PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Open Carry Ban HB4104

esq_stu
01-24-2013, 07:22 PM
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(qlzjqv55twfazouwhrwvfg55))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=2013-HB-4104

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2013/01/state_rep_andy_schor_d-lansing_1.html

LANSING, MI – Lansing's state representative introduced a pair of bills he says would make Michigan safer by stopping gun-owners from openly carrying weapons in gun-free zone, and by adding public libraries to the list of gun-free zones in the state.

Ejsmthurst
01-24-2013, 07:29 PM
i like the part about "mass murder empowerment zones" instead of gun free zones lol

dmo8361
01-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Guess we'll just make ******* up as we go....
http://annarbor.com/business-review/snyder-economy-not-guns-should-be-top-priority/?cmpid=mlive-@mlive-news-a2
"Gov. Rick Snyder said Wednesday that lawmakers should focus on improving the state's economy, not passing gun legislation that includes exempting Michigan-made guns and ammunition from federal regulations."

hendo
01-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Guess we'll just make ******* up as we go....
http://annarbor.com/business-review/snyder-economy-not-guns-should-be-top-priority/?cmpid=mlive-@mlive-news-a2
"Gov. Rick Snyder said Wednesday that lawmakers should focus on improving the state's economy, not passing gun legislation that includes exempting Michigan-made guns and ammunition from federal regulations."

That's how the game is played. He knows that barring some total DBag as a challenger he's a one termie, so what does he care.

45/70fan
01-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Didn't take the Democrats long to capitalzie on Snyders veto of SB59. This was forcast and now it has arrived.

Roundballer
01-24-2013, 08:58 PM
WHOA....

This is NOT a ban on open carry, it is a TOTAL ban for CPL holders.

The language is being added to 48.425o so that "shall not intentionally display or openly carry a pistol on the premises listed in subsection (1)(a) to (i)". This voids the exception in 750.234d for those with CPLs.

The section 48.425o is where concealed carry is prohibited, now they add language to prohibit "intentional display", it in effect creates a total ban on firearms.

They are trying to "back door" this without using the straight forward language that they want a total ban.

It is time to start a letter campaign.

esq_stu:
You quoted in the OP "a pair of bills". The second Bill is 2013-HB-4105 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28qlzjqv55twfazouwhrwvfg55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectName=2013-HB-4105). This bill adds "(i) A public library as defined in section 2 of 1977 PA 89, MCL 397.552." to 750.234d, effectively instituting what CADL wanted.

This bill was referred to the Committee on Local Government, here are the members:

Amanda Price (R) Committee Chair, 89th District
Dave Pagel (R) Majority Vice-Chair, 78th District
Kevin Daley (R) 82nd District
Ray Franz (R) 101st District
Peter Pettalia (R) 106th District
Pat Somerville (R) 23rd District
Bruce Rendon (R) 103rd District
Joseph Graves (R) 51st District
David Rutledge (D) Minority Vice-Chair, 54th District
Woodrow Stanley (D) 34th District
Brian Banks (D) 1st District
Alberta Talabi (D) 2nd District

zigziggityzoo
01-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Bill is DOA. Stop worrying about it.

45/70fan
01-24-2013, 10:42 PM

Not if Snydley wants it pushed thru it's not dead and he wants it to be so.

zigziggityzoo
01-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Not if Snydley wants it pushed thru it's not dead and he wants it to be so.

I don't think Snyder has enough pull with the house to get it through. Too many legislators like their jobs.

Roundballer
01-24-2013, 11:45 PM
I don't think that we should take anything for granted.

We need to write to those on the Committee that we think will listen, and ask them to kindly slip this either in the very bottom of the pile, or the circular file, which ever is more appropriate.

45/70fan
01-25-2013, 06:38 AM
I don't think Snyder has enough pull with the house to get it through. Too many legislators like their jobs.

He got the tax increases on pensions passed didn't he? Seems too that I remember his getting right to work legislation passed also. Neither one was nor are very popular and the republicans will pay a price.

Do not underestimate the power he can exert over the legislature inspite of them supposedly working for us.

Divegeek
01-25-2013, 06:51 AM
Hmmm, so it would completely ban pistols from pfzs and adds librarys to the list of pfzs. I see it says pistols and not firearms. If it passes, which it probably won't, there is still the ability to open carry a rifle in the pfzs.

Leader
01-25-2013, 07:16 AM
He got the tax increases on pensions passed didn't he? Seems too that I remember his getting right to work legislation passed also. Neither one was nor are very popular and the republicans will pay a price.

Do not underestimate the power he can exert over the legislature inspite of them supposedly working for us.

The tax increases on pensions didn't effect very many people in spite of the misinformation the opposition tried to spread and RTW is VERY popular with everyone except the UNIONS.

However... I agree we need to acknowledge this latest threat and stop it early. It is only one small step to their goals & will be followed by MANY others through the year.

Notice they do NOT give up anything in this bill, just ask for a small thing.
If we would take this approach, rather then ask for many different things while offering to give up rights and privileges we already have, we *MIGHT* get somewhere.

Roundballer
01-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Hmmm, so it would completely ban pistols from pfzs and adds librarys to the list of pfzs. I see it says pistols and not firearms. If it passes, which it probably won't, there is still the ability to open carry a rifle in the pfzs.
Only with a CPL. No CPL and you can't even have a firearm in the trunk.

Tallbear
01-25-2013, 10:54 PM
HB 4104 of 2013 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2013-HB-4104)
Weapons; firearms; weapon-free zones; amend concealed weapon act to include libraries. Amends sec. 5o of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425o).
Last Action: 1/24/2013 referred to Committee on Local Government

Raggs
01-26-2013, 02:48 PM
OK, I am not a lawyer but that does not look good for OCers but I bet the Governor would love it.

HB 4104 of 2013 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2013-HB-4104)
Weapons; firearms; weapon-free zones; amend concealed weapon act to include libraries. Amends sec. 5o of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425o).
Last Action: 1/24/2013 referred to Committee on Local Government

kdogg
01-26-2013, 03:53 PM
I've never open carried anywhere in my life outside of my own properly, gun rangers or when hiking and camping in state or national forests. I'm still going to send emails and make calls.

I have a bad feeling about this one!

appliancebrad
01-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Reps Pagel and Daley should be solid No's on this. I doubt it gets a hearing let alone out of Committee.

Calls to their offices would be good but I agree with Zig. DBAIC (Dead Before Arrival In Committee)

RDak
01-27-2013, 07:30 AM
I sent emails to Amanda Price, Committee Chair to vote no on these two bills.

wardog6t
01-27-2013, 11:13 AM

We believed in SB-59 and look where it went. Assumption is a evil advisory. Both Phil and you seem to think this bill is dead. Have either of you noticed the current firearms climate? That's exactly what we need to do. Stop worrying about more infringement of our rights under attack by every branch of government. Yet don't worry. Its DOA. Do nothing. It will go no where? That's a completely Naive statement.

MI-1911
01-27-2013, 11:44 AM

:facepalm: I'm thinking no.

RudyOnWheels
01-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Any updates on this? Thanks!!! Rudy