PDA

View Full Version : Antlerless deer license purchase limits decreased due to EHD concer

westcliffe01
11-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Link (http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTIxMTA5LjExOTc5OTQxJ m1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDEyMTEwOS4xMTk3OTk 0MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MjUyNTUzJmVtY WlsaWQ9a2VpdGhfb2xpdmllcl8yMDAzQHlhaG9vLmNvbSZ1c2V yaWQ9a2VpdGhfb2xpdmllcl8yMDAzQHlhaG9vLmNvbSZmbD0mZ Xh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/MIDNR-5bd70b)

Press Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nov. 9, 2012

Contacts: Brent Rudolph, 517-641-4903, ext. 228, and Ed Golder, 517-335-3014

In response to EHD concerns, DNR director
decreases antlerless deer license purchase limits

With evidence of epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) now affecting white-tailed deer in more than 30 Michigan counties, Department of Natural Resources Director Keith Creagh has signed an emergency order that decreases antlerless license purchase limits for deer management units (DMUs) where the most EHD-related die-offs have occurred. Director Creagh signed the order during yesterday’s regular monthly meeting of the Natural Resources Commission.

Effective immediately, the purchase limit for DMU 486 (a multicounty unit in the southern Lower Peninsula) is five private land antlerless deer hunting licenses per hunter. Also effective immediately, the public antlerless license purchase limit per hunter is two for each of the following DMUs: 012 (Branch), 034 (Ionia), 039 (Kalamazoo), 041 (Kent), 044 (Lapeer), 076 (Sanilac), 078 (Shiawassee), 079 (Tuscola) and 080 (Van Buren).

Individuals who purchased antlerless licenses prior to this emergency order are not required to return licenses. This order only applies to antlerless licenses purchased on or after Nov. 8, 2012.

“With this order, I hope to remind individuals to assess their local situation, and in areas where EHD has hit the hardest, either take a minimal number of antlerless deer or not take any at all,” said Director Creagh. “We strongly believe most hunters will make the right call in exercising restraint, but by working with the Natural Resources Commission to enact this emergency order, we created a regulatory mechanism to reinforce a more conservative approach.”

The DNR apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause hunters, landowners or license agents. However, this action was taken prior to the time that license sales traditionally increase sharply just prior to the opening of firearm season. The DNR feels the change was warranted in order to acknowledge the heavy deer losses that have occurred in some areas.

Donzie
11-10-2012, 11:29 AM
WTF? No reported or confirmed cases in my DMU and they limit doe tags.

oldmann1967
11-11-2012, 07:48 AM
WTF? No reported or confirmed cases in my DMU and they limit doe tags.
I find it weird as well. The Thumb counties a a long way from EHD areas.