PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: Guess I have to go the Trust route

richtherake
09-17-2012, 08:27 PM
My local shop just got it's Class 3 and I was planning on purchasing a suppressor (.22 to start for my M&P 22 and my Savage Mark II FV-SR).

They suggested that I contact my CLEO (which is the Sheriff of Manistee County) before I purchase the can to make sure that he'll sign off on it.

Left a message with the clerk at the Sheriff's Office last Monday. Got a reply from the secretary on Friday of last week.

Conversation was drug out and confusing. She kept saying that, "he doesn't have to sign it" which was confusing to me and I kept insisting that he would have to sign it if I was going to have the item. Her tone was so far off that I thought that he thought I didn't need his signature to own the suppressor.

Finally after about 10 minutes she says "He won't sign it" and I said "why didn't you just say that 10 minutes ago?". Apparently the Sheriff of my County will only sign something if he HAS to sign it. So the "research" he did during the week was asking the DA if he "had" to sign it.

I haven't followed through much on the topic since I've been extremely busy. I want to set up an appointment with him and find out exactly what is going on and where his stance is but I'm not the best at finding good arguments that would support NFA item ownership.

How would you proceed with my Sheriff? I am pretty perturbed with his mentality on the subject.

I'm thinking that it would be easier to get a NFA Gun Trust and be done with it.

So I'm asking for advice on good attorneys in the State of Michigan that will do a trust for about $400. I'm not going to pay over $600 since that is ridiculous.

Anyone have someone they would suggest?

Made_in_Michigan
09-17-2012, 08:33 PM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=147300&highlight=Trust

Most of what you need to know is here...

Roundballer
09-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Personally, I would be a little vindictive.

I would politely go into the meeting with your form-4s in hand and ask him to sign them. Explain to him that you are offering this to him as a courtesy. If he refuses to sign them, politely apologize for taking up his time, you just thought that he might like to know of these types of items in his jurisdiction. Gather up your forms and tell him that you will create a trust that doesn't need his sign-off and that you will not bother him in the future.

Take your time in leaving, give him just a few seconds to consider what you just said. If he still doesn't bend, go set up a trust.

richtherake
09-17-2012, 09:06 PM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=147300&highlight=Trust

Most of what you need to know is here...

How did I miss that? :gaga:

Thanks for posting it.

Revdrshad
09-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Shyster is a good guy. He'll get you taken care of with little delay...
Good luck, and keep us posted with what you buy.:gossip:

StoneyBones
09-18-2012, 01:47 AM

Yooper55
09-18-2012, 08:49 AM
i would set up the trust then get all your NFA items and take a picture with you and all of it and a big smile on your face. them send that to the sheriff...give him the finger too...but make sure you smile!
Yes as I remember the middle finger pointing up, or the "BIRD" is the COAST GUARDS symbol for "EVERYTHING IS OK" !!!! Just smile.

HK USP
09-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Shyster did mine and I am very happy with the results!!! you can contact him from here.

rjrivero
09-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Members of this board who are Lawyers and doing trusts that I know of are (in alphabetical order.)
dekulaw
Hyperion
mpearce
shyster

Revdrshad
09-18-2012, 11:46 PM
i would set up the trust then get all your NFA items and take a picture with you and all of it and a big smile on your face. them send that to the sheriff...give him the finger too...but make sure you smile!

+1 on this. Just don't make it look like a threat at all. Take the bigger guy route and Maybe extend the offer of letting him shoot your items... With his supplied ammo. Maybe you can change his mind about NFA items. :cheers:

Remnar
09-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Going to recomend Shyster for a trust. He did mine and I am very happy with it. Even the BATF liked it as I got my stamp last week!

I went the trust route for pretty much the same reason as the Genesee County Sheriff gave me the run around when I asked.

Good luck!

richtherake
09-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Shyster and I have been exchanging information via e-mail. Will be doing a trust through him.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was pretty vindictive when I got off the phone but it faded. Now I want to set up an actual appointment with the sheriff to see just how ignorant he is.

Thanks

Rich

Remnar
09-20-2012, 08:03 AM
A trust is also usefull as a means to set up the use of the item by multiple family members. It also allows for any items listed in the trust to be "passed down' without a 200 transfer when you pass away.

For example. A father and son listed as co trustees allows both parties to posses and use the item. Upon the fathers passing the son then continues to maintain the trust and item without having to pay Uncle Sam another 200 dollars to transfer.

My 2 cents.

rjrivero
09-20-2012, 08:07 AM
A trust is also usefull as a means to set up the use of the item by multiple family members. It also allows for any items listed in the trust to be "passed down' without a 200 transfer when you pass away.

For example. A father and son listed as co trustees allows both parties to posses and use the item. Upon the fathers passing the son then continues to maintain the trust and item without having to pay Uncle Sam another 200 dollars to transfer.My 2 cents.
Moot point. In the event of legal inheritance, the transfer is handled with a form 5.

Remnar
09-20-2012, 02:17 PM
My mistake. Sorry.

Thanks for clearing up my misinformation.

Remnar

rjrivero
09-20-2012, 02:53 PM
My mistake. Sorry.

Thanks for clearing up my misinformation.

Remnar
No worries. We all started at the same point. The other points about a trust are spot on. Inheritance just doesn't happen to be one of them.

Shyster
09-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Another advantage is if you purchase multiple suppressors. You no longer have to submit photographs and fingerprints for each one. That alone is a big convenience.

HK USP
09-21-2012, 08:59 AM

For example. A father and son listed as co trustees allows both parties to posses and use the item. Upon the fathers passing the son then continues to maintain the trust and item without having to pay Uncle Sam another 200 dollars to transfer.

My 2 cents.
although setting up the trust is a hassle, and costs more, it will save your family in the long run and the reason I had Shyster set up mine...