PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Repair

Guy de Loimbard
07-15-2007, 08:24 PM
What kind of equipment does it take to take apart an AR-15 upper so I can tighten the barrel nut up? My barrel has redeveloped the wobble which I originally described on the THR forums http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=232843. I sent it in once for repair under the warranty but that cost $90 to send it next day, and it seems that the problem parts were not replaced but just tightened, so I'd like to avoid that and just tighten it up myself. That way I can still shoot straight until I have the money to get a new upper half.

Woud a brass punch set and an AR multitool work?

Tallbear
07-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Look here for the firearm you have...........

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

What kind of equipment does it take to take apart an AR-15 upper so I can tighten the barrel nut up? My barrel has redeveloped the wobble which I originally described on the THR forums http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=232843&highlight=barrel+wobble (http://here). I sent it in once for repair under the warranty but that cost $90 to send it next day, and it seems that the problem parts were not replaced but just tightened, so I'd like to avoid that and just tighten it up myself. That way I can still shoot straight until I have the money to get a new upper half.

Woud a brass punch set and an AR multitool work?

karcent
07-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Your link sends me to mapquest.

Knimrod
07-16-2007, 02:22 PM
I fixed his link..

Roger Roney
07-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Your link sends me to mapquest.:lol: It sends... err sent me to a Netscape "search results for here" page. Looks like he tried to use the word "here" as the link. edit;
I fixed his link..

Roger

RSF
07-16-2007, 03:59 PM
get with the OIC at reading pd... Lance he is an ar nut and can steer you right he works today .

Guy de Loimbard
07-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry about the link. I tried setting it up so that the sentence ended "THR forums here." and clicking the word "here" would take you to it. I guess it's a good thing I'm not a CS major anymore eh.

I looked at the Colt AR-15 manuals on that page and they don't tell me anything I don't already know. Just simple disassembly instructions for cleaning. What I'm looking for is instructions to remove the front sight from the barrel so I can get the gas tube out of the way in order to tighten the barrel nut back up.

karcent
07-16-2007, 06:49 PM
You don't need to remove the front sight to remove the gas tube. The guy that recommended removing the FSB is offering advice without any knowledge of what he speaks. Ignore him.

There is a roll pin that goes through the front sight base that holds the gas tube in place.
Just use an 1/8" punch to knock it out, push the gas tube to the rear to free it from the FSB (harder than it sounds) and then pull it out toward the muzzle.
You will need a special wrench to tighten your barrel.

I would really recommend that you have someone that knows his way around an AR (like a real gunsmith or an AR armorer) take care of this for you and give that rifle a thorough going over. You may have a bigger problem than you think.

danno123
07-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Once the barrel nut is tightened, it can't turn and loosen because the gas tube prevents the barrel nut from turning. With the handguards off, does the barrel nut seem loose when you try to gently wiggle it by hand?

Guy de Loimbard
07-18-2007, 02:55 PM
With the handguards off, the barrel nut wiggles as far as the gas tube will let it. I think that it wasn't properly tightened before the gas tube was put through, or something's out of spec where the barrel and receiver mate up. Either way I don't think it will be hard to determine once I get the thing apart.

Roger Roney
07-19-2007, 02:41 AM
...I don't think it will be hard to determine once I get the thing apart.Are you not listening to Kurt???
....I would really recommend that you have someone that knows his way around an AR (like a real gunsmith or an AR armorer) take care of this for you and give that rifle a thorough going over. You may have a bigger problem than you think.I highly respect his opinions, at least on guns, equip't, and Gar's burgers! :lol: :lol: You should too!

The gun seems fairly new, since you said it was "adjusted" under warranty, but the problem happened again, why? (You don't provide a time frame of purchase, first problem/fix, and current. Weeks, months, or years?) You are too new here to judge your experience, but it seems you need more before attempting DIY repairs on what may be a defect or warranty issue. Please reconsider what Kurt said!

Roger

Sigster
07-20-2007, 07:33 PM
You don't need to remove the front sight to remove the gas tube. The guy that recommended removing the FSB is offering advice without any knowledge of what he speaks. Ignore him.

There is a roll pin that goes through the front sight base that holds the gas tube in place.
Just use an 1/8" punch to knock it out, push the gas tube to the rear to free it from the FSB (harder than it sounds) and then pull it out toward the muzzle.
You will need a special wrench to tighten your barrel.

I would really recommend that you have someone that knows his way around an AR (like a real gunsmith or an AR armorer) take care of this for you and give that rifle a thorough going over. You may have a bigger problem than you think.

If memory serves me correctly, you have a son that has been building black rifles. seems like a good way for him to earn some cash!

karcent
07-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Yeah, but he seems to prefer the old fashioned way,....... "Dad, I need some money!"