PDA

View Full Version : Use of a .45 suppressor (Blackside-45) with 300 Blackout

rexzor2007
09-30-2012, 10:40 AM
I've been looking to get the most out of my current suppressor without spending the time and cash on another (although it would be nice to have a 7.62 suppressor). Anyway, I found a thread adapter from The Silencer Store,

http://www.thesilencerstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=45

that would allow me to use my Blackside-45 on my 300 Blackout AR. This idea surly intrigues me, but I'd hate to attempt it and end up having a very bad an expensive day. The listing does say that I will need a "fixed barrel spacer" as my suppressor has the booster. Any input I can get will be great. Thanks, guys!

rjrivero
09-30-2012, 11:01 AM
I believe you can use the pistol caliber cans for 300 Blackout subsonic only. If you are going to use supersonic ammo, you need to make sure your suppressor will handle it. (For instance the Liberty Mystic.)

You can use the adapter from Silencerstore (which is owned by John Titsworth). It will allow you to use your pistol can on your blackout. (For subsonic only).

You also want to get a fixed piston for your Blackslide. You can order them separately from Gemtech.

rexzor2007
09-30-2012, 12:02 PM
I believe you can use the pistol caliber cans for 300 Blackout subsonic only. If you are going to use supersonic ammo, you need to make sure your suppressor will handle it. (For instance the Liberty Mystic.)

You can use the adapter from Silencerstore (which is owned by John Titsworth). It will allow you to use your pistol can on your blackout. (For subsonic only).

You also want to get a fixed piston for your Blackslide. You can order them separately from Gemtech.

Has anyone ever told you that you are one of the most helpful members of MGO? Thanks for the info. I have been tearing the web up looking of a fixed piston for my blackside, but I have been unsuccessful. I did look on their website, but did not find one for my blackside-45. Would this be an item I would have to have special ordered?

rjrivero
09-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Has anyone ever told you that you are one of the most helpful members of MGO? Thanks for the info. I have been tearing the web up looking of a fixed piston for my blackside, but I have been unsuccessful. I did look on their website, but did not find one for my blackside-45. Would this be an item I would have to have special ordered?
I appreciate it. I would call gemtech and find out if they have a spring eliminator spacer for their linear decoupler device. It's just a sleeve that replaces the spring to keep everything locked up tight on fixed barrel applications.

Call a Gemtech dealer and they'll be able to direct you better.

Sticks
09-30-2012, 12:49 PM
I'd also check with your can manufacturer upfront regarding any warranty issues.

rjrivero
10-01-2012, 05:46 PM
I just got off the phone with gemtech on a different matter. They make fixed adaptors for the blackslide for whatever fixed thread pattern you may need. They cost $45 and can be ordered directly from Gemtech. Gemtech also makes their own thread adapters. I don't know if they have the one you need for your 300 BLACKOUT to your Gemtech BlackSlide, but they do make some adapters as well.

Regards.

RJ

rexzor2007
10-01-2012, 09:09 PM
I just got off the phone with gemtech on a different matter. They make fixed adaptors for the blackslide for whatever fixed thread pattern you may need. They cost $45 and can be ordered directly from Gemtech. Gemtech also makes their own thread adapters. I don't know if they have the one you need for your 300 BLACKOUT to your Gemtech BlackSlide, but they do make some adapters as well.

Regards.

RJ

Thanks for getting me that information! I'll make sure to call them. It would be nice to just get the fixed thread pattern for 5/8X24 and then all I have to do is switch back and fourth without using the adapter. I'll see what I can get from them and keep you informed on what happens. Either way, I have been wanting to shooting some suppressed 300 Blackout and I'm excited that I may be getting to do it, without dropping another grand for a suppressor.

rexzor2007
10-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I contacted Gemtech today and got the fixed barrel adapter ordered. Unfortunately, they did not have the thread pattern 5/8-24 for the Blackside so I will still have to get the adapter, but that wont be a problem. Either way, it aught to be interesting to hear how my .45 can works with 300 Blackout. I'll update you guys after a trip to the range.

yocan
10-04-2012, 11:11 PM
heaviest subsonic 300 blackout is 224 grains correct? and its subsonic.

a .45 suppressor can handle a hot loaded subsonic 230 grain round.

I would think the .45 reaching those speeds over 5" compared to the 300 over 9" would mean the .45 has more pressure behind it, so per volume your can should structurally have no problems. I haven't done all the pressure math, but with an even smaller projectile it shouldn't be an issue, I think it will be a smidgen louder but hardly a noticeable difference.

This is just general thoughts someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I think your good to go :thumbup:

rjrivero
10-05-2012, 08:12 AM
heaviest subsonic 300 blackout is 224 grains correct? and its subsonic.

a .45 suppressor can handle a hot loaded subsonic 230 grain round.

I would think the .45 reaching those speeds over 5" compared to the 300 over 9" would mean the .45 has more pressure behind it, so per volume your can should structurally have no problems. I haven't done all the pressure math, but with an even smaller projectile it shouldn't be an issue, I think it will be a smidgen louder but hardly a noticeable difference.

This is just general thoughts someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I think your good to go :thumbup:
I'm pushing 247gr Cast boolits 1050fps. Pressures are still pretty damn low. I push mine through 9mm Suppressors.

rexzor2007
10-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys! I have my thread adapter, waiting on the fixed barrel adapter, and now I need some Subsonic ammo. Just my luck, they are all backordered on the interweb. LOL. I am set up to reload 300 Blackout, as I'd hope most 300 Blk shooters are, and I am in need of load data for subsonic. If you guys are willing to share, I'd like some info on what kind of subsonic 300 Blackout loads you have made, or if there are any standard subsonic loads. Most of the factory stuff seems to be 220. Once again, thanks guys!

rjrivero
10-10-2012, 03:10 PM
You need to check HERE (http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=141&sid=45c042ecbaccbf4fc0e421da4510c67b) for all the 300 BLACKOUT stuff you could ever want and then some!

rexzor2007
10-12-2012, 07:32 PM
You need to check HERE (http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=141&sid=45c042ecbaccbf4fc0e421da4510c67b) for all the 300 BLACKOUT stuff you could ever want and then some!

I joined the site as well! LOL. I have all my adapters and have checked pretty well to make sure everything lines up, as to avoid a potential baffle strike. As of now I am waiting on some 220 Sierra MatchKing bullets so I can get some rounds made up and get to the range, which I will be sure to report on. I am curious, though, other than contacting Gemtech, is there any way I might be able to find out if my suppressor can handle supersonic rounds, other than by running supersonic rounds and seeing what happens? lol. (That could get costly and potentially dangerous) You had mentioned ones that were rated for it, like the Mystic, but I wondered if the metal it's constructed of might answer that question.

GarrettJ
10-14-2012, 11:52 AM
I am curious, though, other than contacting Gemtech, is there any way I might be able to find out if my suppressor can handle supersonic rounds, other than by running supersonic rounds and seeing what happens? lol. (That could get costly and potentially dangerous)...
Why don't you want to contact Gemtech? As you said, the only other sure way to find out is to test it. (destructive testing?)

The Blackside is a lightweight pistol can. It was originally designed without a booster. In order to get a boosterless can to run, it has to be pretty lightweight.

I can almost guarantee shooting supersonic ammo through it will cause issues. Maybe not after one or two rounds, but sooner or later, you will have problems.

rexzor2007
10-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Why don't you want to contact Gemtech? As you said, the only other sure way to find out is to test it. (destructive testing?)

The Blackside is a lightweight pistol can. It was originally designed without a booster. In order to get a boosterless can to run, it has to be pretty lightweight.

I can almost guarantee shooting supersonic ammo through it will cause issues. Maybe not after one or two rounds, but sooner or later, you will have problems.

I've heard that Gemtech has not done any testing with the Blackside with .300 Blackout, and they have specified to me that they would "recommend against" the stacking of adapters, which I'm doing. I needed a fixed barrel adapter and thread adapter to run it on my .300 Blk AR. So far my research from plenty of places has indicated that it "should" be fine with subsonic ammo, but just about every place has said they do not recommend supersonic. It wont be an issue either way, I was just wondering if it could be done, but so far it appears it should not be done, which is fine. I'll just save up and get a 762SDN or similar suppressor in the future when funds allow for it. For now, I will stick to just running subs through it.

Oreo57
10-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Interested to hear how this worked out for you. Can still in one piece? =) I'd also be interested in how effectively it dampens, comparatively. All the best,

Oreo

rexzor2007
10-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Interested to hear how this worked out for you. Can still in one piece? =) I'd also be interested in how effectively it dampens, comparatively. All the best,

Oreo

LOL. Honestly, I haven't gotten around to it, yet. I still need to pick up the A1680 powder to make the subsonic loads. Also, the joke you made about the can being in one piece has been a factor in me dragging my feet. I love using it with my Glock 21 and I'd hate to "experiment" with it and have something damage it beyond repair. I watched a video on youtube of silencerco testing their 9mm and .45 suppressors with subsonic 300 blk and they didn't have any issues so I'm not too worried. I'll probably try to swing by the gun shop this weekend and get some powder. I'm really interested in how it will perform.

Oreo57
10-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Also, the joke you made about the can being in one piece has been a factor in me dragging my feet.

I hear ya pal, loud and clear. While you should have all sorts of clearance, manufacturers make it sound like they put some mystical R&D or math in to managing the air flow/pressure for a particular caliber. Phrases like "designed to cause cross turbulence" make me nervous for your baffles ;-). In reality, it's probably much closer to guess and check machining...

Kidding aside, the bullet should be mostly ahead of the gas and with the kind of room you've got moving too fast to be catastrophically affected. Personally I'm especially interested in the tradeoff between clearance and effectiveness. Keep us posted! All the best,

Oreo

rexzor2007
11-05-2012, 07:54 PM
I got range report for you guys! Here is a pic of the set up. It has an 8.5" barrel, The Silencer Store thread adapter, Gemtech fixed barrel adapter, and a Gemtech Blackside-45.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/rexzor2007/DSCI0591.jpg
Anyway, here's the report:
The ammo was Remington 220gr subsonic in a 20 round p-mag. We fired one round into the ground, unsuppressed, to make sure that it was spitting them out of the barrel and loading the next round. When that happened flawlessly we then put on the suppressor, checked once more to make sure everything lined up, aimed at our target (a scrap-metal water tank), and pulled the trigger. This was then followed by a mild "pop" and the ringing of the metal water tank.
As you can tell, the supressor is in once piece and so am I. LOL. Normally I've compared suppressed 45 to that of a quite paintball gun, but for this I would say a loud paintball gun. It didn't hurt our ears to shoot without hearing protection and was much quieter than shooting without it, but I'm sure a 7.62 rifle suppressor would work much better. I would like to say that the suppressor was shot dry, I'm sure shooting it wet would have made a difference. However, if you're in a pinch, and don't want to spend the extra time and money on one, a 45 suppressor so far has worked well.
I should mention that after firing the last round the bolt did not lock back, but there were no squibs or FTFs so I can't really ask for much more. When I took the adapter off the suppressor and took a look inside I didn't see anything that looked to be excessive wear or anything out of the ordinary. I will probably keep using it every now and then and give an update if something unexpected happens, and hopefully down the round pick up a 7.62 suppressor. Until then, I can't complain with it's performance. Not as quite as a suppressed 45, but enough to have some fun at the range and not worry about hearing protection.