PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond Gun Safes

Buzz_on
01-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Any one have or seen these safes? Look pretty nice with good prices for 75 minutes at 1200 degrees. Just can't find a ton of info on them. Also anyone have any other brands that are a good bang for the buck. With insurance prices going up on the guns looking for other options. Thanks

Shooter308
01-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I've checked out one at my local sporting goods store. I liked the set up inside, and for size and weight, plus fire protection seemed like a reasonable deal. It was a larger model, 72" wide.

kotaguchi
01-05-2013, 07:31 PM
I have seen a model at my local Jay's Sporting Goods Store here in Gaylord.

The clerk told me that the safe is made overseas in China.

Not built to strict tolerances that the safes made in the U.S.

I also heard that fire protection is about the same for most safes but tests of some safes made in China for fire protection been done while the safes were laid out flat on the door side facing the ground.LOL

He also said that the made in China safes does not have the multi level layer of material/protection to make the safes resistant from being broken in.

solarguy
01-05-2013, 09:26 PM
virtually all gun safes under a thousand bucks are cheapo sheet metal "composite" construction. Two big prybars and a hammer will open most of them in under two minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M

If you know how thick the steel is in the door and the body, you know how secure your safe is, more or less.

If you're burglar doesn't know about cheap gun safes, the fact that it looks impressive might deter them.

If possible, bolt the safe to two walls (in the corner)

HTH,

troy