PDA

View Full Version : 12-28-12 - Gun shot at Gibraltor Trade Center

sinda67
12-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Hmmm,

One again. Since I can't post a link yet, here is a cut a past of the story. I just heard this on the radio...but could be old new here already. if so, sorry.
Website is Mlive.

------MOUNT CLEMENS, MI — Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said a man shot himself in the leg while trying to enter a gun and knife show at the Gibraltar Trade Center in Mount Clemens about 12:30 p.m. Friday.
Further details about the victim were not released, but he is a registered concealed weapon license holder, the sheriff said.

"He’s going to be fine, but he was transported to the hospital," Wickersham said.

The monthly show, scheduled this Friday through Sunday, features weapons sales by certified dealers and a weekend concealed pistol license training course.

The event takes place in the 336,000-square-foot Gibraltar Trade Center at 237 N. River Road, Mount Clemens.

"There are no loaded weapons allowed in the show," the sheriff said, and the vicitm was passing through a clearance area where gun holders are required to empty their weapons.

"In the process of clearing his weapon," the gun fired, Wickersham said.

The event tightened its security and carrying restrictions after an incident in June of 2011 when a customer was inspecting a gun for sale and it accidentally fired. The seller then attempted to inspect the pistol and it fired again, injuring three people, including a child. (related story here)

Tim K. (he declined to provide his full last name), 47, of Harrison Township attended the gun show Friday a half hour after it opened and said it was "busier than ever."

He heard a gunshot but didn't see what happened. He walked by the area of the shooting later and saw "an older man with longer hair" being treated.

Inside, Tim said he spoke to a Macomb County sheriff's deputy who said the man shot himself in the thigh with a .22 caliber Magnum and the bullet entered his thigh and traveled to his shin.

Upon entry, Tim K. said attendees are asked if they are carrying a weapon, though there is no metal detector or pat-down if someone were to lie.

Carriers then reveal their weapons, remove any bullets and aim them into a barrel to ensure the chamber is cleared.

Once approved, a string is fastened to the gun to show it has been emptied of bullets.

Tim K. believes the process of people emptying their guns is "accident prone" and creates a greater danger.

camaro1776
12-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Not good for us. Sorry he hurt him self but perhaps better training is in order. I was raised to keep your finger OFF the trigger and out of the trigger guard unless you intend on shooting, as I am sure he wasn't.

durus5995
12-28-2012, 09:49 PM
sinda67 the reason you can not post a link is because you do not have 10 posts yet. I believe that is in place to protect against spammers. There already is another thread on this topic somewhere.

RICH S202
01-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Always been unimpressed with the "unloading" bay there. ie a barrel of sand :tsk:

Veteran
01-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Sounds like he had a North American Arms mini revolver in the half notch carry position. You can't pull the pin and remove the cylinder in that position. So whoever tried to unload it probably had their finger on the trigger and released the hammer from it's half notch safe position and the gun fired. Stupid. Then the guy said later that he sold it to a pawn shop, they can't buy handguns. Idiot.

Veteran
01-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Sounds like he had a North American Arms mini revolver in the half notch carry position. You can't pull the pin and remove the cylinder in that position. So whoever tried to unload it probably had their finger on the trigger and released the hammer from it's half notch safe position and the gun fired. Stupid. Then the guy said later that he sold it to a pawn shop, they can't buy handguns. Idiot.

THEJUICE9269
02-12-2013, 04:03 AM
I'm surprised there was no Safety Officer present and that one is not required at an event like this. I'm also surprised the insurer of the buidling would not require it for an event of this nature.