PDA

View Full Version : Ever had someone try to run you off your hunting spot?

jdc48160
11-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Happened to me today.

Guy walked right up to my blind and asked me "Who the hell are you?" I told him. Then he asked me, "That your white F150 at the gate?" Yup. "(name withheld) called the cops on you a couple times already but you're always gone by time they get here. You got permission to be here?" Yup, and told him who I had permission from to hunt the property.

He then proceeds to tell me about another guy driving a white F150 that is out there hunting without permission from anyone. Tells me the guy's name, and it turns out, I ran across the guy a couple weeks ago when I was handling the deer my buddy hit with his truck. The guy does indeed drive a white F150, but previous generation body style to my truck.

Guy then apologizes to me for ruining my hunt, and I tell him that if I see the other guy, I'll run him off.

So, on my way out tonight, I stop by the property owner's house and talk to him about all of this. Says he had to run that guy, and others off multiple times this season from different spots on the 52 acres. Said one guy even told HIM, to "Get the **** off my property." When he knew damn well he was trespassing on the owner's land. Hilarious how brazen some of these idiots are.

Also bumped into the guy who owns the next parcel of land up the road from where I hunt at. Good dude, we talked for a bit about all the trespassing issues that are going on out there on the land people have. It's ridiculous. He was born and raised in that area, and he told me that guys used to bring videos to school of trespassing and hunting people's land without permission when he was in high school. How stupid are people? You're gonna video tape you illegally hunting?

I play it straight. Get permission to hunt the land, or don't hunt it. Simple as that.

westcliffe01
11-08-2012, 09:42 PM
A group of hunters had the gall to cut about 16ft out of a farmers fence to get their ATV's onto his land. We don't know what else they did, but that is not the way to make friends or influence people. We find at least 4-5 people trespassing every year, having set up tree stands on the property...

jdc48160
11-09-2012, 12:01 AM
A group of hunters had the gall to cut about 16ft out of a farmers fence to get their ATV's onto his land. We don't know what else they did, but that is not the way to make friends or influence people. We find at least 4-5 people trespassing every year, having set up tree stands on the property...

The guy who owns the property I hunt has a few tree stands he's taken down that trespassers have put up over the years he's lived there.

I'd do the same thing if people put up stands on my land and they were trespassing to hunt there.

Phelptwan
11-09-2012, 03:55 PM
My parents had somebody call the cops on them because they were insisting their acreage was part of a public timber area half mile down the road. They were wrong. Unfortunately my parents didn't press charges.

HamSandWich
11-09-2012, 06:01 PM
i hunt on family owned property outside of charlevoix. i encounter trespassers all the time. none so far have claimed they own the property, but many have said they have permission from the parcel owner next to ours. I just inform them of where the lines are and see to it they leave.

i have yet to run into the same guys twice, but i do know they are all 'locals' up there, and they know where they are supposed to be and where they are not. One day i may just invite the local sheriff to help them discover where the lines are

Tango125INF11b
11-12-2012, 03:52 AM
I was on state land near Mount Pleasant and was run out of a blind once during bow season (three seasons ago). He told me he was going to get his boys to remove me from his ground blind. I was carrying with my CPL, but instead of engaging in a confrontation, I just left and notified DNR who practically gave two turds less. Afterall, his neanderthalic screaming scared off anything within a mile anyhow. Never hunted state land in Mount Pleasant area since. Been private ever since. I actually think I told HamSandwich this story before when he was still in Mount Pleasant.

GregK
11-12-2012, 07:39 PM
I hunt 2 farms located rite across the street from one another & I've been running trespassers off for years. I heard everything from "We own this property" to "We're good friends with the owner" Funny the never know the land owners name or where any property lines are.

familyhunter
11-13-2012, 09:10 AM
I run into the same thing people saying they own the property or have permission to hunt funny thing my family has owned and farmed the property for 40 years and some of it for over 100 years.

jdc48160
11-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Looks like I gotta help the property owner where I hunt run someone off tomorrow.

