PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Hunters Deer Campers

Gambler1304
10-29-2012, 09:24 PM
So I am not exactly sure where to post this but I am putting it here. So I have been hunting with my dad for the past 10 years or so. Since then our hunting Party has basically went away or passed away. Nothing to do with my dad or I some stopped hunting because of age,family or other reasons. Deer Camp is just the 2 of us now. Don't get me wrong I love the trip and spending quality time with my old man. We typically crossbow hunt and then Rifle hunt. Late season black powder and crossbow but that's in Southwest Michigan. We hunt up in St. Helen's MI on state land. It's a great area if you have never been there. I think it would be great to meet up with other hunters and have the old deer camp days we used to with 8-12 guys stories, beer, and a few more bucks hanging. We typically use an RV. They have a year round RV park there. If you are a father/son, father/daughter, brothers sisters or just a couple guys/gals interested in hunting with some more good Michigan folks let me know and I can get you some more details. I am sure there are other people out there that have run into this also or maybe your just bored of hunting by yourself.

Jackam
10-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Good post. I know the position you are in. This time next year, I will probably be alone in the woods as all my kids will have gone off to school. Just won't be the same.

I've been preparing myself for this for the last three years, inviting father/son/daughter combos to hunt with me on my private property, hoping to find someone that would be welcomed back year after year. So far... a lot of people have jumped at the chance to be accepted, yet not one of them have ever shown up.

Good luck!

Gambler1304
11-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Well I understand. It can be hard to set up dates to get out of work the same weeks. My Father just retired this past year and my boss understands family values. So I never have a problem getting time off work for this trip. Some years the trip is longer than others it kind of depends on the Holiday "Thanksgiving" and when it falls during rifle season.
Are you a rifle hunter? Shotgun? Bow? What seasons do you hunt typically? I understand hunting on private land is nice we also have 30 acres in southwest Michigan we hunt in late season. However the area we hunt on state land is also not crowded and has some nice bucks that's why we have continued to go back.
I am sure you have heard people say "yea we will come up and never show up" I would however be interested in hunting other properties if the offer is there. I would invite you to come join us also if you wished to do so. If the kids are home from school bring them too. What area do you have private land that you hunt? Do you have stands or blinds already set up? It's probably to late this season unless we did a late season get together but we could start planning for next season. We can talk more about it through the message system on MGO.

wardog6t
11-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I am kind of in the same boat. However since our hunting party has disbursed over the years for what ever the reasons. We still maintain 3 guys in our 30 year history our biggest group was 20 back in the day. My family has owned property in the core of the TB zone since 1964. I have been going there since 1973 as an infant until now. As we lost hunter after hunter year after year mostly do to NO baiting. My father , uncle and myself have stuck it out. Its almost a godsend to be honest. Lots of people stopped hunting in our area when TB hit and the baiting ban began. The deer ratio per mile has gone down considerably. 10 years ago I could see 15-20 per day on state land. These days 2-5 per day. Yet year after year we have maintained a very satisfactory kill rate with usually a minimum of 3 deer per year up to 8 between the 3 of us. Nice sized bucks averaging 8 points or better and several does each and every year.

So when I tell people where I hunt, They see the mounts on the wall or photos there astonished. Its peeks there interest. Since 2005 I have introduced 5 new hunters to hunting all of whom were adults. 4/5 have killed there first deer with our party out of our stands. None have come back after the first year. In each and every occasion once introduced to hunting they have moved on to hunting there own area's with there own families introducing there own family members or friends to hunting. I get calls from every one of them every year asking me for advice... If I am seeing deer? and if I have changed anything. Of course the answer is always No. Hunt the does, play the wind, walk farther back then the next guy.

This year we are taking a friends 17 old son for his first hunt. His father does not hunt but his son wants to. This will be my first time taking a teen but he is a very respectful youth and seems responsible enough. I hope to continue this tradition for some time and introduce more hunters to the lifestyle we hunters only know. The comradery we development during the hunts of kills, misses, spooks and of course the one ghost that got away is something you can't explain other then participating. I would suggest that next year you guys try the same. Introduce a non hunter to our world.

jbruette79
11-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Hey if some one has a place and dont mind a tag along im game

rutnstrut
04-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Hi I too hunt with my dad and for the last ten years we have hunted property in lapeer county. We just recently lost the property and will be looking for something new to hunt. Also I have hunted the st.helen area many times my grandparents live there love the area. I live in genesee county if anyone knows of property there or surrounding area let me know. Thanks

pacman59
04-19-2013, 08:41 AM
All,

I've got two young adult sons that I'm trying to start a tradition of deer hunting with in rifle territory. We're clean, non smokers with great values.

If anyone is looking to grow their party or for someone to use their land, please let me know. We can all sit down and meet over coffee or a beer and get to know each other.

Please email as I'm not on this site as often as I'd like to be.

Thanks,

Paul

Gambler1304
05-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Well I lost track of this thread after last season and saw some new replies so I will carry on the post. I wasn't able to meet up with anyone as of last year we almost had a few last minute joiners but it fell through do to family illness. Maybe this year they can make it.
We will be hunting again this year up in the Saint Helens Michigan area on State Land. They have camp grounds for RV's or campers. Water, electric, showers, basically everything you would need. I have additional info if you would like to start planning your trip now. Just send me a message. I will be attending with my Dad again this year.
We will not teach you how to hunt or hold your hand out in the woods. Yes I did have someone last season wanting me to teach them how to hunt and they had no prior experience in the woods or hunting.You should have completed a hunter safety course and or have some hunting experience. Unless you just want to go sit in the woods and enjoy the outdoors.

However we can sure help drag a deer out or track and do anything else that a friend would help out with. As long as your not hunting 10-15 miles away. There is plenty of land in the area we hunt that is not hunted where you can set up a blind or hunt from the ground. I don't advise stalk hunting on state land during opening week.
We typically go out and set up 3-4 weeks before rifle season opens. My father is now retired so he hunts basically all of November.
If you are interested in hunting in the area and are looking for a hunting group or whatever just contact me for details.

MichMarine
05-23-2013, 07:45 PM
I simply can't find any of my boys that like to hunt - plenty shoot frequently but they don't get into Nature. I'm down - let me know when, I'm self employed and can go anytime!

midqz
05-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Is this St. Helen that is north of West Branch?

Banger
05-31-2013, 06:14 PM
Hey guys,

I just moved up to Holly about a year ago. I used to hunt on my grandparents 200 acre farm in Stockbridge but my parents just sold the place. I would love to find a place to hunt and even someone to hunt with. Let me know if you have something available.

Thanks,

Paul

Gambler1304
06-10-2013, 06:36 PM
So we have received a lot of interest this year again. I have received several messages about details. I am working on the details now and should have some more information very soon. This is the St. Helen's located by West Branch for the last user that posted. I am not a local to this area I have just been hunting with my father up here for a long time. He has been hunting this area for 25 years.

hoffmaster
06-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Gambler 1304, How can we get ahold of you. Thanks, Hoffmaster

Gambler1304
06-28-2013, 09:20 PM
You can contact me on here in a PM or email me @ Shootthisone@aol.com Starting to get some more interest again this season had a few PM's and replies.

jjt1975
07-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Good post. I know the position you are in. This time next year, I will probably be alone in the woods as all my kids will have gone off to school. Just won't be the same.

I've been preparing myself for this for the last three years, inviting father/son/daughter combos to hunt with me on my private property, hoping to find someone that would be welcomed back year after year. So far... a lot of people have jumped at the chance to be accepted, yet not one of them have ever shown up.

Good luck!
Jackam,

my brother and I are looking for local land to to hunt as we just lost our prvt 80 we were hunting last year, the gentlemen who owned it was getting older and kept getting sicker every winter he spent a lot of time this last winter in the hospital and his kids decided it was time to sell the farm well the farmer who bought said we could still hunt it but he also said he was turning it into a H.A.P property and they also changed the layout of the land made the main part up where the old house use to be all field now. but anyway we used to help out anyway we could and anytime we were asked to help on the property we are respectable men we know what it is like to have prvt land to hunt and then loose it sucks we are both working married men with kids I really wish my kids were into hunting but they have chosen a different route with my youngest having Autism so there is absolutely no way we can get him in the field #1 he could not sit still long enough and # 2 he can not stand loud noises like a gun shot going off i really don't know if he cold even hadnle the sight of a deer being shot from time to time my wife will come out for an evening hunt maybe 2 or 3 times a year if am lucky lol but we are honest hard working family oriented guys who not have a problem helping out around the place if you needed a hand after a hunt doing something we are both located in Genesee county if you are close to this please let me know sorry for this being so long but thought if I gave a little more info and kinda tell ya about us it would help if not interested that is fine also we can understand that just as best friends close enough to consider each other brothers we have always hunted together everywhere.

hunter22375
07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
I live in the Stockbridge area but I am willing to travel for a decent place to hunt. I am a disabled vet and a loyal outdoorsman. I am interested in a lease as well for anyone who reads this. Just PM me. Thank you. :)

Gambler1304
10-04-2013, 03:47 PM
I have been extremely busy this year. My wife and I had another child a little girl. Work has just been crazy busy. I am hoping some of you have got in touch and maybe were able to work something out with getting together for this season. I will be hunting gun season this year up in St. Helens MI as I have talked about.
I will arrive November 14-20 maybe till the 22 if I can swing the extra few days. It's in Roscommon County.

The campground information is here:
http://www.richfieldtownship.org/campground.php

One Hotel/motel is Trails End motel that is right across the street from the campground. The owner is a nice guy I used to stay here before my dad got his RV.
http://www.trailsendmotel.biz/

You can also camp out on the Stateland if you get your permit to do so. You can bring a camper and there are plenty of areas to pull a camper into. The roads into them are pretty good. I don't suggest bringing a 30' camper though because of some of the turns.

You can look at maps and locate Marl Lake Rd. There is state land all over the area you can hunt on. We hunt on this state land. We hunt on the West side or if you were to turn left off F97 if you were traveling northbound onto Marl Lake Rd. There are other hunters who hunt this land and have been doing so for many years.

