PDA

View Full Version : SA XDm-9 3.8 Compact Review

runamuck
01-19-2013, 10:23 AM
I've been in the market for a hi-cap 9mm for a while now for CC in certain circumstances. After a lot of research online, handling different guns at dealers and renting them at the range, I chose to purchase a Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 bi-tone. I paid $559 for the gun and gear kit with free shipping to my ffl from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. First the gear box. Having smaller hands, I wanted the option to change out back straps and it comes with 3 of different contours. It also comes with one 19rd and one 13rd mag. The 19rd mag has 3 fitted extensions that slide onto it (they fit nice and tight) that match the contour of each back strap and extending your grip to full size...how slick is that? The holster is a paddle Fobus type that's adjustable and ok but I'm a southpaw so it doesn't work for me. The double mag holder is nice (also adjustable) except I wish it was also a paddle instead of having to feed it onto my belt but you can conceivably carry 52 rounds with the addition of another 19 rounder. (mags are pricey, around $35) Now that's some firepower. It also comes with a mag loader that works well and you will need it. On to the gun.

The first thing you notice about the XDm is it's aggressive looking and appears a little top heavy and boxy but I personally like a flat-top slide. The bore axis is high and it does feel a little tippy with an empty mag. but as soon as you load it up, it evens right out and feels great. This gun is grippy and won't slip in your hand. I think the safety features are well thought out and were a consideration when I made my decision to buy. The loaded chamber indicator is a small bar on top of the slide that is raised with a round in battery. The firing pin cocked also protrudes from the back of the slide and is easily seen as being ready to fire. I also happen to like the grip safety and it is placed such that your hold on the weapon is high and tight. Don't let anyone tell you that a grip safety is not a safety...it is. That being said, never trust any safety but I'm glad it's there. The ambi mag release is nice and the mags drop free although I've trained myself over the years to use my left index finger to release mags so it doesn't really matter to me. The front and back slide serrations are a nice touch and help prevent hand slippage. The slide lock is not too difficult to release as on some other guns I've handled. It has standard 3 white dot sights adjustable for windage only. The bi-tone feature is a satin nickel type finish on the slide that, to me, is quite handsome. The dust cover has a three position universal type rail for lights and lasers although with a 3.8" bbl be aware that most lights and lasers will protrude beyond the end of the barrel and may pick up some blast staining and wear...this remains to be seen as I have not fired the gun with a light in place and I don't like lasers on handguns.

So...how does it shoot? Well, the first thing I have to talk about is the trigger. A 1911, it is not, but compared to other guns I looked at (Glock, Ruger SRc9, M&P Shield) it's the best of the bunch. Aside from the Glock type safety lever, it's smooth to break, breaks clean and doesn't load much or feel gritty. The best part is reset which is about a 1/4". With less felt recoil than most other 9's and a good trigger, double taps are instinctive and quick. This gun is much more accurate than I am and is a dream to shoot all day long. I only put 200 rds through it but I could have done another 200 quite easily. I hated to put it down. It flew through my hardball ammo without a hitch or glitch but it's too early to tell on reliability and I didn't test any hp ammo but my gut tells me this gun will go bang all the time, every time. The mags are stiff and I could only get 10-12 into the 19 rounder without the mag loader...this may lessen with time.

Conceal-ability. Well, sort of. It's wide and it's heavy but I'm used to carrying a 1911 compact and the weight doesn't bother me. I picked up a Desantis Sof-tuck for #25 bucks and by golly it doesn't feel too bad at 9 O'clock (3 O'clock for you righties). I adjusted the clip for deep carry with a slight cant and it has become very comfortable after about a week of break-in. A word of caution though. Be very careful re-holstering with a soft leather holster.

The 19 round mags will be reserved for range use only as they are difficult to conceal.

Recommendation. If you want an edgy looking gun and a sweet shooter...buy one. I picked up a Pearce grip extension for the 13rd mag. Very worthwhile and made quite a difference. We'll see if it helps my accuracy.

partdeux
01-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Lot of people, including me, have trouble with it shooting low and left. Typically, that's indicative of jerking the trigger. It was recommended on the XD forum to grip this firearm slightly different, essentially putting it deeper in your palm. It made a huge difference for me.

XDM 40 cal
01-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Nice review.... Xdm are great guns, yes some have very small issue..but that any gun..

Xdtalk.com is a great place to chat, show and lean for some of the hardcore SA owners..

Holster, Invest in something like a King tuck,Raven, or Desanit Kydex they hold up better than a soft clip.. It's better for reholsting ...

As you shoot more try moving your left hand forward to lock your wrist. thus giving you a more stable shooting form.

Happy Shooting..

RougeLeader
01-19-2013, 02:12 PM
I have been shooting an XDM 5.25 in a 40 for a few weeks now, and loving it.

I have put about 600 or 700 rounds through it so far(I need to get a count on the empty boxes), with zero FTFs or FTEs. Used both JFP and JHP.

I also had the same issue with low and left. Low, I am not worried about right now. Left was bothering me.

Changing my grip(how I hold it) on the handle has helped a lot; I also plan on changing the back strap. I also, for now, changed how I squeeze the trigger; I put my finger further through the guard, so that I can squeeze better. It also have improved my groups.

Also, when I used the weaver stance, I seemed to shoot more to the left, so you might try a different stance.

I am going to try XMD 40 Cal's suggestion next time I stop at the range.

runamuck
01-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Being a lefty, I was shooting a little low right. Obviously, I was jerking the barrel right on the break. The adjustment I made was with the trigger by using only the first pad on my finger and pulling rather than squeezing. Like most guns, you adjust. Most of my experience has been with 1911's so this takes some getting used to. I also found the sight picture was middle of center dot on the center of the bull. That got me up and the aforementioned trigger work got me center. Now if I can just keep it that way.

pscipio03
01-21-2013, 10:07 PM
I have the XDm 3.8 compact in both 9mm and 45ACP. Love them both and I switch up my carry depending on what mood I'm in that day. I use a CB SuperTuck Deluxe, which fits both perfectly, so I can use the same holster with two different calibers.
As for the low left, somewhere I have a diagram that shows what happens depending on bullet strike. Low left usually results from slapping the trigger. Not so much compensating for recoil, but too quick a trigger pull instead of smooth.
Here's what I have done and it solves the issue perfectly (I was REALLY bad with this on any of my Glocks):
1. Use the Ayoob Wedge. Do a Google search for it. If you don't know who Ayoob is, well, that's sad.
2. Instead of using the meaty portion of your index finger on the trigger, go to the first joint which will cause you to wrap your finger around the trigger more. If you're already shooting that way, try it WITH the meaty portion of your index finger for a change.

Either or both should improve your issue. I know it did mine.

xmanhockey7
01-22-2013, 07:22 PM
I have the XDm compact 40 and I love it. Great for concealed carry and it shoots well. Still prefer my Glock 22 but it's too big for CC.

DamienM
01-26-2013, 03:33 PM
The only thing I don't care for is the mag release.. The screw effect seams to destroy the thumb when shooting all day..

XDM 40 cal
01-26-2013, 06:32 PM
The only thing I don't care for is the mag release.. The screw effect seams to destroy the thumb when shooting all day..

Well you can swap it out...
http://www.pistolgear.com/proddetail.php?prod=PRP-S008-S

achalmers
01-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Lot of people, including me, have trouble with it shooting low and left. Typically, that's indicative of jerking the trigger. It was recommended on the XD forum to grip this firearm slightly different, essentially putting it deeper in your palm. It made a huge difference for me.
Front Site (frontsite.com) also says this. I'm a beginner but I have read on many forums and sites exactly what you're talking about.

achalmers
01-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Great review! I'm also looking at the Springfield XDm 9mm 3.8 compact. I have a question for you. I went to Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore to check out the prices on the XDm. Can you tell me the difference between the SA XDm 9mm 3.8 and the HS XDm 9mm 3.8? Thanks in advance.

XDM 40 cal
01-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Great review! I'm also looking at the Springfield XDm 9mm 3.8 compact. I have a question for you. I went to Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore to check out the prices on the XDm. Can you tell me the difference between the SA XDm 9mm 3.8 and the HS XDm 9mm 3.8? Thanks in advance.

well there is only XDm 3.8 chamber in 9mm,40,and 45acp.. HS would be refering to the HS-2000 models, but there is no HS XDm...

All of springfield XDm line..:usa:
http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_11.html

achalmers
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
well there is only XDm 3.8 chamber in 9mm,40,and 45acp.. HS would be refering to the HS-2000 models, but there is no HS XDm...

All of springfield XDm line..:usa:
http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_11.html
Maybe I'm confused or not reading things right, but here is the link:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/84091/c/hot-deals/brand/SPRINGFIELD

XDM 40 cal
01-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Maybe I'm confused or not reading things right, but here is the link:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/84091/c/hot-deals/brand/SPRINGFIELD

Again i have no idea why they have HS in front of the XDM 3.8...

It looks the same as this one.
http://www.handgunsforsale.net/files/handgunsforsale/images/107.jpg (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/)

achalmers
01-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Again i have no idea why they have HS in front of the XDM 3.8...

It looks the same as this one.
http://www.handgunsforsale.net/files/handgunsforsale/images/107.jpg (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/)
What a beautiful looking gun!!

runamuck
01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
What a beautiful looking gun!!

That is a beautiful gun but unfortunately it is not a compact. The compact (which I reviewed) has a shorter grip.

runamuck
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Further clarification. There is a SA XDm 3.8 and an SA XDm 3.8 compact. The compact has a shorter grip and is much more concealable. It also comes with a 19 rd mag with a grip extension which lengthens the grip to match the length of the one shown above.

XDM 40 cal
01-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Further clarification. There is a SA XDm 3.8 and an SA XDm 3.8 compact. The compact has a shorter grip and is much more concealable. It also comes with a 19 rd mag with a grip extension which lengthens the grip to match the length of the one shown above.

Correct, but you can CC a 3.8 just as well as 3.8 compact.. just need the right holster...

I cc my 4.5 XDm with out issue... Also cc a full size 1911 too...:-D