PDA

View Full Version : Small game

Mr Mudd
12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
What do you hunt, where! and with what firearm/bow? I've had some success with squirrels but not other critters. Also gotten yelled at for hunting on state land.

DV8r
12-03-2012, 11:54 AM
I use a Ruger Mark I (Standard) for rabbits. Carry the 20 ga. too but use it only on long running shots.

Go here to find legal to hunt State land. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_14793_51784-200319--,00.html

Print it and take a copy with you, enlighten those who "yell" at you.

Daniels
12-03-2012, 12:13 PM
I used to small game hunt back when I was a kid. I used a Winchester 121 single shot bolt action .22L. I should of used a 410 to be honest. We'd hunt squirrel and rabbit but I honestly can't remember ever getting much when we'd do our long weekends. How you can be in the woods all day and not see one squirrel and then come back to the city and see 100 in your front yard I'll never figure out. LOL

Brownbr84
12-03-2012, 07:24 PM
I used to small game hunt back when I was a kid. I used a Winchester 121 single shot bolt action .22L. I should of used a 410 to be honest. We'd hunt squirrel and rabbit but I honestly can't remember ever getting much when we'd do our long weekends. How you can be in the woods all day and not see one squirrel and then come back to the city and see 100 in your front yard I'll never figure out. LOL

Yeah I always found that amazing. Im actually getting ready to adopt small game hunting just because im on this "wilderness survival" kick. I was thinking of going the shotgun route. (segway into newbie question) I was looking at getting a break action 12 gauge for my camp gun. What type of shot would be best for squirrels and rabbit? I also plan on carrying a .22 revolver. Thoughts?

woody-99
12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
I use a Ruger 10/22 for shooting squirrel. I haven't hunted rabbit in forever. I just picked up a Savage MKII bolt action .22 that I plan on sniping some squirrels with this year.

toad
12-04-2012, 09:27 AM
I use a 22, less waste, and you dont have to pick shot out of you teeth. I am going to use my 32 cal cap an ball rifle next year, should be fun.

c10seth
12-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I don't hunt, but I'd like to learn eventually. I'd like to finish my AR and give that a shot.

c10seth

PaulB84
12-05-2012, 07:06 AM
been hunting rabbits and squirrel with my bow since I got a bow a couple years ago. Regular field points. If you can broadside a critter that size at 20 yards, a deer will be easy. (well, the accuracy part anyway...)

Leader
12-05-2012, 07:45 AM
In the interest of actually getting game, I would normally recommend a shotgun.
The Savage 24 might be worth looking at for your stated usage.
Remember, bigger isn't always better or necessary.

Looking around, I did find this.

Crossfire MK-1, It's a .223 Rifle/12Ga Shotgun combo.
Not what I would use but interesting.

who dat
12-05-2012, 09:01 AM
What do you hunt, where! and with what firearm/bow? I've had some success with squirrels but not other critters. Also gotten yelled at for hunting on state land.Hunter harassment is a crime.

From the DNR:

Hunter Harrassment Overview

Hunters in Michigan have the right to enjoy their sport free from unreasonable and deliberate interference from those opposed to hunting as a legitimate use of public land and other natural resources.

Michigan law prohibits individuals from obstructing or interfering with the lawful taking of animals. The Department of Natural Resources supports hunting as a legitimate form of recreation and as a useful tool in the management of the wildlife resource. Michigan conservation officers are committed to protecting hunters from the intentional disruption of the hunting experience.

Individuals, whose hunting is being obstructed, should promptly report the violation to the DNR toll free complaint line at 1-800-292-7800, a local conservation officer, or the nearest DNR office facility.

Hunter harassment is a misdemeanor offense. Law enforcement officers may issue a citation for violations which take place in their presence, or may arrest with a warrant obtained on information provided by the affected hunter. Acting in cooperation with each other, the hunter and the conservation officer can be an effective team in ensuring the full protection of Michigan's hunters.

In order for an enforcement effort to be effective, the hunter should be prepared, pay attention to details, contact a law enforcement officer and most important, be willing to take the issue to court and provide credible testimony in any court proceedings.

Hunters should note the following points; who, what, where, when, and how when reporting any physical or other deliberate hunter anti-hunter confrontation. The hunter should not under any circumstances become involved in a physical confrontation with any individual. Hunters being harassed should inform the harasser of their feelings and request the harassment to stop.

The burden of proof in any criminal prosecution is on the accuser. To successfully prosecute any person for harassment of another, it must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the person intentionally or knowingly committed the violation.

Musta Demoni
12-06-2012, 06:14 PM
In the interest of actually getting game, I would normally recommend a shotgun.

Wow, thank you. Anybody who wants to actually get some game and is just getting into it should pick up a bare bones Remington 870 20 gauge and a few boxes of low brass. When it comes to rabbits or partridge, I don't even think about using anything besides my 20 guage. Pheasants and bigger more robust birds such as water fowl and/or turkey, I'd go 12 gauge.

.410 is fine too, honestly, but you can get a used Rem 870 pump on pretty much any corner and oftern for under $200. That'd be my first choice.

Jackam
12-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Wow, thank you. Anybody who wants to actually get some game and is just getting into it should pick up a bare bones Remington 870 20 gauge and a few boxes of low brass.
Why low brass?

PaulB84
12-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Why low brass?

Ok, I'll bite. Rabbits, squirrel and most upland game birds in MI (excluding pheasant) are USUALLY going to be shot at very close distances (say under 30 yards) and USUALLY on the move. As always, anything is possible, but a novice hunter trying to gain confidence (as well as meat) would be well served by cheap, low recoil high-count shells (#8 or #7.5 trap loads?) Tuning the load/choke/gun is way more important than a few hundred extra FPS and less pellets.

Of course you can run your Black Cloud or Uber Special Platinum Pheasant whatevers at $1/round, but the OP sounded like he was just getting started.

At the end of the day, #4's can kill a squirrel and #9's can kill a goose. All about knowing your gun.

Simple, effective and cheap=win

Leader
12-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Ok, I'll bite. Rabbits, squirrel and most upland game birds in MI (excluding pheasant) are USUALLY going to be shot at very close distances (say under 30 yards) and USUALLY on the move. As always, anything is possible, but a novice hunter trying to gain confidence (as well as meat) would be well served by cheap, low recoil high-count shells (#8 or #7.5 trap loads?) Tuning the load/choke/gun is way more important than a few hundred extra FPS and less pellets.

Of course you can run your Black Cloud or Uber Special Platinum Pheasant whatevers at $1/round, but the OP sounded like he was just getting started.

At the end of the day, #4's can kill a squirrel and #9's can kill a goose. All about knowing your gun.

Simple, effective and cheap=win

Hunt with whatever you think is best but #6 shot is about the smallest I would use for game I intended to eat. That is normally considered the small game load rather then #7.5's for "clay" pigeons.

PaulB84
12-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Hunt with whatever you think is best but #6 shot is about the smallest I would use for game I intended to eat. That is normally considered the small game load rather then #7.5's for "clay" pigeons.

True enough, and like I said in a previous post, I use a bow. or a .22 if I'm gonna cheat. :assasin: (obviously this is for rabbits/squirrel) Haven't been bird hunting it too long....

Roundballer
12-09-2012, 12:08 PM
:yeahthat:
I don't hunt birds, so I won't make any comment on what makes a clean kill on them.
For tree rats, #6 minimum! Since rabbit is also on the list, I have #4 that gets used for both. If you stop and think about it, the velocity of a single pellet from a round of shot is pretty consistent (within a range). To have the energy to make any penetration, the pellet needs to have mass. When you use a shotgun with shot, you don't have 1 oz @ x velocity hitting the target. You have ONE pellet @ x velocity times the number of Pellets on target. If you have a very tight choke, you might have as much as 10% on target, but how many of those are in the kill zone? GO BIG OR STAY HOME. You want clean kills, not wounded animals.

JimA
12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I agree. I use #6 shot for most small critters and #7 1/2 for grouse or targets.

Musta Demoni
12-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Why low brass?

Well honestly, I've killed so many rabbits with just cheap low brass rounds and know it works, it's my recommendation for someone just getting into small game and/or is on a budget. The other answers provided by others here are solid/sound as well, but I just found that it kills rabbits and grouse just like the more expensive stuff.

Plus, I somehow have 2-3 boxes of the stuff in my safe, so I'll be using it probably all winter until it's gone. Once it's gone, I will buy some of the good high brass #4 shot for rabbits, but until then, I'm blasting away with the low brass. :bigun2:

Jackam
12-09-2012, 09:30 PM
All 2-3/4" AA Winchester shells, target and Super X game loads, have the same construction, base wad and case volume, even though there are differences in the brass base height.

The height of the brass does not correlate to more powder in the shotshell or less kick.

Low brass often correlates to lower prices because of less material to manufacture.