PDA

View Full Version : Ice Reports

Musta Demoni
12-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Okay, so it looks like in some parts of the state (the U.P. at least) that some of us may soon get to do some ice fishing... finally. I know I'd appreciate it, and perhaps others would too, if members here could periodically update this thread with some ice reports at various areas throughout the state... at least until everyone's up and running.

I'm heading up to Keweenaw Bay tomorrow. I know the big lake isn't frozen, but I'm hoping to get a crack at the small inland lakes. I'll update here when I can.

Magnum Man
12-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Sounds good.

Barrettone
12-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Lakes in Iron county in the UP have 6"-8" of good ice at this time.

Mgers21
12-22-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm up in the Mears area and nothing around here even has a ice cube in it :x

Musta Demoni
12-24-2012, 05:11 PM
I fished this morning on a large inland lake in Baraga County on 4" of hard black ice. I'm gonna hit a different one tomorrow.

Keweenaw Bay has no ice whatsoever, but Huron Bay is starting to ice over pretty good. However, it's definitely not safe to walk on yet.

Temps here have been 22-23 highs and 17-18 lows.

Smokepole
12-24-2012, 07:46 PM
My lake up here just skinned over this afternoon, so we're on our way.

Too Tall
12-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Newaygo county - 60 acre lake - iced over yesterday, didn't melt today. Looks like it might stick around.......finally.

Ferd
12-28-2012, 09:32 PM
A friend went out today on one of the bayous in Spring Lake. 5" of solid ice.

Musta Demoni
12-28-2012, 11:49 PM
This is all good news. And it looks like the freeze is on for the whole of Mighigan per the latest forecasts. I'm hoping to be on ice here in SE Michigan by next weekend... hopfully I haven't jinxed the lot of us by saying this. :doh:

mikethepike
12-29-2012, 10:43 AM
This is all good news. And it looks like the freeze is on for the whole of Mighigan per the latest forecasts. I'm hoping to be on ice here in SE Michigan by next weekend... hopfully I haven't jinxed the lot of us by saying this. :doh:

The extended forecast calls for no temps w, th and friday at night. Looks like operation bluegill is on for next week

thongg
12-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Chassell Bay has over 6 inches and people are driving 4 wheelers and placing ice shanties some good catches of crappie and pike stop in the bait shop in Chassel for bait and updated conditions only about 2 inches of snow

Hockey9019
12-31-2012, 01:51 AM
Anyone hit any lakes up in Oakland?

Barrettone
12-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Going up to Lake Chicagoan up by Crystal Falls to hook some perch...Got the wheeler fueled, the auger and shanty packed up, and will hopefully be eating some tasty stripers by the weekend!!!

mikethepike
01-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Kensington is fishable by the West fishing pier. Saw a few people on it yesterday along with a few shantys. Thats all i have to report

MichiganShootist
01-01-2013, 10:31 AM
In central Michigan the ice is dangerously thin but there are still guys out there.

Last Monday Sanford lake (near Midland) was 90% open water and by Thursday afternoon there were fishermen out there.

You really gotta love eating pan fish to risk your life.

Musta Demoni
01-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Kensington is fishable by the West fishing pier. Saw a few people on it yesterday along with a few shantys. Thats all i have to report

I saw that too. I was going to go out today and, if nothing else, check the ice at a few lakes I frequent, but I'm going to hold off until next weekend.

mikethepike
01-01-2013, 10:53 AM
check the ice at a few lakes I frequent, but I'm going to hold off until next weekend.

Oh ya, its on for next wknd. I picked up 250 wax worms for 6.99...all my line have been changed, hooks sharpened and the auger screamed to life on the 2nd pull :cheers: --I will have the 1st gill report Friday!!!!

chevyman
01-01-2013, 06:29 PM
A 63 year old man Died today when he went thru the ice on a Oakland County Lake ! Be Real Careful Out There ! :boat: :boat: :boat:

Smokepole
01-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Get yourself a pair of these!
...And, carry them with you, in your front pocket.

Ice Picks (http://www.cabelas.com/ice-fishing-accessories-polar-ice-picks.shtml)

Musta Demoni
01-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Get yourself a pair of these!
...And, carry them with you, in your front pocket.

Ice Picks (http://www.cabelas.com/ice-fishing-accessories-polar-ice-picks.shtml)

I also recommend looking into pants/bibs and coats by Mustang Survival. If you're not aware of their gear, much of what they make is also personal flotation device rated clothing. They have a variety of gear from full immersion suits to what looks like regular winter outerwear. I have a pair of the bibs that are also rated as PFDs. I'm going to get a jacket soon.

