PDA

View Full Version : Recurve shooters

Mr Mudd
12-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Whatcha got? Do you hunt or just target shoot? I just picked up my first bow last month (PSE Razorback 30lb) and arrow rest (NAP Quicktune 800) and am loving it so far :rocketla: Draw is a bit light though, what does everyone recommend for deer?

JimA
12-17-2012, 03:59 PM
I've been shooting and hunting with stickbows for many years. Started with a bear recurve in the 60's and have owned many longbows and recurves since. It requires a bit of practice and commitment to learn to shoot a stickbow well, but it is pretty rewarding to take game with one.
I would recommend at least a 40 pound draw weight for deer and then keep your shots close to ensure good penetration.
I have taken a lot of deer and other critters with a stickbow and will tell you that most shots have been within 20 yards. It is not a long range game.
Have fun with your new hobby.

24ever
12-17-2012, 05:49 PM
First recommendation is as JimA says; keep your shots “within 20 yards”. If you want more distance, move up in draw weight and practice, practice, practice. Practice guides you on how close, or far, you need to be in order to make a certain and humane kill.

While I’ve not bow hunted for deer in years, bow-hunting deer beats rifle season hands down. Far fewer people (at least used to be), warmer weather, lighter loads, more challenge.

Now as far as the rest of the archery scene goes, compounds offer more speed, power, and accuracy when compared to recurves or long bows. It really breaks down to what you like. Me, I resisted the compound’s advantages and enjoyed the “spin-on-your-little-finger” weight of my short American hunter recurve. Shoot what you like and enjoy.

Kimberguy1371
12-18-2012, 12:03 AM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/chrisspice/IMAG0052_zps0011c1d1.jpg

Got this a few months ago. got a lot of work and practice to do before I even think of attempting to take an animal with it.

sabbatoy
12-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Way more satisfaction taking a deer, squirrel or bunny with a longbow or recurve. I have had just about every bow out there...40-45 lb bow will take anything up to a deer with a nice sharp broadhead and correctly spined arrow....Best of luck..