PDA

View Full Version : long gun shipping

coolblue
10-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Can a long gun be shipped person to person in state????

Roundballer
10-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Yes

blatant blue
10-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Can you use USPS for something like that though?

Roundballer
10-22-2012, 10:29 PM
For the average Joe, for long guns only, Yes.

Mike in Michigan
10-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Shipping long guns can be done by non-FFL using USPS. However, if something goes wrong, you will have a nearly impossible task recovering, even if you purchase insurance....I speak from experience. I ship and receive firearms almost daily via UPS, FedEx, and USPS. I have seen every level of packaging from Pelican cases inside triple wall cartons to loose rifles wrapped in brown paper and a ton of tape. I have found UPS to be the best value for my money. FedEx is comparable but I use UPS. When shipping a firearm that can be easily replaced because it is still in production or otherwise readily avaliable I insure for replacement value. If the firearm cannot be easily replaced for whatever reason, I insure it for just over $1,000 even if its book value is far under that. The reason for this is that, according to my UPS driver, the manager at the UPS store, and a friend who works at an UPS depot, anything insured for over $1K gets special attention and handling and is less likely to end up on the bottom of the pile. I also separate stocks from barreled actions to reduce possibility of stock damage.

drp9
11-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Shipping long guns can be done by non-FFL using USPS. However, if something goes wrong, you will have a nearly impossible task recovering, even if you purchase insurance....I speak from experience. I ship and receive firearms almost daily via UPS, FedEx, and USPS. I have seen every level of packaging from Pelican cases inside triple wall cartons to loose rifles wrapped in brown paper and a ton of tape. I have found UPS to be the best value for my money. FedEx is comparable but I use UPS. When shipping a firearm that can be easily replaced because it is still in production or otherwise readily avaliable I insure for replacement value. If the firearm cannot be easily replaced for whatever reason, I insure it for just over $1,000 even if its book value is far under that. The reason for this is that, according to my UPS driver, the manager at the UPS store, and a friend who works at an UPS depot, anything insured for over $1K gets special attention and handling and is less likely to end up on the bottom of the pile. I also separate stocks from barreled actions to reduce possibility of stock damage.
a friend of my shipped his mini 14 to ruger for some repairs, needless to say, the postal provider did a bad job of handling it, he did not get insurance, by the time the mini 14 got to ruger it was destroyed, however ruger was nice enough to send him a brand new mini 14 at no charge..it's a good idea to be cautious when going through this, lucky ruger bailed him out

SteveS
11-05-2012, 09:30 AM

I don't know about special treatment, but I have filed two claims with UPS for damaged goods and both were denied because the packaging was not sufficient. I will have to dig around for the letters, but the requirements they had were somewhat excessive and arbitrary. That, combined with the fact that they will occasionally leave expensive stuff on the porch that is "signature required" has bothered me enough that I will not use them unless I have absolutely no choice.

I also get stuck with employees that do not know the rules/laws and give me problem when trying to ship guns. USPS is only a 1/4 mile from me and has never given me a problem.