PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck....

karcent
08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
.....to all of you who are shooting this week at Camp Perry!
Bring home the medals!

appliancebrad
08-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks Kurt.

Jordan and I both qualified Expert at Rifle SAFS. I'm headed back on Thursday night.

Maranatha
08-01-2007, 08:07 PM
we're sure going to try, I just don't get enough practice.

ltdave
08-01-2007, 08:36 PM
qualified Expert at Rifle SAFS.

does that mean you earned points?

i dont recall any qualifications in SAFS...

if i hadnt screwed the pooch in my offhand i would have made the cut, but alas that miss at 6oclock didnt do me anygood...

congrats!

david

Mike Kelly
08-02-2007, 01:15 AM
.....to all of you who are shooting this week at Camp Perry!
Bring home the medals!

And the photographs.

Roger Roney
08-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Good luck... err,... is it luck or skill? :lol: Anyway, good whatever to y'all! :lol:

If I make it to the cabin this weekend, I'll be listening for the sound of freedom & fun! Believe it or not, under the right conditions, we can hear you in Leamington, 35+ miles North, across the lake.

Roger

fbuckner
08-02-2007, 02:47 AM
Careful Rog the island lake haters might read that. LOL

Maranatha
08-02-2007, 04:01 AM
I've often wondered what the bottom of Lake Erie looks like after a 100 years of people shooting at Camp Perry,

there's got to be quite a pile of bullets out there

appliancebrad
08-02-2007, 11:34 AM
does that mean you earned points?

i dont recall any qualifications in SAFS...

if i hadnt screwed the pooch in my offhand i would have made the cut, but alas that miss at 6oclock didnt do me anygood...

congrats!

david

For the Saturday portion, they only scored your shots for record as Hit (in the black, 9 or 10) or Miss (any other hit on the target or outright miss). If you got 80% in the black, you qualified Expert. My coach didn't say anything about scoring, in fact he said we weren't scoring anything. Since I keep a record book, I knew what I shot. Jordan was 2 firing points down and his coach scored his rounds.

In the EIC match, I heard that last years cut off was at 356 for leg points. I missed the cut if it was anywhere near that.

As an aside, I knew they were short on USAFMU personal this year but this was a cluster in comparison to previous years. They only re-centered targets once for 5 relays. They pissed and bitched at the newbies who didn't know how to work the pits. The coaching was very spotty, some were very good, others just were there. My shooting coach asked me if i was familiar with the AR and then just handed me my ammo and sat back.

Maranatha
08-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Brad I've heard that from previous years, Which is why I've never went. I've heard the coached don't want to be there and they let you know it.

ltdave
08-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Expert...OHhh i see what youre saying. i must have made Expert as well as i was the only on one my point to get all 25 hits...

SFC Benson was great. he didnt push anything on the shooters but he did help with the zeroing and pointers thru the sighter portion of the EIC...

i finished with 344-4, obviously not enough to make the cut at #61....

david

Maranatha
08-05-2007, 07:08 AM
I had a good time at the CMP GAMES, I had a chance to medal in the Garand match until the off hand stage and the 30 MPH winds. My Big body was acting like a huge Sail and I just couldn't stay Stable enough to hit the black.

But considering I don't use the special coats and gloves and special pants and those funky hats with the Blinders I was very happy with my scoring until the off hand.

we'll there's always next year

appliancebrad
08-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I was in the same spot Gary, right on track to medal until the offhand. The wind was a steady 18 mph at the targets when we headed out to the pits at 07:30. Gust were hitting 22 mph. I was sure we were going to have our target come crashing down at any second.

My 130# was getting blasted every time I got on the center of the target. I had 3 misses in offhand just because I couldn't keep the rifle steady from the wind. I just bought a shooting coat and I think that probably kept me from more misses.

It was a great time, I had fun in the Springfield and Garand matches. Next year, Jordan and I are planning on shooting in some of the NRA matches as well.

Maranatha
08-05-2007, 12:45 PM
well one of the Range officers said the flags looks like a 30 mph wind,

still was fun, I just need to practice more.

Kimber45
08-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Sorry I had to miss it all. It is claimed that a good shooting coat will add 10 points to your score. That is a lot in a low round count match like the CMP games.

Maranatha
08-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Brad, did you hear about the guy they caught stealing on vendors row, and I guess someone had a Carbine come up missing on Thursday.

I guess I need to find away to lock my rifles in my gun cart and then lock the wheels.

Batman
08-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Here's how I did:

EIC - No legs. Had a horrible gun with a crappy trigger and a rear sight that would move right to left about 1/8th inch when my glasses touched it. I didn't know until after I shot (and shot poorly).

Presidents - Not anywhere near the 100 but I did better than last year, so some improvement.

NTI - Again No Legs but I did improve over my '06 scores. Very long way to go to get into contention for Legs.

Hurst doubles - First time shooting. Out of 254 teams we finished 112th or so. Not great but not too bad.

Carbine Match - Silver medal! Got a bronze last year.

Vintage Military bolt Match - Gold Medal!! My Sweed M98 is a tac driver!

1903 match - Nothing. I grabbed the worng gun that had the "C" front sight so I was screwed. I did barrow a gun but I had problems with the sights.

Garand - No medal. Wind, for me, was difficult to shoot in plus my first round in my 8 round clip didn't fire during rapids. This made me rush my rapid so that I could reload to get the last shot off before time expired. I got it off but in rushing I shot too many rounds out into the 8 ring. Checked the round and sure enough the primer was struck. Not all Greek ammo is good.

Very long week. spent lots on money on Vendor row so I'm all set for next year. My big surprise was getting the gold in the vintage match. I only shot it because I needed to be there for the springfield match anyway so what the hell.

I didn't see all the fuss and bother that they were saying was going to happen at Perry this year. I really didn't notice that the crowds were any bigger. Seemed like a normal year to me! Did get a chance to look at the Garands (M1D's and NM) that CMP was selling. Nothing special to me and I thought that the prices were way too much. Now they are saying the 118,000 more guns have come in from Greese. We'll see but for now I'm tapped out.

Can't wait till next year!:cheers:

karcent
08-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Congratulations on the Gold and Silver!

appliancebrad
08-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Brad, did you hear about the guy they caught stealing on vendors row, and I guess someone had a Carbine come up missing on Thursday.

I guess I need to find away to lock my rifles in my gun cart and then lock the wheels.

I saw the posters about the Carbine but didn't hear any more about it. I did hear first hand from someone who was in the building when the MP's came for the guy on vendors row. Human nature never changes. I've often wondered about leaving my stuff out. My Garand is in the low 200,000 serial range and I'm always worried that someone will take it. With rifle, optics, shooting box, mat, coat and cart I've probably got $2,200 worth of stuff sitting out on the ready line when I'm in the pits.

prettyinpink
08-09-2007, 07:53 PM
I always worried about that too, and none of the stuff was mine, I shared someone else's stuff. Unfortunately, the cars are so far away from the firing line you can't just throw everything in the car before you go to the pits. But, then, that would just make it easier for the criminal to break into the cars.