PDA

View Full Version : Waffen Werks AK-74. First Impressions.

Kralimus
09-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Hello MGO.

I had been looking at obtaining an AK-74 during the recent months and I finally broke down and got my hands on a Waffen Werks AK-74.

For those who may not know the Waffen Werks is a Bulgarian parts kit built on a US made receiver (Made by Waffen Werks now) and barrel (I think ESS). I did some research around and I have to say, I think this is the best 74 on the market for the price. The KG Gun Cote is fantastic, gives the metal a great look. And the wood furniture that came with it is in fair condition. (minor dings and scratches, but no cracks) I might refinish it down the road. The barrel and muzzle break are chrome lined, though the barrel is not hammer forged.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/486744_10152109106840311_1957029079_n.jpg

The fitting on the rifle is TIGHT. The safety selector takes a bit of force to move, surplus and US magazines have NO wobble. And the dust cover is surprisingly hard to pull up. It will loosen up with a bit of use and lubrication so I am not concerned with it for now. The action is buttery smooth and the tapco G2 trigger is very crisp and predictable.

:surprise:

The price tag was $640 from the fine folks at Atlantic Firearms who shipped it in a hard-case . This is without a doubt a higher quality rifle then the stuff you can get from Century. And with Arsenal prices climbing you get a very comparable rifle for around $300 less.

I hope to get to the range soon so I can give an accuracy and performance report.

HVYMTLMEC
09-19-2012, 01:52 PM
The safety selector takes a bit of force to move

Don't be afraid to pullout on the safety lever. A little bending it won't hurt it to lighten up the selector. Welcome to the club.

Tango125INF11b
09-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Wow brother. You picked up a steal. I have the same one from W.W. and the quality on it is phenomenal. The place I bought it from asked me a couple weeks ago of they could have it back. (seriously, no joke). I got mine with a Bakelite mag and 7 mil surp bulgy mags for 575. It's a great rifle, accurate, and reliable. Good buy man.

JohnJak
09-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Your wooden floor needs to be refinished.

Pyzik
09-20-2012, 09:01 AM
While your at it, mine could use a refinish too.

Great rifle! Thanks for the write up.

cobra45
09-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Nice 74! i saw your add a while back but could not bring myself to part with my old SAR 2, looks like you made a good choice. :ak2:

Kralimus
09-20-2012, 12:55 PM

LOL Absolutely! It grosses me out every time I walk in there. Probably just going to rip it all out and replace it in the spring.

PWND3r
09-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Nice pick up, I need to get me one.

Dabears!
09-20-2012, 05:38 PM
LOL Absolutely! It grosses me out every time I walk in there. Probably just going to rip it all out and replace it in the spring.
it looks like good old wood id have someone sand fill and finish it.

my house has the original wood floors from 1927 and i will be getting them refinished.

nice ak too

MSGT
09-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Dang, I paid most of that for you, congrats

bjmusico
09-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Does Waffen make an AK-47? I couldn't find any.

Kralimus
09-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Does Waffen make an AK-47? I couldn't find any.

I'm not sure, I know they make a vz58 variant.

MR223forYOU
10-02-2012, 01:17 AM
First time i have heard of them, d*****atly worth a look.

g-unit
11-29-2012, 09:21 AM
what kind of shape is the furniture in (on the AK)? I'm looking to get a waffen myself, and I was thinking about the wood vs the poly, but some of the pictures the wood is SOOO mismatched it looked like hell. Yours looks pretty good in the picture though, how about in person.

Nice AK, and great timing on the post, thanks!

Kralimus
11-29-2012, 10:38 AM
what kind of shape is the furniture in (on the AK)? I'm looking to get a waffen myself, and I was thinking about the wood vs the poly, but some of the pictures the wood is SOOO mismatched it looked like hell. Yours looks pretty good in the picture though, how about in person.

Nice AK, and great timing on the post, thanks!

The wood is in ok shape on mine. There are some big divots on the underside of the front grip and some places where the finish has flaked off with minor use. Mine will need to be refinished. It really is about luck, some people have got really nice furniture others have got crap. Which really sucks because waffen clearly puts such care into building the rest of the firearm.

In hindsight I would have gone with the polymer and then just bought new wood if I really wanted it. Copes has new Bulgarian blonde Ak stock sets for $50 http://www.copesdistributing.net/holiday-sale-bulgarian-blonde-stock-p-5251.html

She shoots pretty well. Definitely get some surplus magazines, the Tapco one it comes with is mediocre.

CallmeDave
11-29-2012, 10:44 PM
nice

ruger69
12-12-2012, 08:54 AM
might have to look into getting me one of these..although 7.62x39 ammo is coming down in price now...the ak74 is still cheaper

good review

g-unit
12-13-2012, 11:00 AM
I ordered 2 of them, we'll see what we get. (I'll post follow up pics sometime next week)

g-unit
12-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Got 'em! Super happy with them, the fit and finish is outstanding (for an ak), action is nice and smooth, as far as I'm concerned an Arsenal would have to shoot awful damn good to be worth the added cost over these badboys. Very very happy.

His and Hers, look to add a side mount and put my trijicon TR24g on one of them, the other will get a MI extended handguard and some form of red dot, likely an RMR with dual illumination. need to find a good basic sling for each. Both will get Hogue rubber pistol grips as well.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FWFJks-K5Lw/UNE5zymD1HI/AAAAAAAACEA/nUx9cxZnK7I/s640/IMAGE_3F4A6976-EF19-46FE-BD41-2E7F82F7488C.JPG

CallmeDave
12-19-2012, 07:02 AM
They look great! What distributor did you go through?

g-unit
12-19-2012, 07:13 AM
ags armament via firearmxpress, great transaction all around.

Pop-Tart
12-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Has anyone else had FTF's with their Waffenwerks AK-74? Bought one a bit ago, ran 60 rounds of silver-bear out of this magazine in question No problems. I had 2 FTF's in 60 rounds of bulgarian 7n6 using the same used (little beat up not too bad) bulgarian circle 21 magazine. It was like a double feed, as the bolt fed one round into the chamber it got hung up on the one below it. I couldn't even push it home, had to drop the mag out. I don't mean to muck up this thread but I was hoping to get feedback from other waffenworks owners. Sad thing is too is something is canted, had to move the front sight way over to the left to get it zeroed at 25 yards. Not that big a deal I guess, I'm more worried about the FTF's!

CallmeDave
12-19-2012, 09:17 PM
I called Geno's guns and tools to ask if they could order one but the guy said there are no AK's..anywhere :(
I didn't get a chance to talk to Kriss at Geno's.

I've been looking for a nice mid priced AK47 this looks like it.

Kralimus
01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Has anyone else had FTF's with their Waffenwerks AK-74? Bought one a bit ago, ran 60 rounds of silver-bear out of this magazine in question No problems. I had 2 FTF's in 60 rounds of bulgarian 7n6 using the same used (little beat up not too bad) bulgarian circle 21 magazine. It was like a double feed, as the bolt fed one round into the chamber it got hung up on the one below it. I couldn't even push it home, had to drop the mag out. I don't mean to muck up this thread but I was hoping to get feedback from other waffenworks owners. Sad thing is too is something is canted, had to move the front sight way over to the left to get it zeroed at 25 yards. Not that big a deal I guess, I'm more worried about the FTF's!

Mine shot a bit to the left out of the box as well, but not quite to the amount you are talking about. The barrels are new and may need to have a couple of hundred rounds through to break in. I also had some issues with 7n6, had some odd stovepipes my first few mags, but silver bear runs like a champ through all my mags. I'm not a fan of the 7n6 personally, the silver bear's quality is good enough and non corrosive to justify the minor increase in price. (If you can find any these days...) Have you tried calling Waffen Works about it? I've heard their customer service is really good.

Best of luck!

Pop-Tart
02-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Mine shot a bit to the left out of the box as well, but not quite to the amount you are talking about. The barrels are new and may need to have a couple of hundred rounds through to break in. I also had some issues with 7n6, had some odd stovepipes my first few mags, but silver bear runs like a champ through all my mags. I'm not a fan of the 7n6 personally, the silver bear's quality is good enough and non corrosive to justify the minor increase in price. (If you can find any these days...) Have you tried calling Waffen Works about it? I've heard their customer service is really good.

Best of luck!

Late, but I got some brand new bulgarian circle 10 magazines I am going to try and see if it was a mag issue. If that doesn't solve it, I will definitely make use of the warranty. I appreciate your input.