If you are going to hunt I would suggest not showing up the day before and just setting up a pop up blind opening day of rifle season. I will be headed up Oct. 12-14 to step up my area. I believe you can still bait also this year. I have not read anything different yet. So this would give you time to scout and find an area to hunt set up ribbons. Whatever you need to do.

However I might do some crossbow hunting that weekend also depending on time.

I do have property "well it's my fathers" about 40 acres that we will be hunting late season in Southwest Michigan in Allegan County just outside South Haven area either black powder or Bow Hunting. Typically every other weekend after rifle season until the season ends. You can hunt 2-3 people I have 1 blind set up. Plenty of room for tree stands or another ground blind. You can contact me for details either by private message or email: Shootthisone@aol.com

If you plan on hunting the St. Helen area and or are going to be camping at the park I put the information up for. Let me know would be great to meet up with some fellow like minded hunters.

Gambler1304
10-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Please let us know if any of you have got together to hunt, and in what area's. If you have an area to hunt or land you don't mind sharing with other hunters to share in the passion we all have for the sport let us know. Provide contact information and when and where your looking to hunt. I am sure people are looking we have received a lot of interest from all over the state. I have received several messages and inquiries about the trip and getting together.

Next Season I should have a camper of my own and will be looking for people to get together and hunt a few places throughout the season. If I had one this year I wouldn't mind people using it for the St. Helens MI hunt. So this year you need your own lodging.

If you are leasing land please post it under another topic. I don't believe in Hunting leases. I wish i had 200 or more acres that I could just let people hunt on of my own. We pay for enough in life. I would probably stop hunting before I pay someone cash money to hunt their land. However if you want some of the meat from the harvest I have no problems sharing. Just my thoughts on it.

sse
10-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Great idea...get together, have a good time, show the little ones what a great time hunting season can be...!

Gambler1304
11-05-2013, 05:10 PM
So I hope everyone is working out details on their hunting for this year. I have updated the details for my hunt. I will be looking for some late Season hunting buddies this year in Southwest Michigan on my Property. Muzzle loader, Bow, and or Crossbow. If you have a camper and the time we can make a weekend out of it. Message me for details no dates picked out yet just have to see what happens after rifle season.

FIJI
11-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Just now drove in from the east coast. Been looking forward to this hunting excursion since you first posted it, yet....

still no name
no phone number
no vehicle/rig description

so I guess as I load up the truck now to finally head north I will NOT be heading your way after all.
:eatsmile:

Jackam
11-17-2013, 10:38 PM

Found a trio that actually came to hunt! So far, they've taken two deer and I expect them to get another as they are very serious hunters. A father, his 16 year old son, and his 17 year old daughter. The young lady has yet to shoot one this season but I know she'll persevere until she gets to pull the trigger.

The really nice thing is that this guy has raised his kids about the same way I did mine. They are the politest kids you'll meet. Not only do I get "Thank You's" but also handshakes every time we parted ways.
The father was in the Marines and now is a hard working man. I like this guy. He found me because of this post. I don't know if he'll ever be back on the MGO forum but I hope he takes an interest. He's a good hunter and is very interested in ballistics.

Okay, I'm done rambling. As Phil Robertson would say "I'm happy happy happy!"

Rambo1911
11-19-2013, 12:24 PM
i am in te same boat as some of you my son went off to college in Wyoming and now i go alone . if anyone has ideas on putting together a camp i would be interested . would love to find a good camp and good people to hunt with makes it much more enjoyeable.

PWND3r
11-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Sounds interesting and a good way to meet fellow hunters.

Gambler1304
11-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Just now drove in from the east coast. Been looking forward to this hunting excursion since you first posted it, yet....

still no name
no phone number
no vehicle/rig description

so I guess as I load up the truck now to finally head north I will NOT be heading your way after all.
:eatsmile:

I posted all the information and the address. I sent you a PM and I saw you sent me one back. With the storms that came in Sunday a lot of places were without power. So we had no internet or power Sunday Monday and part of Tuesday till it was restored. The hunting weather was actually terrible there this year. It rained then had tornado warnings and then it warmed back up. We decided to just head back home tonight due to the next few days are going to have more rain and high winds. I am still trying to get people for a late season hunt in December. I thought I sent you all my information in an email or a pm. I have to look back at them.

Gambler1304
11-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Found a trio that actually came to hunt! So far, they've taken two deer and I expect them to get another as they are very serious hunters. A father, his 16 year old son, and his 17 year old daughter. The young lady has yet to shoot one this season but I know she'll persevere until she gets to pull the trigger.

The really nice thing is that this guy has raised his kids about the same way I did mine. They are the politest kids you'll meet. Not only do I get "Thank You's" but also handshakes every time we parted ways.
The father was in the Marines and now is a hard working man. I like this guy. He found me because of this post. I don't know if he'll ever be back on the MGO forum but I hope he takes an interest. He's a good hunter and is very interested in ballistics.

Okay, I'm done rambling. As Phil Robertson would say "I'm happy happy happy!"

Jackam this is awesome. I am glad you guys had a good hunt. Mine kind of stunk but I still have some time back at home to hunt a few days before I have to get back to work. Then we have late season.