PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Range expierence

plant.one
09-17-2012, 10:57 PM
I made my first visit this weekend to Island Lake. Have shot at a couple of the other state public ranges - mostly up at rose lake near lansing. On my limited public range expierence i'm used to the 'keep them cased until you're on the firing line' rules they have in place - including out at island lake.

Yet walking in i see a guy walking across the parking lot with an uncased shotgun over his shoulder, see several walking in/out of the 'clubhouse' and even more walking down the range paths between the various clay stations.

when i questioned the rifle range officer on my way out to get a clarification on the rules that he explained to me when i arrived - i was informed that apparently shot-gunners get special exceptions there because of their sporting clays range which is a mile or more long trail. He expressed his agreement with my statement and offered to let me speak with management, but i declined - i had other things to do. I did ask him to pass my concern up to management in my stead since i didn't have time to do so myself.

Is this normal?

The problem i see is - i'm a CPL holder, and if i carry my pistol in concealed - i'm not allowed to unconceal my legally carried firearm, change magazines, and target practice with it. That's against the rules and will get me removed from the range. But you can walk around with shotguns out of their case and its ok?

Am i the only one who see's a double standard going on here?

Feedback appreciated.

wsr
09-17-2012, 11:09 PM
so what did you ask?

stort7683
09-17-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the club house is run by Michigan Shooting Centers LLC, and not run by the DNR.

http://www.mishoot.com/#!home/mainPage

shifty_85
09-19-2012, 02:16 AM
i always see the clay shooters walking around with there shottys not un common up there. i never pay any mind to it.

partdeux
09-19-2012, 02:45 AM
I'm pretty sure the club house is run by Michigan Shooting Centers LLC, and not run by the DNR.

http://www.mishoot.com/#!home/mainPage
They follow DNR's made up rules.

Question to the OP, why were you bothered by seeing someone carrying a firearm?

jmanz6
09-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Why is it so strange to have different rules for different areas of the range? The people on the shotgun course are supposed to have the actions open when not in a stand, so there are rules. I shoot clays there all the time. It's typical for all clays courses to have similar rules regarding carrying your shotgun on the course.

Were you frieghtened by the sight of people with shotguns in the open? Or are you just feeling it's unfair that you cant walk around with your pistol/rifle out of it's case.

I've used the rifle/pistol range at Bald Mtn and never thought twice about the different rules.

shifty_85
09-20-2012, 03:12 AM
yeah i always see the double and over under guys with them broken on there shoulders. when i shot skeet at just the pad the rule was only load on the line chamber open when not shooting. skeet shooting seemed to be more relaxing than the rifle range as far as rules for sure.

ekick
09-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Wait, you can't take out your concealed pistol and shoot it at Bald Mountain? I mean, not draw and shoot, but just carry it to the range in a holster, shoot it, then put it back in the holster?

shifty_85
09-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Wait, you can't take out your concealed pistol and shoot it at Bald Mountain? I mean, not draw and shoot, but just carry it to the range in a holster, shoot it, then put it back in the holster?

i know island lake they go threw a little thing about how they respect the CPL's but if you want to shoot the hand gun there it must be unloaded and in a case.

partdeux
09-22-2012, 04:26 PM
i know island lake they go threw a little thing about how they respect the CPL's but if you want to shoot the hand gun there it must be unloaded and in a case.
they recently told me my pistol in my IWB, with a tucked in shirt had to be covered up, it could not be visible.

maustin195
09-22-2012, 07:35 PM
They follow DNR's made up rules.

Question to the OP, why were you bothered by seeing someone carrying a firearm?
Didn't appear he was bothered by the shotguns being carried. He didn't care for different rules for how a legally carried pistol can't be shot at the range but other guns can. I find it interesting that the range allows shotguns to be carried on the golf carts uncased which is against the law yet make up stupid rules and claim they are laws.

maustin195
09-22-2012, 07:37 PM
That is correct, you cant shoot a gun carried to the range in a holster.

Bcar
09-24-2012, 01:26 PM
The only thing ILRA shooting range is good for is sporting clays. Their rifle/pistol ranges draw a lot of window-lickers. I understand having important safety rules, esp for all the idiots that go there, but there comes a point... Last time we were there they insisted on putting an orange zip tie with an orange flag on it INTO my barrel after it was shot/hot, I refused and made him wait while I cased my weapons and left. In the past they have let us just lay it on top showing that it was clear, what kind of idiots put low melting point plastic into hot barrels? I wonder how many issues that has caused without anyone knowing why... Why do I even bother going anywhere other than P46...oh yeah, my wife likes the mtn bike trails there better than at poto :(

partdeux
09-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Why do I even bother going anywhere other than P46...oh yeah, my wife likes the mtn bike trails there better than at poto :(
P46?

JohnJak
09-25-2012, 11:39 AM
DNR don't like Cowboys.