PDA

View Full Version : SIG Sauer P290 9mm Pistol - (REVIEW)

RayMich
12-03-2012, 05:09 PM
The SIG Sauer P290 is an excellent slim/pocket 9mm pistol. It is actually smaller than the highly sought S&W M&P Shield. It has a DAO trigger, has no external safety, is extremely reliable, easy to conceal, good shooting, very accurate, comes with a 6-round and a 8-round magazines and has double strike capability. Double strike capability makes it an excellent gun to practice dry-fire using SNAP Caps, because you don't have to rack the slide after every dry-fire shot.

For those so inclined, you can also get an integral laser for it. I personally don't like a laser on a handgun, but some people do.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p290.aspx

SIG recently lowered the MSRP to $570.00 (Was $758.00)

I recently saw one at my local Gander Mountain store for $549.99 which is less than what I paid.

Here is a video of the SIG P290 in action.
CI4Bi1sLzis

I finally had a chance to make a quick trip to the range and shoot the P290.

I fired 85 rounds with ZERO problems related to the pistol or the ammo. I did have a couple of no-feed instances that were cause by me not fully seating the mag. I found that I need to hit the mag with the heel of my hand to make sure it is fully seated. Other than that, it ran without any problem.

I shot Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ, Federal Maroon Box 115gr FMJ, Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP and Hornady TAP 124gr JHP with no ammo related problems whatsoever.

As expected, the heavier weight significantly softens the recoil compared to other much lighter pistols in the market.

I only had time to shoot it at 5 yards distance before the sun started to go down and the range closed. I shot it using the Weaver stance with the RH as dominant hand as well as with the LH as the dominant hand. Also shot it single handed with the RH and with the LH and the accuracy at that distance was excellent.

The standard SIGLITEŽ Night Sights are a nice plus. this is the first gun I own with night sights and I am very pleased with them.

I found that the mag floor plate with the small pinky extension that come on the short 6-round mags does not fit me well, it only catches about 1/3 of my pinky finger and feels weird. So I installed the flush floor plate instead which leaves the pinky finger free to wrap up under the grip and that worked much better. This is the way I shoot the XD9sc so it works well for me. The 8-round extended mags allow a full grip and are very comfortable.

Overall, I am very impressed with this pistol.

ButchSundance
12-23-2012, 08:40 AM
I have fired 500 rds with mine, no issues at all!

Paid $469 with two mags and laser from kygunco

The heavy trigger does take some getting used to tho...

stare-decisis
01-18-2013, 10:17 AM
I've heard they can be a bear to tear down to clean. Do you find that to be true?

Eurotour
01-20-2013, 10:36 PM
The heavy trigger pull is a bear to get used to, but I've seen videos of how to easily lighten it. When i first bought mine (used) it was eating up the front of my Hornady CDs. They would get caught between the 2 sections of the feed ramps. Sent it back to Sig and they replaced the mag release. Not sure how that affected it, but it's been great since. Love my P290.

ButchSundance
02-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Stare

They do take a little more effort to field strip than a glock but practice makes perfect...

Butch