He called me today and asked me about a tree stand on the property line south of my blind. He thought it was mine. When I told him it wasn't, he said, "If you don't mind, walk the property line south of your blind and let me know what you see. We'll go take it down if we have to."

Looks like I might get myself a new tree stand tomorrow.

If you're dumb enough to trespass and put up a stand or blind on that land you're trespassing on, you don't deserve to get your stuff back. Hunting karma.

HoldHard
11-14-2012, 09:58 AM
If you're dumb enough to trespass and put up a stand or blind on that land you're trespassing on, you don't deserve to get your stuff back.
:yeahthat:

You pay the property taxes. You pay to install fencing. You buy the "Private Property - Keep Out" signs and post them on the fencing. You put in a food plot and other nutrients for white tail deer....

And still the yahoos trespass.

Losing a tree stand or blind would be the least of their worries if it were my property. Local law enforcement would be contacted and I would not hesitate to press charges.

HH

keen one
11-28-2012, 07:08 AM
One more vote for encounters with less than honorable people.
My encounters generally are with the "neighbors"...since they live close to our property (e.g. 3 acres and a mobile home) they can use our family's 160 acres...we're not local.
Try to get a Sheriff to invesitgate. Ha. They have more important things to do than protect rights of non-county residents.

nitrous_bob
11-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Yes I did, I was about 18 and shot a doe on the state land we hunt near stanton

I was tracking a nice heavy blood trail, when a guy yelled at me. Now I've hunted that land since I was 10, going out with my dad, and I knew it pretty well, but he claimed I was on private, I asked where the sighns were (its HEAVILY posted) and he couldn't tell me

He was hunting with an AR , and didn't seem real knowledgeable

But he was insistent enuff that I was on private property I left, im sure he tagged my deer

langenc
12-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Tagging a deer you didnt shoot is illegal. Also puttiung up a blind and leaving it must have owners noame on it, if I recall correctly.

Call the hot line number or get the local deer cops number and invite him out to see for himself.

Farmer Dan
12-07-2012, 01:19 AM
My father in law has problems with bow hunters sneaking onto his 209 acres. It's all fenced and marked. He asked me to walk the property and chase anyone I find away. He rents the land to farmers during crop season and hunters during hunting season so trespassing costs him money. First day out there I ran into a bow hunter that said "I was here first go away!" I told him again why I was there and that he needed to leave peaceful like. He started cussing at me. I asked him if he was blind because I'm openly carrying a .357 magnum and a Winchester 94 and you have a bow and a belt knife. He had the gall to stand up and notch an arrow. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed 911 laid the phone on the ground so they could hear the conversation and drew my revolver (keeping it pointed at the ground). Told the trespasser "next move is yours leave or draw!". The state police where waiting for him when he got to his car and I got a free tree stand. Not a good experience put sure did get some brownie points with my father in law. Can't believe how stupid and arrogant these poachers are.

Cackler
12-07-2012, 08:11 AM
My father in law has problems with bow hunters sneaking onto his 209 acres. It's all fenced and marked. He asked me to walk the property and chase anyone I find away. He rents the land to farmers during crop season and hunters during hunting season so trespassing costs him money. First day out there I ran into a bow hunter that said "I was here first go away!" I told him again why I was there and that he needed to leave peaceful like. He started cussing at me. I asked him if he was blind because I'm openly carrying a .357 magnum and a Winchester 94 and you have a bow and a belt knife. He had the gall to stand up and notch an arrow. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed 911 laid the phone on the ground so they could hear the conversation and drew my revolver (keeping it pointed at the ground). Told the trespasser "next move is yours leave or draw!". The state police where waiting for him when he got to his car and I got a free tree stand. Not a good experience put sure did get some brownie points with my father in law. Can't believe how stupid and arrogant these poachers are.

Sounds to me like you were threatening him with physical harm. Some people don't take kindly to being threatened and anybody out patrolling with a rifle and a handgun in bow season is definitely hunting for trouble it sounds like.

