PDA

View Full Version : Very first deer

deanooo311
10-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Got my very first deer which is a doe. This is after about 15 years of off and on hunting. Took her with a crossbow at about 20 yards. Right through both lungs. Pretty stoked right now, but lost my bolt, think it went clean through her.

Made_in_Michigan
10-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Congratulations!

Tip for first cut when you process it:

Tenderloin sliced thin, sauteed in butter with shaved garlic, 20 seconds or so on a side. As a treat/reward for yourself the day you process it.
Mmmmmm Mmmmmmm Good.

deanooo311
10-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks! I don't know how to process it myself, probably going to a shop. I wanted to have my uncle come show me the ropes but his son in law passed a few days ago. But nevertheless I just had a victory beer, a home brew at that!

nate132004
10-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Congrats! What a rush, eh? Take them mudvanes out before processing and cook the up for dinner like Made In Mi said. The mudvanes are inside the chest cavity along the spine probably 9-14 inches long. Just work em out with fingers or knife. Will be the most tender slice of meat you'll ever have.

Made_in_Michigan
10-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks! I don't know how to process it myself, probably going to a shop. I wanted to have my uncle come show me the ropes but his son in law passed a few days ago. But nevertheless I just had a victory beer, a home brew at that!

You should hang it a few days before processing anyway. Processing yourself will yield more pounds of meat as well as better cleaned/cut. (removed fat/silver skin which will taint with that gamey taste that folks complain about)

deanooo311
10-08-2012, 09:39 PM
She is hanging right now, a little worried about the weather getting to warm. I think I'm going to try skinning her tomorrow, did some reading on it, I think I can manage it.

nate132004
10-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Got any questions post them up we'll try to help

deanooo311
10-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks nate will do!

sse
10-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Good for you....!

deanooo311
10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Got her skinned and started to carve her up. got a little warm a few flys and bees started landing on her, I panicked a little bit, the only good cut I got on her are the backstraps, I have both thighs and front shoulders whole in the fridge. I then went around her salvaging all I could. I think she is going to be a stew and chili deer. Next time will have someone experienced here to help or send it to a shop. a little more hair on the meat then I would like, what do you guys say about rinsing the meat off and dying it very very well?

D Hags
10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Nothing like doing it yourself the first time!! Congrats. I remember my first, heart just about jumping out of my chest!! Sounds like you did well!

nate132004
10-09-2012, 04:31 PM
To soon . Should of let it hang for about a week. Got a torch? Like plumber torch? Use that to get hair off, little trick ;) did u vacume seal the meat or freezer paper? Make sure u label packages good. Cut, quantity and date/ year.

Made_in_Michigan
10-09-2012, 04:52 PM
As for washing, mine gets washed three times. Heavy rinsing once it is in pieces. 2nd wash as the bits get processed and go into the vacuum sealer. Third wash comes when the package gets opened and is ready to be cooked. (I hate hair etc, so I'm a bit picky.)

The only drying I've ever done is during the hanging.

wardog6t
10-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Congratulations!

Tenderloin sliced thin, sauteed in butter with shaved garlic, 20 seconds or so on a side. As a treat/reward for yourself the day you process it.
Mmmmmm Mmmmmmm Good.

+1,000 Great Job! Congrats...

deanooo311
10-09-2012, 07:20 PM
To soon . Should of let it hang for about a week. Got a torch? Like plumber torch? Use that to get hair off, little trick ;) did u vacume seal the meat or freezer paper? Make sure u label packages good. Cut, quantity and date/ year.

I wanted to, but I was worried about it getting to warm. I have it sitting in the fridge to age tho. Was some good eating tonight tho. especially with home grown zucchini.

EricF517
10-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Congratulations!

Mmmmmm Mmmmmmm Good.

Wow you wait that long to eat them? I eat those as soon as it is hanging. I butterfly all my steaks, so if the piece isn't large enough to butterfly it goes on the drill. Seems like I eat a lot when I clean them.\

Congrats OP, you will enjoy eating her!!!