PDA

View Full Version : Arisaka Type 38

LivoniaDan
04-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Ok... so My dad brought this back after WWII.. As a kid I "refinished" the stock...... dummy me..... Anyway..... Is there someone on this board, somewhat local to me,that can verify this weapon is OK to shoot... I have to assume that it is..... but you know how that goes....It uses 6.5MM Jap ammo that I once saw at a hardware in Wayne Michigan... So I know ammo is still available....

It was a captured weapon so none of the marking were destroyed..... (that is why I'm mad about the "refinish").

karcent
04-16-2007, 08:40 PM
All you need to do is verify that the bolt is properly headspaced to the barreled action.
I'm pretty sure the Jap bolts are numbered to the receivers.
If the numbers match, you're good to go.
If not, have a gunsmith check it with headspace gauges.
Jap actions are incredibly strong.
Not much to worry about.

LivoniaDan
04-17-2007, 05:51 AM
Thanks... I'll check that out.

Quaamik
04-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Good luck with the ammo.

5 years ago, it was going for $40 for a box of 20.

I'd suggest getting dies and reloading if you plan on shooting more than 1 box of ammo through it.

LivoniaDan
04-17-2007, 06:51 PM
All you need to do is verify that the bolt is properly headspaced to the barreled action.
I'm pretty sure the Jap bolts are numbered to the receivers.
If the numbers match, you're good to go.
If not, have a gunsmith check it with headspace gauges.
Jap actions are incredibly strong.
Not much to worry about.This unit came back in one piece, but none of the numbers seem to coincide. The bolt has one number the receiver another, the trigger a third....Now I don't know what to do...

karcent
04-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Get it to a good gunsmith and have him check the headspace.
Ken should be able to help:
http://www.globalmilitarygunsmithing.com/

LivoniaDan
04-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Get it to a good gunsmith and have him check the headspace.
Ken should be able to help:
http://www.globalmilitarygunsmithing.com/THANX--- I'll give him a call... and keep you posted...

LivoniaDan
04-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Needs at least one round to do a proper check... Yep... $34.99 per box
Northside Hardware in Wayne has several boxes - and other assorted antique stuff-including 6.5mm Swede... Stopped at Firearm Exchange on the way... They didn't have any, but suggested the "Antique Firearms Show" at Rock Financial at the end of the month. I already bought a box from the Hardware ... but I may attend.

Quaamik
04-18-2007, 08:30 PM
FYI: I have one that is "sporterized" (shudder) but it still shoots like a dream. Little recoil and the rifle is far more accurate than the iron sights on it. From what i understand, the Arisaka Type 38s were uncommonly accurate.

Where is Northside Hardware? I wouldn't mind picking up an additional box of ammo.

Samurai Jack
04-18-2007, 09:00 PM
I've never heard of p.c.i ammo before but graf and sons has the 6.5x50 jap for 13.99

http://www.grafs.com/ammo/164

LivoniaDan
04-18-2007, 09:43 PM
FYI: I have one that is "sporterized" (shudder) but it still shoots like a dream. Little recoil and the rifle is far more accurate than the iron sights on it. From what i understand, the Arisaka Type 38s were uncommonly accurate.

Where is Northside Hardware? I wouldn't mind picking up an additional box of ammo.In Wayne Michigan.

On Wayne Road - North of Michigan Avenue on the West side of the street... Sporting Goods are all the way in the back... Kitty corner from the entrance.

Norma ammo 156 grains

LivoniaDan
04-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Hold off on Buying that ammo.... I might cut you a deal on the ammo I bought... Reason... According to Ken at Global Military Gunsmithing, my headspace is high. We never got an actual figure as he did a quick check first to see if it was worth the trouble of doing an actual check. Well... the headspace pretty high... I have a call out on another board to see what is allowable for this firearm..... If the T38 is not safe to fire.... I have 19 rounds of this ammo to sell...... He had to make one inert to do the check...

karcent
04-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Hmmm......headspace is generally checked with go and no go guages, not empty brass.

LivoniaDan
04-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Got sidetracked.... Tried some Packaging tape ... 5 layers started showing resistance...
at about .0025" per thickness... headspace is about .014"... give or take.....
Those on the gunboards.com board say that, although High, it is normal for a used military weapon.

Thanks..... I think I feel confident enough to at least fire the weapon....
I'm still not sure if it will be tied down and done by remote (string) http://www.gunboards.com/forums/images/icon_smile_blush.gif...
Guess I need a chicken emoticon......
I mean... Ya Know.... It hasn't been fired in 63 years (give or take)...
And yea... Its just wood and steel..... it doesn't know that......
DARN Where IS that Chicken emoticon.