PDA

View Full Version : Need schooling on recurve

Kimberguy1371
10-02-2012, 01:01 AM
I know nothing about them. I have never owned a bow, I have put one arrow through a compound once many years ago.

For whatever reason, I have decided that i want a recurve bow, if I own it, I will use it for hunting, but it's primary purpose will be for target shooting, and fun.

I am strongly considering the Hoyt Buffalo bow. Why? no idea, I just like the way it looks, and form what little I know Hoyt is a good name.

How do I know what length to get? how do I know how many pounds to get?

I don't want to do what I did with guns, and get something cheep, and work my way up. but I don't want to spend more than $1000 to start with either.

I feel like I am rambling now, so please feel free to unleash any and all wisdom you may have.

ro2
10-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I get my tradational stuff from 3 rivers archery they are nice people and can prolly answer your questions.

sjcootie
10-02-2012, 07:22 PM
traditional bow shooting/hunting is a lot of fun! But, can get real expensive too. If you get hooked and start making your own wooden arrows, buying custom hand made bows you can invest as much as a compound bow.

How old are you? how strong? how tall? how long are your arms? we need this info for draw weight and length.

My baby is a custom made Marriah Thermal Take Down Recurve by Ric Anderson out of Montana. I don't think he is making them anymore.

I am 5'10" and average arm length. I had a 56lbs at 27" draw length made many years ago and it still works for me today.

fr3db3ar
10-02-2012, 07:55 PM
IMO the best advice anybody can give you is this.

Put your hands on as many bows as you can find to shoot and buy the one that feels the best. A good looking bow in your hands may not feel as good as it looks. Shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Then decide which one you want to buy.

I bought a $125 Hoyt takedown back in the day as a backup bow. I don't regret it in the least. It's now my bowfishing rig and I shoot a Black Widow long bow for hunting.

It's fun that never goes away.

For a recommendation I say Black Widow and Bob Lee are the best two bows that I've ever shot and neither has very much hand shock at all. This will be important when you want to put 50 arrows through it in a day. Your elbows and shoulder will thank you.

24ever
10-02-2012, 11:12 PM
IMO the best advice anybody can give you is this.

Put your hands on as many bows as you can find to shoot and buy the one that feels the best. A good looking bow in your hands may not feel as good as it looks. Shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Then decide which one you want to buy.

Great advice!

Kimberguy1371
10-05-2012, 02:18 AM
thanks for the input. went to the local archery shop and after shooting a few thigns decided on a 60" 50lb Hoyt Buffalo take down bow. It is on order, and i am extremely excited! :thumbup: