PDA

View Full Version : HB 4099 Michigan firearms freedom act

Tallbear
01-25-2013, 10:53 PM
HB 4099 of 2013 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2013-HB-4099)
Weapons; firearms; Michigan firearms freedom act; enact. Creates new act.
Last Action: 1/24/2013 referred to Committee on Judiciary

DocCasualty
01-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Interesting. Practical implications? I guess I don't know what is produced in MI with regards to firearms at this point. Would this open up production avenues in the State should there be some sort of Federal ban or what?

zigziggityzoo
01-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Interesting. Practical implications? I guess I don't know what is produced in MI with regards to firearms at this point. Would this open up production avenues in the State should there be some sort of Federal ban or what?
Practically speaking? This carved out exception to federal law is not yet tried in the courts, to my knowledge.

What this law asserts is exactly what you say. If someone makes a gun here that is contrary to federal laws, but is otherwise legal in Michigan, then it's legal to own in Michigan because the federal law banning it is invoking the interstate commerce clause.

A few other states have this law on the books already. Guaranteed that should a major ban occur, and a state go to bat for a citizen to protect its own, this will go to the supreme court.

DocCasualty
01-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Appreciate your thoughts and clarification.

annade
01-25-2013, 11:43 PM
I like it. It is nice to see so many States trying to protect their citizens from the Fed govt becoming control freaks.

Roundballer
01-26-2013, 02:47 AM
This looks like a word for word duplicate of the Senate Bill SB-0063 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2013-SB-0063). Are they maybe trying to send a message to D.C. and our two "wonderful" Senators there?

There is also a possibility that if they do get the "mag ban" on line, all some one here in the State would have to do is make a deal with Pmag, and get a license to manufacture in the state. They pony up for tooling and pay a plastics shop to start making mags. :cheers:

Rod M1
01-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Will existing guns be grand fathered then or doesn't this cover that issue?

zigziggityzoo
01-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Deleted offtopic post of Carl Levin's response to unrelated legislation. Keep that conversation in the Carl Levin response thread.

LibertyComrade
01-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Will existing guns be grand fathered then or doesn't this cover that issue?

I don't believe there would be any grandfathering because the Michigan Firearm Freedom Act would also require Michigan-made firearms and accessories to have a "Made in Michigan" printed/stamped on them. Which would not be present on older products.

That's my understanding at least.