Here (http://www.mustangsurvival.com/?country=25) is a link to their site. It's expensive, but it can save your life. You can also find deals on this gear on eBay. I strongly encourage anyone who's an avid icefisherman or snowmobiler who crosses water to invest in this stuff.

Also take your spud with you on early ice and test it every 2-3 steps.

Purpledragon
01-01-2013, 10:12 PM
I think me and my bro-in-law are gonna try and go this weekend, granted we find some safe ice. We were thinking about some of the canals off lake st. Clair, possible at metro beach for those of u familiar with area. I read this morning on an ice fishing forum there have been guys in some of the canals for the last few days or so, hopefully by the weekend we can find some safe ice and get our fill of some perch!!! I'll update here after the weekend. Be safe out there!!!!

Roundballer
01-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Carrying the picks in a front pocket is useless. They are designed to be outside your clothing, worn around your neck.

If you fall through the ice, the first thing you must try to do is not become completely submerged. If you get under the ice, your chance of survival plummets. As previously noted, flotation type of clothing is good for the early ice.

If you manage to stay in the hole without going under, the first thing to do is slowly (relatively) work your way back up onto the ice. You want to spread your weight out as you climb up. Pushing down on the edge to pull yourself up could just keep breaking the ice. Using the picks allows you to pull yourself up, transferring part of the load along the surface of the ice instead of a straight vertical load.

Time is of essence, work cautiously in a hurry. Time in the water increases chances of hypothermia, then you will not be able to save yourself.

Have fun out there, but please be careful.

1173jared
01-02-2013, 02:00 AM
Get a canoe, put all your gear in it. pull it out on the ice, and sit in it. Problem solved. By the way I have a very light ,wide, flat bottom canoe for trade. its listed in "anything else for sale". let me know:scratch:

Smokepole
01-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Carrying the picks in a front pocket is useless. They are designed to be outside your clothing, worn around your neck.

That's exactly what I assumed everybody knew.
...The lanyard goes around your neck, under the collar of your jacket, and cinched snugly.The picks I have store themselves safely by "plugging into each other" so that the protruding points aren't exposed.
...When they're in your front jacket pocket over your chest, near your shoulder, they are quickly accessible.

Roundballer
01-02-2013, 01:55 PM
None of my coats have breast pockets, so I didn't even think along those lines. My coats' pockets can't be trusted to secure anything. They will hold my gloves when I need to take them off, but if I start to walk around there is a good chance that I would lose them.

The ice picks that I use to have were really "old school". The cord ran through the sleeves of the coat and across the back, inside the coat. The picks dangled below your hand from the wrist of the coat sleeve. The picks also had a cover on the point, much like a crutch tip, only not as heavy. When you had to use them, the point would punch right through the cover.

I try not to assume things of anybody. My experience is limited to a little informal training. And, helping to get ice boats and their pilots out of the water. I have never gone in myself.

10ft, flat bottom "John boat" and a couple of extension ladders and a coil of heavy rope. First "go-to" equipment for recovering/rescuing ice boaters.

Vwteddy
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Maybe this weekend...

Buzz_on
01-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Anyone been on any ice around Ionia county?

Hockey9019
01-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Going out to Vanderbilt on the Bay if anyone is interested

ozzie
01-04-2013, 08:16 AM
they are fishing the narrows on long lake reading twp have 3 in ice on canal to hemlock lake

langenc
01-04-2013, 01:35 PM
The Twin Lakes here are covered with some ice??a AND on top of that at least a foot of snow.

It will be some time for the ice is 'good'. It looks like there have been snowmobiles on the ice--BUT only 10-20 feet off shore. I cant tell 100% from here-across the street from the lake.

All that snow is heavy pushing the ice down and a big insulation factor..
Sorry for the bad news.

GMAN12
01-05-2013, 06:24 PM
I was at Wyandotte Hospital today and there was 2 guys ice fishing in the boat docks right next to the open water.

Smokepole
01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
A lot more shanties up here this year, than last.
...They're all clustered fairly close together, close to the mouth of the Torch River. Ice is pretty thin there, but they all claim it's the best place to fish.

Barrettone
01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Went to a derby with the kids on Lake Vermilliac in Covington. Ice was 6-8" in most places. Shallow lake though...only 4-6' deep. Winning perch was 12"...a buddy of mine got it. Great time!!!

Musta Demoni
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Went to a derby with the kids on Lake Vermilliac in Covington. Ice was 6-8" in most places. Shallow lake though...only 4-6' deep. Winning perch was 12"...a buddy of mine got it. Great time!!!

