PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used a Stair Walking dolly?

adawg
11-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Curious who has used a stair walking dolly? I need to go down the stairs with a 700# safe. How hard of labor is it? I see a place in Royal oak has a dolly that will accomodate 1300#, so I would go that route if it makes sense and can be done with a couple guys.

TangoDown3727
11-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Sounds like a scary undertaking to me. Good luck to you!

adawg
11-26-2012, 01:18 PM
That's why the stair walking dolly is so attractive to me. I've done it a few times the old fashioned way (appliance dolly and grunting) and I promised myself never again.

Shyster
11-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Call Able Safe in Warren and have it moved professionally. Best $300 I ever spent.

costanza
11-26-2012, 02:15 PM
That's why the stair walking dolly is so attractive to me. I've done it a few times the old fashioned way (appliance dolly and grunting) and I promised myself never again.
Adawg:
Try Nicon77 here on MGO. He does it for a living. Did my 600 pounder with ease, and for a good price too...
regards,
Costanza

bad86ta
11-26-2012, 02:55 PM
I wasn't able to find a place locally that had one to rent. You will most likley have to call a safe shop or know someone who has one. That being said the starir walking dolly is the way to go, I moved my liberty up a flight of stairs with an appliance dolly and four guys. Ill never do it again.

7.62 Nato
11-26-2012, 03:03 PM
They work great but are especially handy when going up stairs. Many safe doors can be lifted off the hinges. That gives you two lighter, more managable loads to move.

juicemon
11-26-2012, 09:52 PM
I used to help a guy with a stair climber deliver safes . IIRC, he thought anything over 600 pounds was to heavy for a flight of stairs. We never had a catastrophic problem but I remember steps cracking underneath us. Just something to consider.

JohnJak
11-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Time to seek help from the professionals and be done with it.

XDM 40 cal
11-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Making a delivery of somthing like this can be done a few ways, the dolly you are asking about is great for moving Lg Refers, Safe going down stairs you can,BUT dont do it by your self...:tsk:

Let the Safe moving company do it...IMO...

partdeux
11-27-2012, 06:23 PM
2nd on nikon77, most excellent service

adawg
11-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all the info folks. Nikon77 is going ot help me out. Appreciate the advice!!

JediJJJ
11-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Does anyone have contact info for nikon77? Can't seem to find that ID in the Members List.

Fast Glass
11-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Looks like your going a different route, but I used the stair walking dolly to move my 800# safe.
The thing works good. Went up onto my porch and into the house, then down a flight of stairs into the basement. My brother in law and a friend from work helped.

adawg
12-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Does anyone have contact info for nikon77? Can't seem to find that ID in the Members List.

He spells it a little different here. You can find him here: Nicon_77 (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/member.php?u=22100). When I tried to PM him it was full, but he always replied to emails in minutes. His email is in his profile.

Sean (Nikon) and a friend came over and moved my safe today. They made the job look extremely easy and fast. I say "made it look" because had I attempted it, the task would not have looked anything near that simple.

He is a good guy who did a great job.

justbehindit
12-01-2012, 09:27 PM
He spells it a little different here. You can find him here: Nicon_77 (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/member.php?u=22100). When I tried to PM him it was full, but he always replied to emails in minutes. His email is in his profile.

Sean (Nikon) and a friend came over and moved my safe today. They made the job look extremely easy and fast. I say "made it look" because had I attempted it, the task would not have looked anything near that simple.

He is a good guy who did a great job.

My install must have been right after yours. They swung by my house before dinner and put my safe in the basement like it was child's play. Great investment for me and I didn't have to worry about putting the safe through the basement wall or run somebody over in the process. Sean and his partner had the safe out of the garage and into the basement in something like 15 minutes. I highly recommend these guys. :cheers: