PDA

View Full Version : Aces Shotgun rail System (mossberg)

..DETROIT..
12-03-2012, 11:21 AM
I recently picked up the Black Aces Shotgun Rail System for a Mossberg 590. The jury is still out, but here's some possibly useful info.

The rail is built well, no cosmetic issues to speak of.

Assembly would have been quick and simple had my shotgun NOT had a bayonet lug. The rail will NOT fit a shotgun with a lug without modification to the lug or the rail. The lug is a bit too wide for the rail to fit over, so I would've had to file the lug width down.

I took a slightly different approach. I choose to machine about half the lower section of the rail. This not only gave me lug clearance, but my bayonet fits. I'll put up some pics as soon as I can.

Okay, so now I have a rail along the entire length of my shotgun. Time for some sights. Uh oh, what kind? Pretty much any rail mounted sights will work, so that was easy. The only problem is that without a cheek rest, your sights are too high and you don't really get that stability with your face hoovering above the stock. No problem, all you gotta do is buy a new stock with an adjustable rest. Ugh!

On a side note, the rail still allows you to see the bead sight, IF you don't add a rest. I bought the ATI Talon adjustable stock to "fix" my problem. A very nice stock by the way.

The rail does make the front of your gun much wider and heavier, also my molle scabbard no longer fits:(

So far I like it. It takes a few rounds to get used to using it like a rifle, but definitely more accurate. It cost alot more than I anticipated to get it "running", but it looks sweet.