PDA

View Full Version : BOWHUNTING REPORT

GregK
10-17-2012, 09:17 PM
What's everyone seeing? I'm in Van Buren & Cass counties. Very little to no sign, & I've only seen one doe so far. Almost no rubs, there are no scrapes, & no tracks in the dirt where there has always been tracks. Frustrating!

mikeb32
10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Seen a lot of Doe in Hillsdale and Mount Morris.

Made_in_Michigan
10-17-2012, 09:35 PM
2nd Hand report (via camera). Genesee County.

Lots of activity of young deer/does hitting feed.

This is in a very low hunter area. I imagine the dominant bucks are still parked in the middle of nearby cornfields eating themselves silly till the rut starts.

PaulB84
10-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Lots of pressure on public land in livingston and washtenaw during the first couple weeks of the season. calmed down, but with the warm weather and rain I haven't seen much. couple doe. Might head to hillsdale this weekend

jdc48160
10-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Not a thing in western Washtenaw county where I'm at.

Lots of wind, and warm temps have kept them bedded down.

I still see tracks around the area of where I'm at, but it's just my luck that pretty much THE day I set up my blind and threw out some bait, that's when the wind started picking up, and it seemingly hasn't died down since.

Also waiting for the corn field by my setup to be harvested. That should help things get moving, as well as rut time coming up here soon.

One of my good friends I'm constantly talking to about how the hunt is going hasn't seen crap. He's out near the Utica area. He's hunting over a bean field, and has only seen one tiny spike and let him walk.

chevyman
10-18-2012, 02:33 PM
There was an 18 pt. shot in Lapeer County by a 15 year old in the youth hunt, Also a 15 point and a Big 9 point shot in Bow season so far,Plus the Big 8 point that my friend shot last night, I have been telling you guys there are alot of deer in Lapeer County even on the State Land !

cpl0621
10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Ive only be out once so far, i hunt in lake county and i saw more deer in one day than i saw all last season, no shots, but it is looking good up there.

GregK
10-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Good to hear that there are some deer in the area!

aquatic-archer
10-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Spoty in Jackson county one farm lots of deer other very few, but has lots of standing corn. Put down a cull buck that was same points and spread as last year, 5 point scoreing 115. Tall and narrow. Seen a couple of real wall hangers.

GregK
10-19-2012, 05:55 PM
One of the big boys where I hunt was just found dead next to the pond :(

FIJI
10-19-2012, 06:04 PM
doe down last TH

another deer missed

6-8 more every evening (will be back out there again soon)

of course, this is in Gladwin

FIJI
10-19-2012, 06:05 PM
delete

Phelptwan
10-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Lots of dead deer near Gravel Lake in Lawton. We're up to 15 on our 80 acres.

wadevb1
10-19-2012, 08:46 PM
The big boys are not love sick yet. Wont be long until they get stupid. I turned down two that were out to the ears, but still have time to be picky.

My three weeks of vacation is fast approaching.

GregK
10-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Lots of dead deer near Gravel Lake in Lawton. We're up to 15 on our 80 acres.

Heard they found several dead around Finch Lake too

Jackam
10-19-2012, 09:52 PM
saw 5 bucks in three hunts, 8 pt was the largest but unfortunately he didn't present a good shot (yet!)

EricF517
10-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Not a damn thing with horns yet, well other than "Tinny Tim," that little guy has about 1 1/2" round nubs about 3/4" tall. I have been seeing every time out at least 3 doe and as many as 11. Just put out more bait and will be back out Sunday night and hopefully start getting out in the mornings next week. I am sure the bait will be gone by Monday. There was a fresh bag of beets, a bag of carrots, and half a 50lb bag of corn. The hay bale with deed cocaine on it is about 1/3 eaten and that has been out for about a week.

skipper34
10-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Not a damn thing with horns yet, well other than "Tinny Tim," that little guy has about 1 1/2" round nubs about 3/4" tall. I have been seeing every time out at least 3 doe and as many as 11. Just put out more bait and will be back out Sunday night and hopefully start getting out in the mornings next week. I am sure the bait will be gone by Monday. There was a fresh bag of beets, a bag of carrots, and half a 50lb bag of corn. The hay bale with deed cocaine on it is about 1/3 eaten and that has been out for about a week.

So what ever happened to the 5 gallon rule?

Roddypipper
10-28-2012, 07:09 AM
I have had many does within 12 yards, and a few bucks which i spooked
the biggest was a very large 6 point, I did see a few larger bucks but they were over my 20 yard rule and I refuse to shoot over 15 yards

For bait I am using apples which I cut up and also apple cider I use 2 gallons of apples and half gallong of apple cider.

I think its a 2 gallon rule, Id love to take 5 gallons of apples !

mikethepike
10-28-2012, 07:32 PM
I have had many does within 12 yards, and a few bucks which i spooked
the biggest was a very large 6 point, I did see a few larger bucks but they were over my 20 yard rule and I refuse to shoot over 15 yards

For bait I am using apples which I cut up and also apple cider I use 2 gallons of apples and half gallong of apple cider.

