PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 sabots for hunting

RockinRiley
10-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Just received a Mossberg 500 dual barrel for my birthday :) (best birthday gift ever!!!) After shooting some of the clays out of the sky, I am wondering about hunting. I have been doing a little research on the web and see that hornady sst's are rated very high and seem to be very accurate. But then I see some other brands that are not accurate at all. Any recommendations? Probably not hunting with it this year, so I have some time. I do not have a scope for it yet anyway, but my curiosity was just running after having such a great time today I really want a deer next year :)

Hockey9019
10-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Hornady SST's are pretty good for my Mossberg. Your best bet is to spend some money and try a couple boxes of each to see how they shoot.

Browning Guy
10-21-2012, 01:57 PM
It'a hard to tell you what will work best in YOUR gun! My mossy was a whole different story from what worked in my buddies. Buy 3-4 different brands and types, go to the range and carefully try each one for grouping. Keep track of the best one. Next week buy 3-4 others and compare to your "best" from last week. This will let your gun show what it prefers. Mind had its 2 best groupings with 2 3/4 length shells.(saves on the wallet and the shoulder) :spiral: I recommend spreading out your tests over some time. I did it all in one session 40 slugs and 10 rounds of 00 buck. That was one loooong afternoon and a sore shoulder the next day. Good luck and have some fun with your "research'

RockinRiley
10-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys.