, missed the point of my comment WE DIDN'T ASK FOR IT AND DON'T WANT IT BUT. But I sure would like to be treated like everyone else.

MP Miller
12-10-2012, 07:38 PM
If a city or county government wants to exempt their workers from property tax as a part of their compensation, that's great, but I don't know why the state would do this for a whole class of government workers.

Also there are more people who want to be fire fighters then there are fire fighter jobs so from a supply and demand stance, they are paid the right amount.

libertarian623
12-11-2012, 04:31 PM
I guess your right about that MP, but right now in michigan I don't know of any job posting that doesn't get a hundred app's. Hence I guess we are all overpaid.

MP Miller
12-11-2012, 10:40 PM
I guess your right about that MP, but right now in michigan I don't know of any job posting that doesn't get a hundred app's. Hence I guess we are all overpaid.

The check on that is how much the city wants to keep the best workers (firemen) because there will always be someone else willing to pay more for your best guys. If the city isn't having a retention problem then the pay is probably about right.

langenc
01-29-2013, 07:10 PM
So what is the thought behind this?

As an early poster said--NO special treatment for certain groups-taxes, exempt CPLs or anything else.

Leader
01-29-2013, 07:24 PM
As an early poster said--NO special treatment for certain groups-taxes, exempt CPLs or anything else.

But you don't understand how special cops are.
They put their lives on the line for you everyday even though their job isn't in the top ten most dangerous in the US. Not as dangerous as the truck drivers they "protect" us from.