I think its a 2 gallon rule, Id love to take 5 gallons of apples !

You are correct. --No comment

hondaonchrome
10-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Been seeing alot in isabella county,mostly does,1 nice 8pt,1 really tall spike atleast 10-15" tines.....just none of them have came close enough yet to get a shot....annoying lol

jdc48160
10-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Frustration abounds in western Washtenaw County for me.

Corn field isn't harvested yet by my set.

Almost all the other fields in the area that I drive past on my way to and from my spot are cut and deer are EVERYWHERE in those fields.

Couple good bucks out there that I saw tonight when I stopped and observed the cut fields on my way out tonight.

Just frustrating.

Did have a perfect 10 yard shot at some turkeys today, but I don't have a turkey tag. Might pick one up since there's still about 2 weeks left in the fall turkey season.

GregK
10-31-2012, 09:29 PM
I've still only seen one doe & that's it! Well......I did see a mangy Yote last week. Been on 2 farms, no rubs or scrapes....no tracks!!

Jackam
11-01-2012, 07:40 PM
This has been a really odd year. We've seen more bucks than we have does! So far, I've seen 5 bucks and 5 does, my son has seen 9 bucks and 7 does.

EricF517
11-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Well I am seriously pissed off today. I went out around 4 and saw 3 go by at about 250y. After them I started really paying attention to the group that has been coming in about 45 minutes before dark. Well then I heard a light grunt coming from my right. I look over and there is a year old 4 point standing there. So I was having fun watching him look around trying to find the doe (I had some piss hanging). Then I see a LARGE rack walking around in the tall grass about 95y away. I grabbed the grunt call without the 4 seeing me, I hit it a few times and the big boy starts heading towards me. I couldn't get him to come closer than 50y from me. I must have grunted at him about 15 times. Then the 4 point sees the group of doe in the field next door and goes after them, and guess who follows him! They went and chased the doe all around the field next door and pushed the doe to the N of me. I kept grunting and even did some rattling and every time I did I would get his attention and he would look, but there was no getting him to leave the doe. I am just heart broken. That is the largest buck I have seen standing ANYWHERE in all my years of hunting. I am glad that working on the neighbors to start letting the little ones go is paying off.

mikethepike
11-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Went to my spot in Jackson the other day. All my bait was gone, tracks everywhere and my peanut butter was licked clean. Looks like it'lll be another good year. Check out this West Verginny Engineering i found on Youtube:

/eYs7534TGFs

GregK
11-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Very interesting Mike. I may have to experiment a little. Thanks for the info & the link :)

PaulB84
11-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Well I am seriously pissed off today. I went out around 4 and saw 3 go by at about 250y. After them I started really paying attention to the group that has been coming in about 45 minutes before dark. Well then I heard a light grunt coming from my right. I look over and there is a year old 4 point standing there. So I was having fun watching him look around trying to find the doe (I had some piss hanging). Then I see a LARGE rack walking around in the tall grass about 95y away. I grabbed the grunt call without the 4 seeing me, I hit it a few times and the big boy starts heading towards me. I couldn't get him to come closer than 50y from me. I must have grunted at him about 15 times. Then the 4 point sees the group of doe in the field next door and goes after them, and guess who follows him! They went and chased the doe all around the field next door and pushed the doe to the N of me. I kept grunting and even did some rattling and every time I did I would get his attention and he would look, but there was no getting him to leave the doe. I am just heart broken. That is the largest buck I have seen standing ANYWHERE in all my years of hunting. I am glad that working on the neighbors to start letting the little ones go is paying off.

Don't get discouraged, thats an awesome sign and more than likely he will be back....In any case be very happy that your deer management has paid off.

Ruger
11-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Went to my spot in Jackson the other day. All my bait was gone, tracks everywhere and my peanut butter was licked clean. Looks like it'lll be another good year. Check out this West Verginny Engineering i found on Youtube:

/eYs7534TGFs

The power of the peanut! :hoppinhappy:

FIJI
11-03-2012, 02:24 PM
after seeing dozen or more deer every morning/evening I was 'nada the last two day. Not a hair.

didnt even see one on the way up north...or the way back

the only excitement was a skunk who got to my blind before I did

mikethepike
11-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I found the idea last year on youtube. Peanuts and peanut butter are pretty cheap right now. I found the regular size pb on sale at Kroger for 10 for 10. They last quite a while and alot of different creatures will hit it. I never knew a tongue on a deer was like 10" !!! Rivals Gene Simmons

PaulB84
11-03-2012, 06:17 PM
alzheimer's predictions are spookily accurate imho...

EricF517
11-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Don't get discouraged, thats an awesome sign and more than likely he will be back....In any case be very happy that your deer management has paid off.

I pissed in his scrape that is 20-30y from the bow blind. He didn't like that much, this evening when I went out there it was twice the size!

Jackam
11-04-2012, 08:55 AM
It's 30 degrees this morning and here I sit. Been here almost two hours and the breeze is starting to pick up, just enough for me to turn my collar skyward to stop the cool draft. No deer or even noises of deer walking through. Last evening, I saw 11 deer (passed on a spike at 14 yards broadside.) Out of the 11, three were bucks. One was doing all he could to keep up with a doe. I can only imagine that they partied last night!

The bluejays, crows, and chickadees have all kept me company. Not even a single squirrel has ventured out of their nest yet! Perhaps the squirrels had the right idea!

I've got another hour in me before I've frozen myself solid. This isn't all that pleasant but I know that tomorrow morning, as I take my first coffee break of the day, I will wish I was in this stand freezing, and not back in civilization trying to make a living.

PaulB84
11-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I pissed in his scrape that is 20-30y from the bow blind. He didn't like that much, this evening when I went out there it was twice the size!

lol thats great....:lollol:

GregK
11-04-2012, 06:05 PM
It was colder (feeling) this morning than it was yesterday even though the temp was lower yesterday. I was in my ground blind & yesterdays sun made it toasty in there. Todays clouds & higher humidity felt much cooler. Still have only seen one deer...on Oct 1st!

I've moved to the other farm that I hunt as of yesterday. Lots of tracks in the bean field that my blind overlooks so after this mornings hunt I decided to walk back to one of my tree stands & to my excitement I found 5 brand new scrapes! I gotta tell ya, after not seeing any sign where I've been hunting, these fresh scrapes have me excited again! There is at least one buck still alive!!!!

jdc48160
11-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Corn is still up as of 5pm today by my spot. Getting really frustrated that they haven't harvested yet.

Deer are everywhere in the area around there.

Does all over the place. Haven't seen any bucks chasing them yet.

Did see 2 bucks today. A little forkhorn, and a big body 6 pointer. Neither looked to be in full rut form. They were just chillin in the fields eating.

Hope I see something this week when I'm out on my days off.

mark51185
11-04-2012, 09:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hfv4C.jpg
Got this guy at 330pm today and got a nice 7pt last Friday been a few years since I have seen bucks like I have this year I had so many nice bucks on my trail cams this year

Jackam
11-04-2012, 09:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hfv4C.jpg
Got this guy at 330pm today
NICE!!!

mark51185
11-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks

GregK
11-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks for sharing your pic & story. Really NICE buck! Congrats!!

mark51185
11-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks for sharing your pic & story. Really NICE buck! Congrats!!

Thanks!! greg

Kelly
11-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Starting to turn on in southern sections.
I hunt Lenawee and Washtenaw.

Younger bucks are full on chasing does that are getting close.

Haven't seen older buck chase yet and no visual on the dirty deed but any day.

Sneaked an arrow into this one while he watched the little ones chase tail from the cover of the pines last week :batman:
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/440.jpg (http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/119213)

hondaonchrome
11-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Nice deer kelly & mark!!

St. Johns there is some nice deer around there,I drive through there on my way to clare,always some good deer in the feilds.

jdc48160
11-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Didn't see a thing today in my spot. Corn is STILL up.

I had apples out there that I put out last week, and they were long gone. Area was trampled down real good, too.

Wish I had more time to get out there so I could have put more apples out to hold whatever deer came in. So frustrating.

EricF517
11-07-2012, 07:23 PM
10 doe tonight

GregK
11-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Starting to turn on in southern sections.
I hunt Lenawee and Washtenaw.

Younger bucks are full on chasing does that are getting close.

Haven't seen older buck chase yet and no visual on the dirty deed but any day.

Sneaked an arrow into this one while he watched the little ones chase tail from the cover of the pines last week :batman:
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/440.jpg (http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/119213)

Nicely done & beautiful buck! Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing :)

Jackam
11-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Here I sit, in my tree stand, with only about an hours worth of light left in my 2012 archery season. I have passed on smaller bucks and large does this season, hoping to connect with a nice rack. Doesn't look like it will happen.

A week from today, the woods will be dead. I will be here with rifle in hand but the activity from all the firearms hunters will have almost eliminated daylight movement of deer.

I miss October.

EricF517
11-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Meet the vaccum family, they are out about every night

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/EricF517/2012-11-06_09-14-33_218.jpg

This little guy was in last Thursday.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/EricF517/2012-11-08_17-25-11_565.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/EricF517/2012-11-08_17-26-34_242.jpg

And this guy today with 7 doe
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/EricF517/2012-11-13_17-18-32_503.jpg

GregK
11-13-2012, 09:36 PM
That's a nice buck sneaking in there! Wish we had some of those around here.

EricF517
11-13-2012, 09:48 PM
They both were youngins. The 4 I could see his ribs, shoulder bones, and hips. The other guy isn't big enough yet. I have two that are on the hit list. Not sure if I will ever see them again, but one is a 10-14 (it was dark enough I couldn't make all them out, besides the shaking), and the other has the most messed up rack I have ever seen on a deer.