PDA

View Full Version : sig 238

Ibear1992
09-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I've seen some videos about carrying this gun and it seems common for people to carry it cocked and locked with the saftey on(which I think is implied by the term locked). I understand that this is done to keep the hammer off of the firing pin when a round is chambered. My only problem with this is that I was always told to never trust that your saftey is going to keep your gun from firing. My question is is this a more safe way to carry than saftey off and hammer down with one in the chamber. I don't carry, own, or even know anyone who has one of these. I'm just curious about the safest way one would carry this pistol. I'm sure that this is a pretty frequently asked question so my apologies in advance.

MSGT
09-16-2012, 03:13 PM
This is the method of carry for almost everyone carrying a 1911 type pistol and even though much smaller, the P238 is that style. Perfectly safe with correct handling practices.

Musta Demoni
09-16-2012, 05:07 PM
This is the method of carry for almost everyone carrying a 1911 type pistol and even though much smaller, the P238 is that style. Perfectly safe with correct handling practices.

Agreed. Make sure you also invest in a quality holster and perhaps do some more research and/or get enrolled in a training course. But as has been stated, it's basically a 1911 type set up and almost everyone who carries such a gun will carry cocked and locked (condition 1).

Samurai Jack
09-16-2012, 06:16 PM
My question is this a more safe way to carry than saftey off and hammer down with one in the chamber.

If you actually mean hammer down on a live round and safety off on a single action 1911 style pistol? Than this is absolutely one of the worst ways to carry it. None of the safety mechanisms are on and impacting/contacting the hammer can set the round off.

Ibear1992
09-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I have zero experience with 1911 style pistols. Everything I've shot has been dao or da/sa. I didn't think that hammer down on a loaded round made much sence, I just wasn't sure about keeping the hammer back on a sao pistol. But if thats how it is supposed to be, and commonly is carried, I can't argue with that. Definately will get some practice/ training with it if I decide to get one for carry. Thanks again.

heckufaguy
02-10-2013, 03:05 PM
If you actually mean hammer down on a live round and safety off on a single action 1911 style pistol? Than this is absolutely one of the worst ways to carry it. None of the safety mechanisms are on and impacting/contacting the hammer can set the round off.

Not to mention the 238 does not have a decocking lever, so any attempt to release the hammer into the down position with a live round in the chamber is one thumb slip from a live fire.

I carry condition 1 on all my guns. At the range I practice that way too. Load gun, chamber round, put safety on and set pistol down. Then pick up, swipe off safety and fire. Every magazine. My brain will remember even if I forget.

knightsgoalie39
09-06-2013, 03:14 PM
If you're worried about carrying with the hammer back, look for a holster with a strap between the hammer. IF the hammer falls, it should fall on the strap and not fire.

heyyoustoopid
09-14-2013, 05:25 PM
The P238 has a firing pin block.

keen one
09-17-2013, 11:32 AM
The 1911 platform is inherantly safe with the grip safety that operates in harmony with the trigger pull and mechanical safety. Cocked and locked is standard practice with most slide action and auto loading shotguns with no concern among the users.

If being a handgun caused more concern, carry condtion 3. Empty chamber. I usually carry in condtion 3 as a matter of my own comfort. (horizontal under the arm holster covers everything behind me).