PDA

View Full Version : solo cam bows?

yocan
10-03-2012, 01:29 PM
My friends looking for a bow. She is truly tiny, 23.5" draw thinking 40 or 45 lb bow. So a member on here has a solo cam bow from 2010 how much velocity are we talking about losing by it being solo cams?

pkuptruck
10-03-2012, 01:36 PM
why do you think solo cams automatically handicap a shooter?

most solo cams are FASTER and lighter than other comparable "non" solo cams..

as long as she is shooting in the 200's, she will do fine...

yocan
10-03-2012, 01:50 PM
why do you think solo cams automatically handicap a shooter?

most solo cams are FASTER and lighter than other comparable "non" solo cams..

as long as she is shooting in the 200's, she will do fine...
google and having no idea I've never used a solo cam. Better safe then sorry.

rjrivero
10-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Solo-Cam's are more forgiving. You can eek out a bit more speed from dual cam bows on the high end, but the Solo's are easier to shoot. The draw is smoother, you don't have to worry about the cams being in time.

Phoenix63
10-03-2012, 02:02 PM
LINK (http://www.stickemarchery.com/stickemcart/compound-bow-technology.aspx)

Single Cams also known as a Solocam, the single cam system features a round idler wheel on the top of the bow and an elliptical shaped power-cam on the bottom. The single cam is generally quieter and easier to maintain than traditional twin cam systems, since there is no need for cam synchronization. One draw back of single cam systems is they do not offer straight and level nock travel, which can make some single-cam bows harder to tune. Some are very fast and aggressive, others are quite smooth. Many are easy to adjust and have convenient let-off choices, and others don't. But most single cams do offer reasonable accuracy and a good solid stop at full draw. Overall, the smoothness and reliability of the single cam is well respected. And the single cam is today's popular choice on compound bows.

A Twin Cam system is sometimes called a "Dual Cam". The twin cam system features two perfectly symmetrical round wheels or elliptical cams on each end of the bow. When these cams are synchronized, twin cam systems offer excellent nock travel, accuracy, and overall speed. Twin cams do require more maintenance and service to stay in tune. While the maintenance issues are a draw back of the Twin Cam, the only disadvantage to twin cams is the tendency for increased noise (compared to typical single and hybrid cams). Even with that said the twin cam is still the cam system of choice for many serious shooters.

Hope this helps..

jdc48160
10-05-2012, 07:45 PM
If it's not some crap brand, and you have a good archery shop you can take it to and get it fitted to her, you'll be ok.

If you decide not to go with the bow the member here is selling, check out Mission Archery. They are made by Mathews. I bought a Mission Craze back in March. Great little bow. 29 inch axle to axle, so it's great for treestands and ground blinds because of how short it is it gives you the range of motion you need to get around branches and stuff from a treestand or in the sometimes cramped confines of a ground blind.

The Craze is highly adjustable too. Draw length is adjustable from 19 to 30 inches with draw weight adjustable from 15 to 70 pounds.

I have mine set at 28 inch draw length and 55lb draw weight.

They aren't expensive either. $299 for a bare bow. I bought a package that came with a QAD ProHunter drop-away rest, TruGlo 4 pin sight and 5 arrow quiver and a stabilizer for $399. I changed my stabilizer, added a Mathews Dead End string stop, got a dozen Easton Storm 400 carbon arrows, field points, release, field points, 6 G5 Outdoors T3 broadheads, and a case for $725 at my local shop.

It's a dual cam bow, which is what provides the crazy range of adjustability on the bow.

I'm sure I'll get something different in the future, but this bow is great.

Gonna be heading out this coming week deer hunting with it, so we'll see how it does!

wardog6t
10-09-2012, 06:24 PM
I've been shooting Mathews since there birth with my first being the Zmax. Most bows these days are pretty much on a even keel. Most shooting right around 300 fps with IBO standards at any where from 50-60lbs. There is a new Darton out that at 57lbs is shooting 320 fps. I would state anything you can find that chronographs over 250 fps will be good to go. The rest of the equation is apples and oranges. Pretty much boils down to a $700 3.5lb bow or a $300 6lb bow. Harmonic Dampeners?, Milled aluminum or Cast? I would only recommend a Solocam and when it comes to Solocams there is only one truly worthy. Mathews! Catch em if you can.

ro2
10-13-2012, 03:10 PM
I have shot mathews for my last 5 bows, Afew years back I bought a mission craze for my son who was 9 at the time. fully adjustable from 19 - 30 inch draw and accompaning draw weights. I am absolutely blown away by this little bow it was a great price, individual or in the kit form. and he can shoot it for many years to come if he chooses