PDA

View Full Version : Just Right Carbines

Thrindle
10-15-2012, 12:10 PM
I bought .40 cal AR-style carbine from JR Carbines this summer. I chose it because it uses Glock magazines, and I already had a Glock model 22 with a handful of spare mags. I also chose it because it could switched to left-handed ejection very easily, similar to the Beretta Cx4 Storm.

When I bought the gun I had to have a gunsmith switch it to left-handed ejection, including having him "break" the edge of the extractor so it extracts properly, per the instructions. My gunsmith did that, and even called the manufacturer, who sent me a left handed extractor in case the gunsmithed one didn't work.

I shot the gun, and after about 20 rounds, it kept failing to eject. The spent brass would flip around backwards and block the new round from going into the breech. I also found out that he bolt catch on the left side was too narrow for the bolt handle to fit into, so I couldn't lock the bolt open.

I sent the gun back to the manufacturer, and they replaced my receiver. I also had the left-handed extractor installed. When I got the gun back, it still failed to eject, in the same way, so I sent it back to get fixed.

I got the gun back with a new extractor and "high speed" bolt. There was no note, but when I called the manufacturer they said they test fired it for 30 rounds without a malfunction. I took it to the range, and after 70 rounds, it malfunctioned. Same failure to eject. But it was worse that time, I couldn't shoot more than 1 or two rounds before I had a failure.

Well, it's no fun having a gun that you can't even shoot for a half hour on the range, and I could never rely on it in a gunfight, so I sent it back to the manufacturer and received a full refund.

Bottom line, the gun wasn't any good. But JR Carbines gets an A for customer service. Based on my experience, I can't recommend their gun. But they were professional and courteous so no hard feelings. I hope they continue their R&D engineering and improve their product.

pkuptruck
10-15-2012, 12:44 PM
my experience is with the 9mm.

and it is completely different than yours, in that mine works just fine! :shrugs:

the 40 and 45 caliber versions were based off the 9mm, so maybe its a factor of "making it bigger" ? I dont know...

but my 9mm has had just over 1000 rounds thri it. only hiccup, was a crappy
korean mag.. ( and even that was an easy fix... )

Thrindle
10-16-2012, 11:15 AM
It's possible. I didn't shoot the 9mm. Is yours right or left handed? I'm not an engineer, but my guess is that it's not as easily converted to left-handed mode as their engineers thought. Glad your gun works well for you.

pkuptruck
10-16-2012, 11:21 AM
It's possible. I didn't shoot the 9mm. Is yours right or left handed? I'm not an engineer, but my guess is that it's not as easily converted to left-handed mode as their engineers thought. Glad your gun works well for you.

mine is a lefty. just so I can fling hot brass onto others at the range.. LOL.

never tried it righty though...

jetttstream
11-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Glad to hear they took care of you.

That stinks you had to part with it. I love the thought that it takes glock mags of course, but if you can't depend on it--it's of no use.

Thanks for sharing.

ChaneyD
11-21-2012, 01:16 PM
My .45 model functions flawlessly in slow or fast fire. Maybe 1500+ rnds so far. Changed to the right side with no problems. Why did you have a gunsmith do it? Remove the stock, allen screw the charging handle and out it comes. This rifle is a tack driver, for sure. 50yds and one big hole with a red dot on it.

Thrindle
11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
In order to make it left handed, you need to take the extractor out and reshape it with a grinder so it works properly. I don't have the tools to pop the pins out, and anyway it didn't work anyway. Then the manufacturer sent a new extractor and it didn't work either. The third extractor was installed by the manufacturer, and I got 80 rounds through the gun before it started jamming every 2-3 rounds. So I returned the thing and bought a shotgun with a standoff barrell.

Glad yours is working fine, though.

pkuptruck
11-30-2012, 12:30 PM
In order to make it left handed, you need to take the extractor out and reshape it with a grinder so it works properly. I don't have the tools to pop the pins out, and anyway it didn't work anyway. Then the manufacturer sent a new extractor and it didn't work either. The third extractor was installed by the manufacturer, and I got 80 rounds through the gun before it started jamming every 2-3 rounds. So I returned the thing and bought a shotgun with a standoff barrell.

Glad yours is working fine, though.

on mine there was no grinding needed, no pins to punch, or wierd gyrations to go thru to make it a southpaw version.. it was pretty simple actually.

I also installed an ambi safety and a new pistol grip.. no issues... :thumbup: