PDA

View Full Version : Firearms handling: Removal from case

METL
12-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I was at the range the other day, and I opened my case... there were several people about on both sides. Of course, with people beside me, as soon as I open the case, it's pointed at someone... then I have to handle it and swing it towards down range. I announced for people to step back, and I didn't muzzle anyone, but I was just wanting to take extra steps to make this procedure safer.

I don't think I did anything too bad, but I wanted to learn how to approach this type of situation in general.

Same thing with the pistol range, technically when you open the case, the firearm is pointed at the people on either side of you. Now I suppose with a pistol case, it's easier to open it with the firearm pointing down range, however at this range with my rifle, the bench was facing "east/west" with the range being "north"... though there were tables pointing "north/south"... they were just full of everyone's stuff.

Should I already know the orientation of my rifles in the case and open them only on the tables with the muzzle end pointing down range?

I realize I sort of did a faux paus (be it small) and I want to learn better ways to address this. OF course, -I- know they were unloaded, cleared, and bolts open, but no one else did, and I wouldn't expect them to or even to be cool with it. But people have probably gotten dead from smaller, so I figure I better get it figured out.

Comments? Thoughts?

dougwg
12-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Open gun case.
See which way the muzzle is pointing.
Close case.
Position gun case so that muzzle is pointing down range.
Open case.
Take gun out.

METL
12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Open gun case.
Close case.
Open case.
Take gun out.

That was fast. Thanks. :)

welshman
12-11-2012, 11:59 AM
I would say, "know the orientation of the gun in the case". Another point is, as you are walking into the range with a gun in its case and in a bag it is going to be pointed at someone sometime.

nrich1979
12-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Open gun case.
Close case.
Open case.
Take gun out.

+1

Leader
12-11-2012, 01:20 PM
I was at the range the other day, and I opened my case... there were several people about on both sides. Of course, with people beside me, as soon as I open the case, it's pointed at someone... then I have to handle it and swing it towards down range. I announced for people to step back, and I didn't muzzle anyone, but I was just wanting to take extra steps to make this procedure safer.

I don't think I did anything too bad, but I wanted to learn how to approach this type of situation in general.

Same thing with the pistol range, technically when you open the case, the firearm is pointed at the people on either side of you. Now I suppose with a pistol case, it's easier to open it with the firearm pointing down range, however at this range with my rifle, the bench was facing "east/west" with the range being "north"... though there were tables pointing "north/south"... they were just full of everyone's stuff.

Should I already know the orientation of my rifles in the case and open them only on the tables with the muzzle end pointing down range?

I realize I sort of did a faux paus (be it small) and I want to learn better ways to address this. OF course, -I- know they were unloaded, cleared, and bolts open, but no one else did, and I wouldn't expect them to or even to be cool with it. But people have probably gotten dead from smaller, so I figure I better get it figured out.

Comments? Thoughts?

You carried the gun into the range, around people?
That's as bad as carrying in a horizontal shoulder holster....
Do you have ANY idea how many people you swept?
Remind me next time you are going someplace so I can be someplace else.

mac3982
12-11-2012, 05:30 PM
take case to line, uncase if in a booth, keep muzzle down range or pointed in safe direction, move case outta the way

noob5,000,000
12-11-2012, 11:43 PM
take case to line, uncase if in a booth, keep muzzle down range or pointed in safe direction, move case outta the way
+1

METL
12-12-2012, 09:07 AM

OMG you're right!!!! I didn't even realize how many people I muzzled as I was driving!! It must have been in the thousands!!! :twak:

Dabears!
12-12-2012, 09:58 AM
metl i have a lil piece of masking tape on the muzzle end of gun cases that arent easily identifiable(tac bag that narrows down gun rug etc).

JDG
12-12-2012, 05:39 PM

Joke right?
If not, you are one paranoid sob! LOL!

I'm super scared going into gun store with all them pistols pointing at me through the display cases!! Makes me poop my pants!:razz:

Leader
12-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Joke right?
If not, you are one paranoid sob! LOL!

I'm super scared going into gun store with all them pistols pointing at me through the display cases!! Makes me poop my pants!:razz:

Joke??? How can you think that?

The best way would be to drop off the parts of your gun as you retrieve them then assemble them at the range.
You Do keep your guns disassembled with the parts locked in cases in vaults in different cities don't you?
And the ammo in another state.

TangoDown3727
12-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Open gun case.
Close case.
Open case.
Take gun out.

:yeahthat: oh and 7. Don't overcomplicate things. :whistle:

TangoDown3727
12-12-2012, 07:03 PM

The best way would be to drop off the parts of your gun as you retrieve them then assemble them at the range.
You Do keep your guns disassembled with the parts locked in cases in vaults in different cities don't you?

:lolup:

TangoDown3727
12-12-2012, 07:07 PM
OMG you're right!!!! I didn't even realize how many people I muzzled as I was driving!! It must have been in the thousands!!! :twak:

Those poor unsuspecting fools! :lollol:

JDG
12-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Haaa!:mrgreen: