PDA

View Full Version : Time to start shooting in earnest

Done Deal
07-21-2007, 01:01 PM
When does everybody start getting dialed in for October 1st?

I usually wait until after I get done killing geese in the early season before I even think twice about picking up my arrow flinger.

But, posting this thread reminds me...I gotta see how many sharp sticks I even have left.

Tallbear
07-21-2007, 05:47 PM

I usually wait until after I get done killing geese in the early season before I even think twice about picking up my arrow flinger.

But, posting this thread reminds me...I gotta see how many sharp sticks I even have left.

Should have been doing that all summer.:tsk:

Done Deal
07-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Should have been doing that all summer.:tsk:

Thats what people used to tell me. With my old bow, I would bet money that I could pick it up after a year and deliver a very lethal arrow at 20 yards any day of the week.

Groups are great but for killing deer, most days, only the first shot counts.

I am not an archer but, I can show you a mess of antlers out in the back building and a good portion were taken with a sharp stick.

I practice, I become proficient or, I don't climb a tree. I just don't mess with it all summer or every night come September 1st because I don't have time or the desire to make time.

A couple of years ago, I switched bows...had to practice more...killed bucks...and switched to another bow that was more forgiving and will be all set after maybe two weeks of flinging arrows.

The biggest reason I shoot is to rebuild the muscles that have forgotten what they are supposed to do. I shoot less than 70lbs and I try and keep my shots under 20 yards.

My sights are like pistol sights so sight alignment and sight picture are pretty routine.

So...yell at me if ya want....I will be in a tree on Monday October 1st and will be quite confident that if a shooter walks up, he won't live to tell about it.

Only half the deal is being an archer...the other half is being a proficient killer.
I have lotsa practice in the latter....:thup:

Phelptwan
07-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I started in April...

Done Deal
07-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Ya know, it cracks me up. Most bow hunters recognize the need to practice to become/remain proficient but...many of those same guys don't shoot much once season starts. Why is that?

But, compared to firearms hunters, bow hunters seem to practice way more. Heck, archers prolly shoot more shots in one practice session than many gun hunters fire all year.

I still say though...proficiency is as much about tactics as it is about accuracy. I have known many a hunter that was skilled at the range but had issues bringing home the bacon. On the other hand, I am one of the guys that can prolly hold my own on paper or clay but...have no desire to mess with non-reactive targets once I know the tool of choice is shooting where it is supposed to be. Then, I have to work on my part of the delivery system.

Garbo
07-23-2007, 08:41 AM
I typically will start pulling the gear out about now and toss a few down range. Then every couple weeks do the same and get a little heavier as it gets closer to opening day.

Now i have a freind that will do just what you said DD. We'll get up north and he'll pull his arrow out for the first time and put three smack in the middle, put his bow away and say I'm good. Only know of him missing once in the field.

Done Deal
07-24-2007, 05:37 PM
With a bow, I only concern my self with kill zone accuracy once I know that my bow is on. Cuz then, if the bow is on...it is all up to me.

Besides, it is too darned hot to be shooting much with the same jacket I wear when I am in a tree stand. Sure, I can practice in a t shirt and I do but that is just initially to get my aging muscles reoriented to shooting.

But, I am pretty set on only shooting about 20 yards and, I would venture a guess that most misses (or worse yet, bad hits) are either poor shot selection or letting nerves get in the way of self diciplined shots.

I don't care how good ya are (and I certainly am not a great shot by any stretch of the imagination) but, nobody around here even doubts my ability with a sharp stick or a rifle. That is where experience takes over and experience says, the older I get, the less thrilled I am with poor shot selection. I am getting old and lazy...

Like I said, after I get a break from killin geese, I will get the bow out. I am kinda lucky, I can practice from either the ground or a tree stand, right in the back yard--even from inside if it is raining and at night under lights. I have absolutely no excuse for heading afield unprepared.

Rolex Dr.
07-24-2007, 10:11 PM
i used to shoot 2-4 times a week, but life is busy i try to shoot 2-3 per month in off season

from aug - jan i shoot once a week

i pull my box 20-40 times per week during the summer, to keep muscles working

once late aug comes i pull it up to 50 per nite and the last pull i hold till i cannot hold any longer (i have been doing this since i was a kid) basically because i was soo small and i wanted to shoot 50 lbs when i turned 12 to be like the big guys

it worked i shoot 70+ and have since late junior high (plus at 70 lbs and 300 fps i need 1 pin to 40yards)

be for i get flamed for 40 yards i practice to 60 and only will shoot deer at 40 or less

but as a college student i used to shoot lifesavers candy as practice at 20 and 30 yards consistantly

last year i never shot my bow until opening day (i had a bad year with free time) 1st arrow was low on a big doe
2nd arrow was dead on, putting my 17th deer under my belt

i dont condone not practicing but like mentioned above once she was dialed in if i did my job the bow did its

JD

Done Deal
07-25-2007, 08:12 AM
My son and his friends practice to 60, I can barely see that far...

Anyway, I am sure that you found that once you shoot that far, shooting at 20 or 30 seems like spitting distance.

I won't shoot at anything that I am not pretty sure that I can kill (not just hit) so, long distance shooting is just practice for closer shots anyway.

Speaking of closer shots...those are the ones that I practice, as much for form as accuracy. Those radical angle shots from the air can present issues for the archer because in my opinion, too many guys don't bend at the waist to create the angle, they try and do it with their arm and that is what causes problems with bad hits.

UTPD#5
07-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Hey you guys know that firearms surpassed two sticks and string over a hundred years ago...RIGHT? :)

My son shoots his bow off and on all year long, he is pretty darn good. I usually brush up around September first...plan to hunt...than forget all about it when work calls.

My hats off to you guys who bow hunt regularly...it is a sport in and of itself.

Done Deal
07-25-2007, 10:15 AM
45 days of relative quiet (less duck hunting of course) compared to 15 days of the orange army?

I will take the peace and quiet of a tree stand any day. Besides, firearm deer hunting in central Michigan is not much different than sniping anyway.

As much as I love my 7 mag....it takes most of the heart thumping out of the equation because of its track record around here. The neighbors know what its report means...:woohoo1:

sullyxlh
07-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Never really stopped,
I shoot year round,archery is as much a sport to me as bow hunting and I love to shoot,spent all week practicing 60's and 70's and the 2 second shot