I've always wanted to hit the derby at Vermilliac, but I never have the time off in the first week of January. I grew up in L'Anse, but never ice fished when I lived in the U.P. :shock: Now that I'm a troll, it's my fav!

Anywho, I got my troll arse out down here today... it was a bit slow, but it was a nice day of fishing and got a few gills for the freezer.

Thanks to YouTube for the fillet lesson too!

Barrettone
01-05-2013, 10:45 PM
I've always wanted to hit the derby at Vermilliac, but I never have the time off in the first week of January. I grew up in L'Anse, but never ice fished when I lived in the U.P. :shock: Now that I'm a troll, it's my fav!

Anywho, I got my troll arse out down here today... it was a bit slow, but it was a nice day of fishing and got a few gills for the freezer.

Thanks to YouTube for the fillet lesson too!

It's a great bunch of guys that put it on. They've been doing it for 20 years!!! The kids all win something, and they give away over $5,000 in prizes!!! Can't wait for next years event. My cottage is only 30 minutes south in Amasa. It's a great area to be an outdoorsman in. We can ATV, snowmobile, shoot, hunt, fish and camp...great for the kids to get away from that damn X-box and just be kids.

jacuzzibusguy
01-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Northern lapeer county. The pond is safe to walk on. Ill try to chop a hole tomorrow and measure thickness.

Hockey9019
01-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Went out to Vanderbilt Park yesterday. Had 4-8 inches a mile and a half out. 5-6 was the average. Sat in 5-6 feet of water as well. Saw some lookers, but that was it.

It was hot in the morning, but died off. Some quads went through just west of us (way too early to have them out but there was at least 1000 folks out there and a few hundred quads)

Today, was much different. Ice shifted and off the ice we went.

http://i.imgur.com/nRRwz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eHOA6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KAzEb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TooWF.jpg

Very little snow if any on the ice made it nothing but slip and sliding

nameless
01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Went out on Woodard lake in Ionia county 3" of ice 4 hours later caught one 10" perch, between 7 guys :(. 7 inches of ice on my families ponds in Clinton county.

sse
01-21-2013, 04:45 PM
The extended forecast calls for no temps w, th and friday at night. Looks like operation bluegill is on for next week
I know you'll be taking advantage of this cold weather, but just a word of caution: take into consideration the weight of a half ton of panfish sitting on the ice next to you. Catching too many can be extremely dangerous...LOL

mikethepike
01-21-2013, 05:28 PM
I know you'll be taking advantage of this cold weather, but just a word of caution: take into consideration the weight of a half ton of panfish sitting on the ice next to you. Catching too many can be extremely dangerous...LOL

+1

Just A Girl
01-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Looks like operation bluegill is on for next week

I want to participate in Operation Bluegill!!:bounce2: :bounce2:
And to the person learning to clean fish via youtube: teach me how to ice fish, I'll clean your fish for a day.

mikeb32
01-21-2013, 06:19 PM
I think my neighbor a town or two over should have "Operation Eat em Up" after "Operation Bluegill" !!!!

Smokepole
01-21-2013, 06:27 PM
I'll volunteer for "operation eat um up."
...Ice up here is now 9 to 12 inches thick.

Redm2
01-21-2013, 08:58 PM
With this cold weather, we should have some good ice this weekend in many places... Vanderbilt Park was good for me early on but when everyone realized there was good ice, the fishing took a turn south.

Does anyone know what the ice conditions are like on Lake St. Clair?

sse
01-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Operation 'fry 'em up'...

upgunowner
01-22-2013, 11:02 AM

You all will probably get it. here in marquette county (da'UP) currently it is -11:01 am est. -3.2 according to my digital thermometer,with a -30 degree wind chill.it was -9 last night.arctic chill to soak to the lower midwest,I imagine MN. is much colder,couple of days probably all of mich should be ice fishin. if your shooting outside shoot your firearms w/o lube or use a light shot of moly, oil will be like syrup, stay warm all! supposed to be over by sun or mon I hope.
I will not go outside in this weather at all 'cept for mail or let dog out,she goes out,does her things and scrambles back in,when a lab does that its freakin cold.......(from the cold,cold UP using frozen digits).

:crazy: cold!!.

MichiganShootist
01-22-2013, 11:56 AM
The larger Clare county lakes (Eight Point, Crooked, Lake George) all had 6 - 8 inches of ice BEFORE this frigid front arrived. We'll be around a foot think by the weekend.

langenc
01-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Should be plenty of ice around here.

Some insulating snow but not that much--10" or so I suspect.