PDA

View Full Version : Kel Tec p3at

Ibear1992
01-13-2013, 10:57 PM
I just bought a kel tec 380 today that had about 20 down the pipe from the previous owner. The owner (my uncle) said that the 20 or so he shot gave him no issues. Now on to the review.
First off, the I and some of my family members shot 150 winchester white box flat nose fmj's through it flawlessly. The one and ONLY malfunction was when I tried to shoot it with my off hand, which I have never done before with any gun, I limp wristed and it failed to feed. Obviously, that was my fault, not the gun's. When you rack the first round into the chamber from a fresh mag you have to be quick or it won't feed, but I have a feeling that will work itself out with a few more down the pipe.
We we're shooting at about 7 yards and accuracy was pretty good. Any further back and I wouldn't be able to consistantly hit the target. The gun I'm sure is pretty acurate, but between the decent recoil and low profile sights, it's hard to be accurate with it. But this gun is supposed to be a close quarters defense gun and I beleive it definatley does what it's supposed to do.
The finnish isn't great but it doesn't look bad or anything. Its just about what you'd expect from a $260 gun. The mag release isn't easy to accidently depress while shooting unlike some other small guns. I, nor any of the other 4 people that shot it today, never had the mag drop on accident. Also, for those it matters to, the empty mag does drop freely from the gun when you push the mag realease, so there is no "stripping" the mag out involved.
Need less to say, I'm very happy with this gun. I've read reviews on both sides of the fence on this gun and since my uncle had a good price tag on it, I decided to see how it was for my self. Honestly, I'm very glad I did. If this gun continues to be flawless for the next few months, it could very well be my edc when I get my cpl this fall.

white1200c
01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
I remember when they cost $130.00. No slight against the gun, but things have gotten a bit out of hand!

JDG
01-14-2013, 06:07 PM
FFL cost on a parked P3AT was $220ish 4 years ago, $130 would have been a long time ago....

Best shooting of all the KTs I've personally fired, most of them hit 8" low for me at 21', but the 380 hit POI, same as my LCP. Great little guns, if you can get a grip on them!:mrgreen:

Neverquitever
01-14-2013, 08:29 PM
I've had one for a couple years now and it really is quite comfortable to carry in a small pocket holster. I was also surprised just how accurate it is. Point of aim, point of impact. I haven't always seen that with some full sized weapons. Great gun in my opinion.

JPKq
01-26-2013, 06:54 PM
.380 P3AT's were not $130 at least not new. $220 new back in 2004 is more like it.

Veteran
01-27-2013, 11:39 PM
I have some very expensive handguns and some cheap ones. I have two keltec's, P3AT - 2 years and a P-32 - 12 years. Both have been back to the factory and are now reliable shooters. I always have the 32 with 8 Silvertips in it on me. Sometimes the P3AT or PM-9 depending on circumstances. Larger calibers if I'm going into Detroit. I think Keltecs have their place and purpose in self defense. I also have a Olympic Arms K-23 pistol for a SHTF situation. But I love that little P-32 for when you don't really need a gun. Relax, Keltec's are OK. I just wouldn't take one to the range a lot, I don't think they can stand too much shooting.

JasonJ
02-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Ive been eyeballing the P32, P3AT and LCP for some time.. i even made a comparison chart of features and specs, covering 10 points, including price, recoil, power, special features, size, trigger pull, etc...

I think what I really want/need is a P32, but I want to find someone in my local area that has one or all of those guns so that I can test fire them (local range wants a kidney to rent a pistol, and doesnt have all 3.)

I do hear a great many things about the P3AT... mostly that if you can get past the finish quality, its superior to even the LCP (which despite what people think often have their own problems equal to the Kel-Tecs)

Imshootin
02-12-2013, 09:34 AM
.380 P3AT's were not $130 at least not new. $220 new back in 2004 is more like it.

I bought a new one when they first came out. I think mine was around $240.

$130 must have been some kind of super secret, Glock type, military/police discount through Kel-Tec. :biggrin:

TomE
02-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I've found I shoot it better than a LCP, and that the mag release can and will get depressed in pocket carry, leaving the mag partially out.

MP Miller
02-12-2013, 09:58 AM
I love my Keltec.

I got a Crimson Trace laser (that cost as much as the gun) for it and I carry it in a wallet holster in my back pocket.

It's great for when a larger gun may not be appropriate or after the holidays when your pants shrunk and you need that inch the gun took up.

Toxicag
02-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Nice review, I love my Keltec also

tbirdkid
03-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Ive had both guns the 32 and the 380, I prefer the 32 auto more, I didn't like the death grip I had to put on the gun to fire it, if you let up on it it would jam, like a fte or ftf, I had the gen 1 of the 380, the sites suck, its a point and shoot kind of gun. I like the 32 due to the slide locks back on the last shot, the 380 does not, recoil is a lot less and very manageable ammo is cheaper and you can run plus p and get the bullets to run as fast as 380. Ive ran these guns to 4000 rounds without a rebuild or any serious issues, probably the best pocket gun out there for the price and reliability.