PDA

View Full Version : Outbuilding storage

Aulgur
01-04-2013, 12:56 AM
I know most people store in the home but with my new house this will not work so I am securing the bejesus out of a outbuilding 5 feet off my back door for gun storage. I just can't fit all my rifles in my closet. So far I have the out building differently keyed from the house with the biggest deadbolt I could find there is one window with mirrored glass with steel behind it so it doesn't look like its "over secured" the other door with the motorcycle ramp is 4x4 barred so its only openable from the inside, plenty of lights outside, besides steel framing the door is there anything else that can be cheaply accomplished I can't really afford a high tech security system yet. Just looking for ideas and advice. I live in a small town with hardly any crime but still want to make this building as secure as I can to protect my ever growing collection.

who dat
01-04-2013, 09:55 AM
I know most people store in the home but with my new house this will not work so I am securing the bejesus out of a outbuilding 5 feet off my back door for gun storage. I just can't fit all my rifles in my closet. So far I have the out building differently keyed from the house with the biggest deadbolt I could find there is one window with mirrored glass with steel behind it so it doesn't look like its "over secured" the other door with the motorcycle ramp is 4x4 barred so its only openable from the inside, plenty of lights outside, besides steel framing the door is there anything else that can be cheaply accomplished I can't really afford a high tech security system yet. Just looking for ideas and advice. I live in a small town with hardly any crime but still want to make this building as secure as I can to protect my ever growing collection.
These pins will help keep the door from being kicked in or from the hinge being removed if it's an outside swinging door:

http://www.doorware.com/site/product.cfm?id=159686

ltcnav
01-10-2013, 10:13 AM
IMO,
You will need heat, I would think,. Otherwise, you will get condensation.

Ghost1941
01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
IMO,
You will need heat, I would think,. Otherwise, you will get condensation.

Second that.

As far as security... It seems like you're pretty well set against the normal break in.

Astra
01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
It doesn't really matter what you do. Locks only keep honest people honest. If someone really wants in there, they will find a way. It's not that difficult to cut through the side of the building if they really want in.

IMO, you've taken the necessary precautions to secure your valuables from the occasional wandering eye.

Aulgur
01-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Already heated and I'm gonna get some of those jam pins

10x25mm
01-11-2013, 04:24 PM
If you have a burglar alarm system, you can have your alarm company install wireless sensors for motion and fire in your outbuilding at a very modest cost. You can have your alarm panel programmed so the outbuilding alarms are active when you are in the house. This goes a long way in securing a pole barn, garage, or other remote building without digging a trench for cables.