PDA

View Full Version : Hello

neoinarien
07-14-2007, 12:46 AM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I just moved here from Wisconsin to continue my education in Ann Arbor.

I already have a handful of questions, if you all don't mind.

In or around Ann Arbor...

1. Good range? (200yd+ rifle, trap, flexible pistol range with IPSC and IDPA... not all mandatory, but the more the merrier)
2. Good store/shop? (wide selection for pistols, C&R, lower prices on ammo, etc)
3. Good barber?

Also, is there anything important that I should know? Wisconsin is a weird firearm state... liberal in some regards (no CCW), conservative in others (limited open carry, no licensing...), and so on. Do I need to license either my rifles, pistols or shotguns? Are there certain places that have tighter laws where I should take special note? I plan on establishing my residency (6 months) before applying for CCW. I have already passed a course on it and an out of state permit for non-MI is already in the works. Same course counts as the "safety" course in MI?

I'll be doing my own research as well, but ANY help would be great.

Thanks!

~Tom

Note: this post also appears in the "general" section, as the questions seem better suited for there.

Roger Roney
07-14-2007, 04:12 AM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I just moved here from Wisconsin to continue my education in Ann Arbor.....:welcome: Tom :multi:

Can't help much on your questions, I'm far East side Detroit area, and my barber is in another country 45 miles SE of here. :lol: (Trivia joke/question, do you know where I'm talking about? :lol:)

Others will explain better, but handguns have to be registered via a so-called "safety inspection."

Keep reading here, you will learn a lot more. Don't be afraid to ask more questions, you'll find a great bunch of friends to help you!
Are there certain places that have tighter laws where I should take special note?MI passed a preemption law years ago, so gun laws are equal across the state except for three college campuses, one of which is yours, so be aware. You didn't ask, but knife laws do vary, which you will find in other threads.

Good to see you are doing your own research too.

Roger

neoinarien
07-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Roger,

Thanks for the rapid reply!

I'm guessing, on the barber bit, Windsor? Been there once while passing through, nice area.

Yeah, I'm actually a graduate student not at u. of mich. So that makes my life simpler in this case.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm guessing there's an administration fee of $50 inspection per handgun? Do I go to any local police station for this?

~Tom

Roger Roney
07-15-2007, 01:40 PM
....I'm guessing, on the barber bit, Windsor? ...Close. :lol: Actually in Leamington, about 35 miles SE of Windsor. Very beautiful area, Point Pelee Park, a great natural area, is a few miles further. According to one Cdn magazine, Leamington is the best place in Canada to live. I'm part owner of this lighthouse; http://www.hhpl.on.ca/GreatLakes/GLImages/details.asp?ID=1095&number=6
As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm guessing there's an administration fee of $50 inspection per handgun? Do I go to any local police station for this?....I see there is already an answer there. Adding to it, be aware that some places are still trying to charge for them. If that happens, don't pay & come back here for help.

Roger

Maranatha
07-15-2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.migunowners.org/index.php?page=resources

Check this out from our front page, lots of helpful links

And welcome to Michigan and MGO

fotophocus
07-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I just moved here from Wisconsin to continue my education in Ann Arbor.

I already have a handful of questions, if you all don't mind.

In or around Ann Arbor...

1. Good range? (200yd+ rifle, trap, flexible pistol range with IPSC and IDPA... not all mandatory, but the more the merrier)
2. Good store/shop? (wide selection for pistols, C&R, lower prices on ammo, etc)
3. Good barber?

Also, is there anything important that I should know? Wisconsin is a weird firearm state... liberal in some regards (no CCW), conservative in others (limited open carry, no licensing...), and so on. Do I need to license either my rifles, pistols or shotguns? Are there certain places that have tighter laws where I should take special note? I plan on establishing my residency (6 months) before applying for CCW. I have already passed a course on it and an out of state permit for non-MI is already in the works. Same course counts as the "safety" course in MI?

I'll be doing my own research as well, but ANY help would be great.

Thanks!

~Tom

Note: this post also appears in the "general" section, as the questions seem better suited for there.

Is it coincidence that as you became more educated, you decided to move from Wisconsin to Michigan?:scholar: Don't mind me, that comes from me living in the UP for 6 years, dealing with obnoxious Packer fans that don't know what state they live in :twak:

Welcome to the board and the state, sir! :woohoo1: