PDA

View Full Version : Should I move an older small heavy safe

partdeux
09-29-2012, 09:46 PM
High quality, i didn't think to measure it, but it's about 18x18x24". Can't even begin to describe the weight, beyond extremely heavy. I with a stupid friend might be able to get it out of the basement on a furniture dolly, but then I somehow have to get it into a vehicle.

It begs to have a professional move it, but is it worth it?

diesel3500
09-30-2012, 07:42 AM
I have a liberty safe that they say is about 1100lbs. Not sure on the weight but it is heavy. Myself and 2 of my friends were able to move it with a dolly. Then we got it in a truck. It was alot of work but well worth it in the end.

RifleGuy
09-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Bah. A stoopid friend, or two, a dolly, an appliance strap, a good pizza and cold beverages.

And you will have something to laugh about later.

I got roped into moving a piano and a pool table the same way; still funny, even 20 years later.

tech2b9
09-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Just try it. It will be worth the memories if nothing else.

maustin195
09-30-2012, 08:19 AM
High quality, i didn't think to measure it, but it's about 18x18x24". Can't even begin to describe the weight, beyond extremely heavy. I with a stupid friend might be able to get it out of the basement on a furniture dolly, but then I somehow have to get it into a vehicle.

It begs to have a professional move it, but is it worth it?
Quite often the door lifts off the hinges to make the move easier. Worth looking into.

RifleGuy
09-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Quite often the door lifts off the hinges to make the move easier. Worth looking into.
Also, pad the back of the safe/truck tailgate with a moving blanket. Set the safe so it just touches the lip of the truck bed, then lift the bottom of the safe; leverage will do most of the work, you 'just' need to pivot the safe in.

And, I know a doctor who can repair your rupture.... :)

partdeux
09-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Also, pad the back of the safe/truck tailgate with a moving blanket. Set the safe so it just touches the lip of the truck bed, then lift the bottom of the safe; leverage will do most of the work, you 'just' need to pivot the safe in.

And, I know a doctor who can repair your rupture.... :)
What are you doing next weekend?

LOL

I was thinking about taking a come-a-long as kind of a safety back up pulling it out of the basement. I'll have to look at the door again. Can't do anything until after my sister gets her stuff out of it.

RifleGuy
09-30-2012, 06:39 PM
What are you doing next weekend?

LOL

I was thinking about taking a come-a-long as kind of a safety back up pulling it out of the basement. I'll have to look at the door again. Can't do anything until after my sister gets her stuff out of it.
If I wasn't gimping along on a cane I'd be willing to give a hand for the princely sum of a cold can of Diet Pepsi. :-)

These days, just dragging my carcass around is difficult.

The come-a-long might make for a good back-up getting it into the truck. Or even up the steps.

Good luck, Sir!

partdeux
09-30-2012, 07:09 PM
If I wasn't gimping along on a cane I'd be willing to give a hand for the princely sum of a cold can of Diet Pepsi. :-)

These days, just dragging my carcass around is difficult.

The come-a-long might make for a good back-up getting it into the truck. Or even up the steps.

Good luck, Sir!
considering I'm gimping along tonight... :( Apparently injured the knee yesterday, twisted it this morning, and then at the Monroe OC event made it worse :(

partdeux
10-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Sean, nicon_77 moved it for me yesterday, (734)624-4830

Even though it was a much bigger job then both of us thought, he offered to hold his original price, I gave him more then he quoted.

Well worth the money spent, thank you Sean.

Nicon_77
10-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Easier.
Sean, nicon_77 moved it for me yesterday, (734)624-4830

Even though it was a much bigger job then both of us thought, he offered to hold his original price, I gave him more then he quoted.

Well worth the money spent, thank you Sean.

Not a Problem. all We Have In this World Is Are Word.
What Are We If That Is Worth Nothing.

Helped Me To Decide More Things To Make Job Decisions Easier. If You Say You Can Do a Job You Do It.
Good Night mgo