PDA

View Full Version : wasr10

Ibear1992
09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Just bought a used century arms wasr10 this weekend. Not sure how many round the previous owner put through it but it definately has been shot.

Any way its a wasr and it looks like crap, not because of its condition, but just because its a wasr. It looks cheap, the wood stock looks cheap and kinda junky. I meen, it doesn't look like s**t or anything, its just not pretty, especially compared to some other (more expensive) aks.

This guns is pretty damn good. I put over one hundred steel case cheapo wal mart rounds through it yesterday with out any hiccups of any kind. Its pretty acurate, although we were only shooting at maybe 20 yards and I'm not exactly the shooting authority when it comes to acurracy, but its good enough for me. The best part of my trip yesterday was that my cousin brought his stag arms ar 15 with him and he had two faiures to feed with better quality ammo. One was the round its self's fault because it reccessed into the cassing when it was being fed into the cahmber and it jammed half way in. But the other was just a regular old ftf. Gotta love spending half as much on an ak and not getting any failures.

Bottom line, the wasr is not very pretty or as nice as other aks, but its cheaper and it goes bang. Definatley worth the money.

JDG
09-17-2012, 04:34 AM
AKs are crude looking unless you refinish the wood. 3rd world countrys like them because they compliment the dirt floors in their huts.:hick:

PTAaron
09-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Wife and I picked one up when Dunham's was having their hunting sale - it is way too much fun for only around $400!

The wood on it does look pretty cheap - but we are replacing it with an adjustable stock anyway. Just need to take it into a gunsmith to get the bolt removed from the end of the barrel so we can get a proper tip on it!

Danco411
09-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Stock WASR's are fugly no doubt. But they can be made to look good and shoot better. I call it the "Arsenal" treatment. :cheers:

If you like wood then refinishing is simple. Sand it down starting with 120 grit, move to 240 and finish with 400. There is a simple stain you can buy at Home Depot that is a paste and comes in a small tube. Can't for the life of me remember what it's called but it is highly concentrated and comes in a bunch of different colors. I like black. Wear gloves then apply the stain thoroughly covering the wood. The longer you leave it on the darker it will be. Wipe it off with a clean rag. If you want it darker do it again until you get the saturation you want. Then apply a coat of clear shellac. I use Spar Urethane. Add a thick coat and let try. When dry lightly sand with 400 grit then recoat. Do it a third time and you have a very nice finish.

As for the welded on slant break you don't need a gunsmith to remove. Just use a dremel cut off wheel and run it around the brake. Take material away from the brake not the muzzle tip. They are all threaded underneath just spot welded on. Once you have the old off you can put whatever AK brake or flash hider you want on it.

The other reason they look terrible is the crappy phosphate they apply. You can easily paint over this by doing a thorough degrease cleaning using carb cleaner. You can either use duracoat, KG Gunkote, Cerakote or moly resin to refinish it. To apply any of these higher end finishes correctly you should blast with alumimum oxide to get the old finish off and prep the surface. Of course you can apply these over the old finish but it won't be as durable. You can also use regulary Krylon or Rustoleum. It will look alot better but may need touch up more frequently.

WASR's are very functional rifles and a ton of fun and cheap to shoot. If your into the beater look then leave it. But if you want it to look nice it's not hard to fix up.

hulettis
09-17-2012, 03:06 PM
You can always pick up a set of battlefield used wood for like 30 bucks form apex.

dencarloz
03-10-2013, 04:36 PM
i love my wasr refinished the wood but then change the stock for a east german wire folder very happy with the looks now!i also replace the muzzle brake for a slant brake i cut the weld slowly with a hacksaw and that did it!:surprise: i do need some williams peep sights for ak i think that be my next change!

dwcopple
03-11-2013, 06:30 AM
I NEED A $400 WASR!!!

agentorange
03-11-2013, 06:43 AM
I put well over 1000+ threw mine before I sold it for a ar15 ever one malfunction. I wouldn't think twice about trusting my life with it.

MSGT
03-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I NEED A $400 WASR!!!

GOOD LUCK

Liberty's Teeth
03-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Aahhh, the days of the $400 WASR..long gone, just like the economy.

rexzor2007
03-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Aahhh, the days of the $400 WASR..long gone, just like the economy.

The only differnce is $400 WASR will be back before we know it. The economy...that's a differnt story...

ka64
03-14-2013, 05:32 PM
The only differnce is $400 WASR will be back before we know it. The economy...that's a differnt story...

Never get below $600.................

historicfirearms
03-15-2013, 09:23 AM
I've got a few AKs and have owned even more. I think the WASR has been given a bad rep by gun snobs. It is a good rifle. I'd rather have my WASR than my mak90 in a teotwawki situation. It's lighter and has a better trigger, more accurate too. Century did screw up some with canted sights and crappy mag well enlargement, but most are ok.

1quikz28
06-23-2013, 01:39 AM
i love my wasr it shoots like a dream, has very little mag wobble, straight sights, snd its cheap.

Fred
06-23-2013, 09:45 PM
My son gave me a WASR10 for Christmas a couple years ago. Well, it's actually still his because it has a folding stock it's a pistol. I've replaced what little wood it had with plastic. Now it looks awsome! Especially with a red dot scope and a bayo. This one was having lots of ftf problems till I did some file work on it. Now it shoots just fine. I can't hit a thing with the stock folded though.

Mica
10-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Over the years I have considered these, but each time I handled one at Dunham's they seemed so cheap and flimsy. The stock reminded me of those Mattel pop guns from the old days.

Glad to hear they are actually pretty good.

dwcopple
10-14-2013, 05:54 AM
yeah, glad I went with a Yugo built on the RPK trunion.

Slossar1004
10-16-2013, 03:14 AM
Three months and about 400 rounds later and I'm still waiting for my WASR-10 to fail. Replaced the wood with composite, did a hydro dip/BBQ rattlecan finish and put a Belarus scope mount for my Vortex Strike Fire and I'm very pleased with it. I must have gotten lucky because I only paid $499 at a LGS in Flint.

.38special
10-16-2013, 08:39 AM
If i could only keep one of my guns, My wasr will always be by my side.
i bought it over 2 years ago since then ive put 2 spam cans thru it ( 1280 rnds)
not a single fail, no mag wobble, just a lot of fun with a gun for me and my family.

Anyone who wants to bad talk a wasr is simply and AR fan that is jealous that mine still fires when the time comes.:ak47: