PDA

View Full Version : Following rules at Range

customrace45acp
12-01-2012, 06:34 AM
Our club is relatively small; so most of the time, when I shoot I am alone.

One morning I am on the rifle range. Our club opened the gates to the public just before deer season for hunters to sight in. Each one of the bays has a SO. (I am a SO also but there for fun not to oversee the event. Although not on duty, I always observe my surroundings.)

Since I was the only one on the 100yd range, I would shoot and then walk down to look at my targets (no spotting scope yet). On the third trip back to the line, I notice two guys handling their guns and ammunition at two tables. The on-duty SO had his back to the line and was talking to someone. I planted my hand on my CC weapon (which they could see), was heading for the tree line and gave the men, with rifles, loud and firm commands of what they needed to do.

I don't care if I embarrass people for my own or other's safety. I don't care if my language is offensive. If you have a gun pointed at me, expect the same in return! If people don't listen and abide to rules at a gun club, others can seriously injured or die.

Friends or not, don't be afraid to speak out if something is not right at the range. We all need to follow gun safety rules.

Since that incident, if I stop at the range and gates are open to the public, I won't shoot - I will assist as SO.

Be safe!

TAC
12-01-2012, 06:42 AM
"I planted my hand on my CC weapon (which they could see)"

What was the purpose of doing that?

.40 Cal
12-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Yikes... Not cool. :spank:

A lot of knuckleheads out there.. stay safe.

customrace45acp
12-01-2012, 07:20 AM

I don't care if I embarrass people for my own or other's safety. I don't care if my language is offensive. If you have a gun pointed at me, expect the same in return! If people don't listen and abide to rules at a gun club, others can seriously injured or die.

At the time, the rifle was pointed upward. If either would have pointed at me, mine would have come out, quickly.

My command was to place the rifles on the rack on the side of the shooting benches. By this time the other SO was giving them the same command and assisting the person closest to him. The other did the same.

Gray Man
12-01-2012, 08:24 AM

One morning I am on the rifle range. Our club opened the gates to the public just before deer season for hunters to sight in. Each one of the bays has a SO. (I am a SO also but there for fun not to oversee the event. Although not on duty, I always observe my surroundings.)

Since I was the only one on the 100yd range, I would shoot and then walk down to look at my targets (no spotting scope yet). On the third trip back to the line, I notice two guys handling their guns and ammunition at two tables. The on-duty SO had his back to the line and was talking to someone. I planted my hand on my CC weapon (which they could see), was heading for the tree line and gave the men, with rifles, loud and firm commands of what they needed to do.

Friends or not, don't be afraid to speak out if something is not right at the range. We all need to follow gun safety rules.

Since that incident, if I stop at the range and gates are open to the public, I won't shoot - I will assist as SO.

Be safe!

Two things:

#1 - You need to buy a spotting scope.

#2 - If you don't have one, your club needs a visible flag or other large marker that indicates a cease fire/no gun handling command that you mechanically flip up for all to see.

I understand that you are an SO and all, but your hand on a pistol is no match for a rifle. When I walk down range at our club, I have a rifle with me. IMO, everyone is an SO and it doesn't take an "on duty" hat, badge or roster entry to empower someone to stand up and say "that is unsafe".

I've run into my fair share of RSO's, SO's and RO's who are d-bags and unsafe themselves. So the title doesn't impress me.

Good luck at your club and stay safe.

customrace45acp
12-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Two things:

#1 - You need to buy a spotting scope.

#2 - If you don't have one, your club needs a visible flag or other large marker that indicates a cease fire/no gun handling command that you mechanically flip up for all to see.

I like the idea of #2. I'll make that suggestion. Does your club have to two, green for fire and red for cease fire?

Shyster
12-01-2012, 09:23 AM
I planted my hand on my CC weapon (which they could see), was heading for the tree line and gave the men, with rifles, loud and firm commands of what they needed to do.

Be safe!

Your actions are WAY out of line. You are threatening people with deadly force for being negligent. Where exactly did you get your RSO training?

who dat
12-01-2012, 09:55 AM
I like the idea of #2. I'll make that suggestion. Does your club have to two, green for fire and red for cease fire?
One of mine has a red for cease fire. The other has a system of flashing yellow lights all along the firing line.

Two flags are a bad idea. Reasons to me would be color blindness and the other just confusion.

Leader
12-01-2012, 10:01 AM

Be safe!

My question is if you felt that threatened, why didn't you just shoot them?
As you said, someone *COULD* have been KILLED.
It sounds to me that it would have been justified in your mind.

Also ... Doesn't concealed mean concealed?

TangoDown3727
12-01-2012, 10:09 AM

:popcorn: Sounds like he was prepared to return fire at those armed assailants who had come to the range that day, must be a tough place... :confused:

customrace45acp
12-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Color code of awareness:

White - Awareness off

Yellow - Aware of surroundings (anyone carry should be in this state.)

Orange - You are in danger! (Maybe this is where I was.)

Red - Conflict (Not in Red - no point in killing anyone.)

Idiot gun handlers on the line and I am being criticized. Probably because they're not here to discuss their actions/faults.

I pray that I never have to use any of my guns to harm another person. But if I feel threatened, my hand will be near or on my gun - ready for the next course of action, period.

TangoDown3727
12-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Your actions are WAY out of line. You are threatening people with deadly force for being negligent. Where exactly did you get your RSO training?

^^^This +1^^^ I was wondering the same about the RSO qualifications. I'm sure glad our RSO's aren't armed where I shoot. I'd hate to catch a bullet for accidently reaching over the yellow line to put my targets on my bench or something!:doh:

CyborgWarrior
12-01-2012, 10:36 AM
What if you are at your assigned lane, and someone down range turns, and places their hand on their gun, appears to be preparing to draw and fire.

Hmmmm.

This thread is full of win

mjanko
12-01-2012, 10:47 AM
So it is ok for RSO's to shoot unsafe visitors to your range ???? And RO's at your range stand around with heads firmly in there ***** while firearms are handled with members down range ???? And there are no audible or visual alarms for members while down range ???? I would suggest a new range if this is what I am understanding from your post ????? . Sounds VERY unsafe to me .

dan0583
12-01-2012, 12:36 PM
You where on a rifle range not on the street, and you seriously considered pulling your side arm on these men? While i agree fully that they should have been following range rules, and firearm safety in general, putting your hand on your sidearm was a bad idea, and way out of line. As far as I'm concerned you created more of a problem than a solution. Your sidearm is to be pulled only in defense of your life. These men obviously weren't being very smart, and could have possibly hurt someone, and there is no excuse for that but, I can tell you this, if someone put their hand on their sidearm and started yelling at me at the range, the outcome would have been far different.

bagz013
12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Charlie sure is everywhere these days......

Sticks
12-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Unless the 100 yard range is separated from the other portions of the range by a safe partition, YOU had no business going down range to check targets until a cease fire was called.

You put yourself in danger for not following the rules of no one down range unless a cease fire was called and obeyed to by everyone.

kkanalos
12-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah that...:nono:

Roundballer
12-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Unless the 100 yard range is separated from the other portions of the range by a safe partition, YOU had no business going down range to check targets until a cease fire was called.

You put yourself in danger for not following the rules of no one down range unless a cease fire was called and obeyed to by everyone.
I can't agree with how he handled it.....BUT

He was the only one there when he walked down range, who was he going to "CALL" the cease fire with?

sittingbull
12-03-2012, 10:38 PM
I think it was more like this
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWCcUPGNIGGG8_461Nw5e6iiCk8qLgi n27NngchO5q_OTleWKK9Q
[

Jr.BowmanMI
12-04-2012, 11:15 AM
I have experienced, and read about NRA CC instructors stating, "If you point a gun at me, expect the same." or "If you shoot me, expect two more from me."
They were not talking about defensive situations, just range "rules".

STUDENTS in need of PROPER instruction from instructors they were paying.

I am looking for a CC class for some family members "x-mas" presents. I will not send them to the class I went too because I don't want a shoot-out if the instructor interprets an activity "THREATENING" where they will belittle a student just to swell their peanut brain.

CrimDoc
12-04-2012, 11:40 AM

+1

Let's think about how this situation COULD EASILY have escalated.

You have two guys, with loaded hunting rifles, at a firing station. All of a sudden, some other fellow (the OP), who is NOT a range officer, puts his hand on his sidearm, and (by his own admission) begins shouting "offensive language" at them.

While I'm not making excuses for the two hunters if they were indeed handling their firearms negligently, I wouldn't have blamed them if their response would have have been: "Holy poop, who's this psycho? And why is he reaching for his firearm while shouting obscenities at us?!?" Seems their next most logical course of action would have been to duck behind their station, and point their rifles at the OP.

So then what? What would the OP do? Pull his pistol? Shoot at the two hunters?

Good luck Pal ... you are in the open with a sidearm, facing two men behind cover, who are armed with rifles: in this scenario, I see better than 10:1 odds that you would have ended up dead; and IF the two hunters who shot you were put on trial for your death, based on the evidence you presented, I would have voted to acquit them. It seems to me that you were the aggressor.

An assertive, "Gentlemen! Please take your hands off your firearms while someone is on the range!" followed by a "talking to" by the RSO was absolutely called for in this situation. If the RSO had ejected them for a safety violation I would have been fine with that too.

But shouting "offensive language" at them, while reaching for his sidearm, was not only uncalled for, it was stupid and could easily have gotten the OP killed.

MrMark
12-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Reflecting on the situation, do you know what lay beyond your potential targets? Was that part of your awareness in the moment?

who dat
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Pretty sure he's been insulted enough and has left us.

MrMark
12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Pretty sure he's been insulted enough and has left us.