PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Storage Advice!

DTrain
01-03-2013, 02:43 PM
So I have currently have an 8 gun Stack-on cabinet. I still have some long gun capacity, but I had been using the little shelf at the top of the cabinet for my two pistols which fit nicely. Since getting a couple more pistols, I am out of room on the shelf and and don't have anywhere else to lock up the new comers unless I just "stack" them on top of each other.

I am debating whether or not to just get a real gun safe and be done with it, or just get a smaller safe that would work for the handguns and keep them if a different part of the house. Not putting all your eggs in one basket theory has me thinking about this.

So what say you? If you were going to get a small safe that could hold say 6-10 handguns (thinking future expansion here) what would you get? This isn't for quick access, just secure storage. We have no kids in the house either.

detfireff
01-03-2013, 03:43 PM
I took out that small plastic shelf and added 2 plywood shelves that are the same size as the inside of the cabinet. Very easy and added a ton of room.

DTrain
01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Interesting... what did you use to hold up the shelves?

detfireff
01-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I used the existing holes and put longer bolts thru them and set the wood shelves on the bolts.

Porter
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
http://www.storemoreguns.com/original-handgun-hangers.html

DP425
01-03-2013, 04:40 PM
So I have currently have an 8 gun Stack-on cabinet. I still have some long gun capacity, but I had been using the little shelf at the top of the cabinet for my two pistols which fit nicely. Since getting a couple more pistols, I am out of room on the shelf and and don't have anywhere else to lock up the new comers unless I just "stack" them on top of each other.

I am debating whether or not to just get a real gun safe and be done with it, or just get a smaller safe that would work for the handguns and keep them if a different part of the house. Not putting all your eggs in one basket theory has me thinking about this.

So what say you? If you were going to get a small safe that could hold say 6-10 handguns (thinking future expansion here) what would you get? This isn't for quick access, just secure storage. We have no kids in the house either.

I say best option is to buy a real safe.

Second option would be to pick up a small document safe until you are able to buy a real safe. Then you can use the small safe for it's intended purpose of storing documents.

who dat
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Stack On makes a bolt on small safe that mounts on top of yours.

Big_Jim
01-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Speaking from my own experience...

It took me 25 years of gun ownership before I got a really good safe. I wish I would have bought one at least 15 years ago when I moved into my current house. I am REALLY glad I was finally able to get one and if you spend the money right now you won't regret it. i use it for all kinds of stuff when I leave town or even if I'm home and just not useing some things like electronics.

I've had a "tincan" safe for years, there is no comparison. If you can afford a "real" safe, get one. PS. I dont have any kids in the house anymore, but I still like my safe.

SWMP15
01-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Get a real safe. Those cabinets are not a safe and won't keep anyone out of it.

I bought one and it was the best purchase I made for firearms storage and safety. Make sure when you buy one, you buy one big enough for what you have and some.... I bought mine last year and am totally out of room. I bolted mine to the wall and floor.

Get a Liberty, Cannon, etc. w a good dehumidifier in it. Costco sells Cannon if you have a membership, not sure if Sams Club does or not....

Anty up and get a safe, sir. Those cabinets area joke IMO.

Buzz_on
01-04-2013, 10:42 AM
I agree with getting a safe. I am in the process of this as well. I also think that spreading this out like haveing a second smaller one for a pistol or two is also a great idea. Always nice to have quick acess just in case.

illadvised
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM

Good link, I have never seen those holders before. Some of the before and after pics are pretty good. Talk about maximizing space.

who dat
01-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Good link, I have never seen those holders before. Some of the before and after pics are pretty good. Talk about maximizing space.I've made a few. You can do pretty easily with a little patience and well thought out measurements.