PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Solo, Perfect Pocket Pistol

N8IYR
11-03-2012, 09:44 AM
I recently was lucky enough to find a Kimber Solo in stock at Silver Bullet in GR. After reading early reviews, I was hesitant to purchase, but figured, Kimber Im sure has fixed any issues.

Well I can tell you that in fact they have and I couldn't be happier with the Solo.

I have owned and carried just about every popular Pocket pistol, LC9, Kahr PM9, LCR, LCP, Guardian, Glock, Sig P238, Sig P232 and several more.

This Solo has them beat, in fit and finish as well as Balance. It weighs about the same as a PM9, while the Literature states the PM9 is less, Kahr weight is with out the Magazine, the Solo is with it.

For Pocket carry, up until now, the Kahr PM9 and the Sig P238 where my choices out of what I have owned, but the Kahr is a bit squared off making it bulge more, the Sig P238 was very nice, but with my larger pockets, the gun seemed to spin around even with a good holster. The Sig P938 with its ambi safety turned off in my pocket 5 out of 7 days, even with a Holster covering it. I think it hit door ways or my steering wheel or something.

The Solo is a prefect balance between the 2. It is the same length as the PM9 so it doesn't spin, but it is rounded even better than the sig, so doesn't bulge my pocket to bad. While it has an Ambi Safety, it doesn't stick out and even uncovered has not switched off.

Now on to shooting it, The Gun shoots much like the Kahr, a little snappy, but not unreasonable. it is a Natural point of aim in my hands anyway. And is very accurate.

The early reports of FTF and Jams has been fixed. It feeds everything I gave it from Premium HP, to cheap Walmart target ammo. No issues what so ever.

I have been waiting for the perfect Pocket Pistol, and I think I have found it with the Solo.

If your in the market, give it a chance, it is a great quality Pistol.:score:

MC350
11-11-2012, 03:16 PM
The December 2012 issue of Guns & Ammo has a nice review/test of the pocket nines on the market. Worthwhile reading the reviews & specs..... Solo's trigger was highly rated.....

N8IYR
11-13-2012, 08:38 PM
The December 2012 issue of Guns & Ammo has a nice review/test of the pocket nines on the market. Worthwhile reading the reviews & specs..... Solo's trigger was highly rated.....

Yes, the trigger is the best I have had in this type of gun. The PM9 trigger was nice, but this one is actually smoother. Also capable of carrying with out the safety on as it is close to the PM9 triggers stroke length and weight.

It truly is the nicest I have owned.

Veteran
11-17-2012, 11:53 AM
I have a PM-9 with factory night sights and enhanced trigger. Couldn't be more satisfied. I've looked at the solo and with the improvments you state, I'd like one too. Very cool pistol.

boonsur
11-19-2012, 11:30 AM
I bought my SOLO a couple weeks ago. Probably within hours of when you did (I saw your post). I had called Silver Bullet earlier and they had a couple. By the time I got there, they only had one (other than the display model). Didn't have a chance to shoot it since then, so I've reserved judgment.

Finally got it to the range yesterday, and it was perfect. Ran about 150 rounds of "whitebox" ammo, and had no issues. Looks like they've resolved their issues. What a great gun.

It carries really well (extremely comfortable with the thin handle and rounded edges). I am currently using a cheap holster, but now that I’m sure it’s the gun for me, I’m going to find a better one.

bigbang
11-19-2012, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=Veteran]I have a PM-9 with factory night sights and enhanced trigger. Couldn't be more satisfied. QUOTE]

Where/how did you get an "enhanced trigger" for a PM9? I've got a CM9 that could use a little TLC in that department.

Sorry about the off topic!!!

N8IYR
11-19-2012, 08:52 PM
I bought my SOLO a couple weeks ago. Probably within hours of when you did (I saw your post). I had called Silver Bullet earlier and they had a couple. By the time I got there, they only had one (other than the display model). Didn't have a chance to shoot it since then, so I've reserved judgment.

Finally got it to the range yesterday, and it was perfect. Ran about 150 rounds of "whitebox" ammo, and had no issues. Looks like they've resolved their issues. What a great gun.

It carries really well (extremely comfortable with the thin handle and rounded edges). I am currently using a cheap holster, but now that I’m sure it’s the gun for me, I’m going to find a better one.

Glad you like yours as well.
RKBA makes a nice pocket holster for it and so does DM Bullard.
Enjoy!!

Lynn
11-20-2012, 06:13 AM
"Gun Test" magazine mentioned several months ago that the Solo had a very stout recoil spring that caused difficulty regarding pulling the slide back and chambering the first round. Did anybody experience this difficulty?

boonsur
11-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Yes, the slide is pretty stout. Takes quite a bit of effort to get the slide-lock engaged, in order to chamber the first round (the bullets need to be fed "with authority", by releasing the slide lock or slingshoting the slide).