JohnnieBravo
12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
We get lots of new tree stands every year off our property in Hillman, i havent bought a new one in 8 years lol

7.62 Nato
12-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Sounds to me like you were threatening him with physical harm. Some people don't take kindly to being threatened and anybody out patrolling with a rifle and a handgun in bow season is definitely hunting for trouble it sounds like.
Sounds to me like you have a really stupid way of looking at things.

Cackler
12-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Sounds to me like you have a really stupid way of looking at things.

Sounds to me like you might look at being confronted by some armed cowboy type a little differently than normal people.

To each their own but, having been down that path before, I don't take kindly to threats from armed individuals.

7.62 Nato
12-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Sounds to me like you might look at being confronted by some armed cowboy type a little differently than normal people.

To each their own but, having been down that path before, I don't take kindly to threats from armed individuals.
Guess if you're trespassing on their property you don't have much choice. Or do you still feel that you're "special"?

Cackler
12-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Guess if you're trespassing on their property you don't have much choice. Or do you still feel that you're "special"?

Please point us to the law that excludes property owners or their son in law from the statutes concerning assault when confronting people whether they are tresspassing or not.

7.62 Nato
12-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Please point us to the law that excludes property owners or their son in law from the statutes concerning assault when confronting people whether they are tresspassing or not.

Please point us to the law that says what he did was illegal.

Cackler
12-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Please point us to the law that says what he did was illegal.

If you don't see an issue with somebody going armed and ackting like that to chase people away so as to get brownie points, I guess I don't want to bother wasting time trying to explain things to you.

Let me just say, telling somebody to draw is looking for problems whether you see it that way or not.

My father in law has problems with bow hunters sneaking onto his 209 acres. He asked me to walk the property and chase anyone I find away. He rents the land to farmers during crop season and hunters during hunting season so trespassing costs him money. First day out there I ran into a bow hunter that said "I was here first go away!" I told him again why I was there and that he needed to leave peaceful like. He started cussing at me. I asked him if he was blind because I'm openly carrying a .357 magnum and a Winchester 94 and you have a bow and a belt knife. He had the gall to stand up and notch an arrow. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed 911 laid the phone on the ground so they could hear the conversation and drew my revolver (keeping it pointed at the ground). Told the trespasser "next move is yours leave or draw!". The state police where waiting for him when he got to his car and I got a free tree stand. Not a good experience put sure did get some brownie points with my father in law. Can't believe how stupid and arrogant these poachers are.

oil dripper
12-07-2012, 02:39 PM
If you don't see an issue with somebody going armed and ackting like that to chase people away so as to get brownie points, I guess I don't want to bother wasting time trying to explain things to you.

Let me just say, telling somebody to draw is looking for problems whether you see it that way or not.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Zx7uC2V01Tw/ThGS4xjYUJI/AAAAAAAAIRw/SMH3JOIrn9o/s400/do-you-feel-lucky-punk.png

Farmer Dan
12-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I had the land owner's written permission to be there (he did not). I had a valid small game licenses that justified my being armed (he had no license of any kind). The bow hunter made the first aggressive move when "loaded" his bow. Instead of backing down I stood my ground. and before you say it the .357 was loaded with shot not hollow points.

7.62 Nato
12-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I really feel sorry for you Lee. :-(

Cackler
12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
I had the land owner's written permission to be there (he did not). I had a valid small game licenses that justified my being armed (he had no license of any kind). The bow hunter made the first aggressive move when "loaded" his bow. Instead of backing down I stood my ground. and before you say it the .357 was loaded with shot not hollow points.

Rationalize your moves until you are blue in the face, I don't care.

I think that you are mighty lucky that the bow hunter did not draw a pistol like you told him to and capped your foolish ash. Just sayin'

emt232004
12-08-2012, 03:25 AM
Rationalize your moves until you are blue in the face, I don't care.

I think that you are mighty lucky that the bow hunter did not draw a pistol like you told him to and capped your foolish ash. Just sayin'

Did you read the entire post? He was threatened by the person who tresspassed and responded

Cackler
12-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Did you read the entire post? He was threatened by the person who tresspassed and responded

The way I read it, he was the one that drew his weapon and threatened the tresspasser.

If you were stuck in a tree, and some cowboy type was on the ground and drew a gun and told you to draw, are you telling me that you are one that is being the agressor?

I think that the totality of the circumstances here need to be considered, and while the bow hunter could hardly claim that he was standing his ground, I am not at all convinced that the cowboy type could make that claim either, given the circumstances as posted.

emt232004
12-08-2012, 06:09 AM
The way I read it, he was the one that drew his weapon and threatened the tresspasser.

If you were stuck in a tree, and some cowboy type was on the ground and drew a gun and told you to draw, are you telling me that you are one that is being the agressor?

I think that the totality of the circumstances here need to be considered, and while the bow hunter could hardly claim that he was standing his ground, I am not at all convinced that the cowboy type could make that claim either, given the circumstances as posted.

1. This person is tresspassing, I do not know who he is or what he is doing on my land.

2. He became aggressive with cussing.

3. He raised his bow.

Looks like defense to me.

As far as being stuck in a tree, I would not leave myself in a position on someone else's land I did not have permission to be on.

Leader
12-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Devils advocate responding here.....

1. This person is tresspassing, I do not know who he is or what he is doing on my land.
He doesn't know who you are either.
He doesn't know what you are doing there either.
You see a man up in a tree in a treestand with a bow & arrows and you say you don't know what he is doing? I wonder if you should be carrying a gun at all.

2. He became aggressive with cussing.
Some stranger comes at me with a pistol & a rifle I might get upset too. You may have just run off a nice 12 point buck, I KNOW I would be cussing then.
3. He raised his bow.
After you threatened him with the are you blind I'm carrying a pistol & rifle comment.

Looks like defense to me.
On his part.

As far as being stuck in a tree, I would not leave myself in a position on someone else's land I did not have permission to be on.

God.. I just can't stand the thought of agreeing with Done Deal.

TangoDown3727
12-08-2012, 10:24 AM
The way I see it, If you are trespassing on someone's land and you DO NOT have permission to be there (hence the "tresspassing" part), then you have NO say in what happens and NO right to become angry at the person who does have permission or owns the land, when they tell you to GTFO! Otherwise you're inviting whatever butthurt you experience, whether you like it or not. End of story.

mikeb32
12-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Agreed!! The Son in Law was acting as a Representative of the Land owner, who wanted the Trespasser off his property.
He possibly could have handled it differently.....But I wasn't there!!

Cackler
12-08-2012, 10:44 AM
The way I see it, If you are trespassing on someone's land and you DO NOT have permission to be there (hence the "tresspassing" part), then you have NO say in what happens and NO right to become angry at the person who does have permission or owns the land, when they tell you to GTFO! Otherwise you're inviting whatever butthurt you experience, whether you like it or not. End of story.

Say what? No ******* cowboy has a right to tell anybody to draw, even if he does keep the owners daughter warm at night.

Anybody that draws on a hunter (and then tells the hunter to draw) is escalating the situation from a simple tresspass situation to very possibly a felonious assault.

7.62 Nato
12-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Lee,
It's a shame you don't get the help you need. It's disconcerting you were once allowed to have a tin badge. It's pathetic the arguements you start. It's absurd the amount of times you're allowed to "sneak" back on here after being banned. You make yourself AND MGO look foolish.

Chopper
12-08-2012, 11:08 AM
:yeahthat:

TangoDown3727
12-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Say what? No ******* cowboy has a right to tell anybody to draw, even if he does keep the owners daughter warm at night.

Anybody that draws on a hunter (and then tells the hunter to draw) is escalating the situation from a simple tresspass situation to very possibly a felonious assault.

LOL spoken like a true fan of trespassing and disregard for people's private property! So I guess no one has any rights to their own land and control of it. We're just all "Entitled" to go anywhere we want and do whatever we want. How dare they tell me I can't hunt here, after all I expended my time and energy to walk here find this spot and plant my butt in it, that makes it mine!! :coocoo: Reading the OP, sure the land owners representative might have not been all warm and fuzzy with his language informing the bowhunter of his mistake but the bowhunter stood and nocked up an arrow in a threatening manner first and set in motion whatever events took place from there, we weren't there so we have to go with what the OP said. Like it or not, The whole exchange, good or bad, would never have happened had the bowhunter stayed out of private property he had no business hunting on and/or left quietly at the first informing that he was indeed in error. No further machismo required on either part.

Cackler
12-08-2012, 01:58 PM
LOL spoken like a true fan of trespassing and disregard for people's private property! So I guess no one has any rights to their own land and control of it. We're just all "Entitled" to go anywhere we want and do whatever we want. How dare they tell me I can't hunt here, after all I expended my time and energy to walk here find this spot and plant my butt in it, that makes it mine!! :coocoo: Reading the OP, sure the land owners representative might have not been all warm and fuzzy with his language informing the bowhunter of his mistake but the bowhunter stood and nocked up an arrow in a threatening manner first and set in motion whatever events took place from there, we weren't there so we have to go with what the OP said. Like it or not, The whole exchange, good or bad, would never have happened had the bowhunter stayed out of private property he had no business hunting on and/or left quietly at the first informing that he was indeed in error. No further machismo required on either part.

Like it or not, the entire exchange would have never happened like that had the SIL had not gone hunting (literally and figuratively) for potential tresspassers, and done so while armed to the teeth.

The small game license line of crap was just that.

The bottom line is, even if somebody is potentially tresspassing, they still have rights too, they do not end at the propertly line. Having been on the receiving end of similar cowboy antics more than once (while NOT technically tresspassing but the cowboy thought differently) I can tell you that there are a couple of cowboys that are alive today because I verbally diffused the situation rather than playing their unnecessary game of potentially lethal escalation. I am also aware of other hunting situations where armed people did all sorts of all sorts of felonious illegal acts while supposedly dealing with the situation and people were harmed.

Tresspasser or not, NOBODY has the right to while armed to tell somebody to draw. One of these days, those cowboy antics could easily produce a response that may be the last one the cowboy ever anticipated.

Stupid sheet, no matter how you look at it and ILLEGAL (more so than mere tresspassing) too boot. Anybody that thinks otherwise is either ignorant of the law or mighty foolish.

Chopper
12-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Like it or not, the entire exchange would have never happened like that had the SIL had not gone hunting (literally and figuratively) for potential tresspassers, and done so while armed to the teeth.

The small game license line of crap was just that.

The bottom line is, even if somebody is potentially tresspassing, they still have rights too, they do not end at the propertly line. Having been on the receiving end of similar cowboy antics more than once (while NOT technically tresspassing but the cowboy thought differently) I can tell you that there are a couple of cowboys that are alive today because I verbally diffused the situation rather than playing their unnecessary game of potentially lethal escalation. I am also aware of other hunting situations where armed people did all sorts of all sorts of felonious illegal acts while supposedly dealing with the situation and people were harmed.

Tresspasser or not, NOBODY has the right to while armed to tell somebody to draw. One of these days, those cowboy antics could easily produce a response that may be the last one the cowboy ever anticipated.

Stupid sheet, no matter how you look at it and ILLEGAL (more so than mere tresspassing) too boot. Anybody that thinks otherwise is either ignorant of the law or mighty foolish.
why are you even on this site? realy your saying that if you see some one you dont know walking around on your land armed your going to put your gun up and go talk to them unarmed?

Cackler
12-08-2012, 02:36 PM
why are you even on this site? realy your saying that if you see some one you dont know walking around on your land armed your going to put your gun up and go talk to them unarmed?

I never said that and you know it.

The bottom line is, words or actions when armed that may cause a situation to escalate into a potentially lethal encounter could very well be subject to the scrutiny of the courts. Who in their right mind would want to put themselves in that position (if they live to get prosecuted)?

TangoDown3727
12-08-2012, 02:45 PM
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: No sense arguing with a Troll I guess. Something tells me he'll continue to have his "Cowboy" encounters. Good luck with drafting the "Tresspasser's Bill of Rights"!

Cackler
12-08-2012, 03:22 PM
No sense arguing with a Troll I guess. Something tells me he'll continue to have his "Cowboy" encounters. Good luck with drafting the "Tresspasser's Bill of Rights"!

No sense leaving common sense at home when dealing with potential tresspassers either but, to each their own.

lwout65
12-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Agreed!! The Son in Law was acting as a Representative of the Land owner, who wanted the Trespasser off his property.
He possibly could have handled it differently.....But I wasn't there!!

Amen.

Jackam
12-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Did the fact that he's carrying afield a center fire rifle during BOW season escape everyone?

Cackler
12-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Did the fact that he's carrying afield a center fire rifle during BOW season escape everyone?

Cowboys do that when they are hunting for tresspassers to please their FIL.

C'mon now...

7.62 Nato
12-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Wanna cite the law where that's illegal on private property or are your opinions still more important?

Cackler
12-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Wanna cite the law where that's illegal on private property or are your opinions still more important?

Public or private, you simply cannot threaten a person like he did with a firearm especially when you have the ability to carry out that threat.

What did the cowboy want the guy in the tree to do, make his day by drawing?

Like I said, the cowboy appears to have left his common sense in his gun case, the same place he should have left his guns.

emt232004
12-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Public or private, you simply cannot threaten a person like he did with a firearm especially when you have the ability to carry out that threat.

What did the cowboy want the guy in the tree to do, make his day by drawing?

Like I said, the cowboy appears to have left his common sense in his gun case, the same place he should have left his guns.

Do you have any common sense? The hunter was tresspassing and loaded an arrow. That is the threat and the other guy responded. I'm glad you're not a lawyer.

So once again the person with the firearm responded to the threat by the bow hunter.

7.62 Nato
12-10-2012, 07:13 PM
So again you twist the facts to meet your twisted opinion of how everybody else should live by LEEs law.

Pathetic.

fr3db3ar
12-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Legal for coyotes of all kinds.

emt232004
12-10-2012, 11:23 PM

Open carry is legal with permission of property owner.

7.62 Nato
12-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Some "people" think their opinion carries more weight than the law.

Open carry is legal with permission of property owner.

LOL !!! Don't get this one started on OC. He just might get the ban hammer. AGAIN !!!

jm0502
12-10-2012, 11:48 PM
he could always be hunting hogs.

Mongo
12-11-2012, 06:26 AM

I'm not on the side of the trespasser, but isn't the above verbal announcement the first "threat". If someone announced to me a weapons comparison, I'd start feeling threatened. I'm fine with all of "farmer dan's" actions except this one I question.

emt232004
12-11-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm not on the side of the trespasser, but isn't the above verbal announcement the first "threat". If someone announced to me a weapons comparison, I'd start feeling threatened. I'm fine with all of "farmer dan's" actions except this one I question.

I'd start feeling threatened at the point of there being a tresspasser who is armed on land he does not belong.

Cackler
12-11-2012, 08:17 AM

How about the "leave or draw"???? This isn't the wild west and cowboy actions like that should not be condoned under any circumstances.

SteveS
12-11-2012, 09:36 AM

You are correct. It could be. If a 'reasonable person' would be in fear of an imminent battery, then the person making the threat has committed an assault. If the person making the threat has a 'dangerous weapon', then it is felonious assault.

If the bowhunter had made the first move, then the other person could claim self-defense.

Regardless, you can't use lethal force, or the threat of lethal force, to eject a person from your property.

Closing this thread because it seems to have gone the route of name calling and personal attacks.