PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Suppressor

dgansen
09-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Kind of a long story on how I got into this position...

For the past four weeks, I've been enrolled in college for precision machining. I would very much like to try my hand at building a suppressor on a Form 1. While I have no previous skills, the course goes very in depth.

Some of the designs I have seen don't look too terribly complicated, but I always assume that any project will end up being 10x harder than what you initially think. However, I'm only 18, so while it's perfectly legal to fill out a Form 1 and build a suppressor, I'm pretty limited on being able to buy one, since Class III dealers are out of the question.

As for the subject line... I would like to build a suppressor to pin to a 10.5" upper. We've all seen the goofy 11.5" uppers with long flash hiders to 16", I figured "why not get something that gives you some benefit for your drop in muzzle velocity?"

Where would I go to find information on the skills involved to build one? I know nothing, and would like to gather as much information as possible before shelling out $200 to build parts that cant be replaced.

Also, regarding the idea in general; do you guys think it's worth it? To anyone who wants a suppressed SBR, this seems like a great MI-Legal compromise. Thanks for the input!

-dgansen

rjrivero
09-17-2012, 06:10 PM
You haven't mentioned what caliber you're planning on suppressing.

There is nothing hard about making suppressors. They aren't overly complicated. www.silencertalk.com has a silencersmithing section that can help you figure out what you want to do.

pgaplayerless
09-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Kind of a long story on how I got into this position...

For the past four weeks, I've been enrolled in college for precision machining. I would very much like to try my hand at building a suppressor on a Form 1. While I have no previous skills, the course goes very in depth.

Some of the designs I have seen don't look too terribly complicated, but I always assume that any project will end up being 10x harder than what you initially think. However, I'm only 18, so while it's perfectly legal to fill out a Form 1 and build a suppressor, I'm pretty limited on being able to buy one, since Class III dealers are out of the question.

As for the subject line... I would like to build a suppressor to pin to a 10.5" upper. We've all seen the goofy 11.5" uppers with long flash hiders to 16", I figured "why not get something that gives you some benefit for your drop in muzzle velocity?"

Where would I go to find information on the skills involved to build one? I know nothing, and would like to gather as much information as possible before shelling out $200 to build parts that cant be replaced.

Also, regarding the idea in general; do you guys think it's worth it? To anyone who wants a suppressed SBR, this seems like a great MI-Legal compromise. Thanks for the input!

-dgansen

No. In order for fixed suppressor to be considered part of the barrel, it would have to be welded on, etc for the gun to not be SBR and the entire suppressor could not be serviceable....so forget about cleaning it.

Wolvee
09-17-2012, 09:47 PM
The baffles and internal cylinder can be built/designed to be welded and integral. Basically to be able to service, you would need to be able to unscrew a shroud to service the internal part that's welded on.

This is easily done with the right imagination and design skill.

fmkenner
09-20-2012, 02:37 AM
This guy built one too. May give you ideas. Take a look.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/199744_Homemade_can____FORM_1.html