I also noticed the magazine release is heavy when there are bullets in it (it is fine, when empty). I find it helps to push on the bottom of the magazine to take the spring pressure off.

This gun does take quite a bit of strength to operate, but once it is running, it is fine. My young son had no problems. I have also kept the slide locked-back overnight(s) which has helped soften the spring. I find it very acceptable for a carry, self-defense gun.

It shoots with quite a bit of kick (expected for a small, light gun), but I find it doesn't "sting" as much as the other ones I tried (Sig 938, Kahr PM9, Ruger). I think the heavy spring really helps dissapate the energy. Some of the others really smacked my hands, causing a lof of pain after just a few rounds. The Solo does not. It was (relatively) quite pleasant to shoot at the range.

boonsur
11-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks N8IYR, for the holster links. In my searching I hadn't seen these names. I am very interested in the RKBA holsters, but his website doesn't say too much. Do you have experience with him?

cwo4uscgret
11-20-2012, 09:22 AM
I read the G&A article two nights ago; they only speak of the guns currently available from manufacturers; I have two 9mm pistols that fall into the "pocket" category; both are called Pocket 9 by their makers. One is a Detonics the other a Colt Pocket 9. Both are very well made DAO pistols; the only bad thing I can say is the recoil of the Detonics is stout for a 9mm.

N8IYR
11-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks N8IYR, for the holster links. In my searching I hadn't seen these names. I am very interested in the RKBA holsters, but his website doesn't say too much. Do you have experience with him?

Yes, That is the one I currently use. Stephen is a great guy and usually can make them up and have it to you in 2 weeks or less. DM Bullard takes a couple months unless in stock.

RKBA is very nice quality and it covers the safety.

I will try to take a pic of mine and post later tonight for you.

N8IYR
11-20-2012, 06:43 PM

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/N8IYR/photo1.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/N8IYR/photo.jpg

Sorry they are upside down, I took them from my iPhone and I can never remember which way is correct with it since I don't use it often for pictures

N8IYR
11-20-2012, 06:50 PM
"Gun Test" magazine mentioned several months ago that the Solo had a very stout recoil spring that caused difficulty regarding pulling the slide back and chambering the first round. Did anybody experience this difficulty?

Hi Lynn,

Since I had a Sig P232 before the Solo, the slide wasn't an issue for me. If you have ever felt the slide on a 232, you know what I am talking about.
I didnt find it overly stout, but I have also read that after a few hundred rounds both the slide and the Mag release get easier. I only have 75 down mine, mag release is still a little stiff, but a bit better than new, the slide as I said, wasn't noticeable to me as stout, but again, it depends on what you had before!!

Still, all in all, and as I mentioned, I have had dozens of pocket pistols, the Solo is by far my favorite.

If I had a complaint, it would be the grip, The front and back strap are smooth on mine, and it was harder to grip well to pocket draw, so a little piece of grip tape on the front strap cured it. You can somewhat see it in my Picture of the holster. I didn't do the back strap as it wasn't needed once I did this one. It was only a cut piece about an inch long and 3/8" wide cut from a Glock grip set, but I hear that skate board tape works well too.
They are now making a version with checkered straps, but way to pricey for what you get, especially since this whole set was only $6

Veteran
11-21-2012, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=Veteran]I have a PM-9 with factory night sights and enhanced trigger. Couldn't be more satisfied. QUOTE]

Where/how did you get an "enhanced trigger" for a PM9? I've got a CM9 that could use a little TLC in that department.

Sorry about the off topic!!!

Adam at Michi-Gun ordered it like that for me. Factory installed, don't know if you can get it after. Might have to contact Kahr to see if they can do it. That weapon is with me 16 hours a day.

DamienM
01-26-2013, 03:39 PM
The two people that I know to own this pistol are not too happy, seeming to have issues with it. The lady friend wanted to purchase one to carry but am having big questions as to it being reliable when she would need it to be.

Its definitely a neat little carrier..

N8IYR
01-26-2013, 03:51 PM
I understand they had issues in the beginning, but I had no issues with mine. I did sell it however, but not due to the gun itself.
I pocket carry 100% and am in and out of my car allot. The Ambi Mag release would sometimes bump the steering wheel and eject, and I had a high quality leather pocket holster made for it from RKBA.

At least with mine, I would not hesitate to buy another if it just wasn't ambi

N8IYR
01-26-2013, 03:56 PM
As an extra note, I had the same issue with a SIG P938 only it was the safety turning off instead of the mag release.
My son is a leftie, I understand the ambi issue, but I wish they just made it reversible instead of having the controls on both sides.

I now carry a SIG P238 non ambi and it is perfect, just spins around in the pocket sometimes, unlike the Solo, but I guess there is no real perfect pocket pistol, just have to pick the best for you.

soupyu
02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks for sharing!

flhpi
02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
^^^spamming for 10 posts