PDA

View Full Version : Mentored Youth Hunting

SparkyTech
01-26-2013, 11:16 PM
My seven year old is really wanting to try deer hunting this coming fall. I've been getting him into shooting (he's been 'practicing' with a bb gun) but he's a bit gun shy with anything larger than a .22LR.

I just purchased a Bushmaster Carbon 15 this past fall and was thinking of getting him proficient with shooting that because of the lightweight, low recoil, and adjustable stock. He's done some, but not a lot of shooting with it yet but once the weather turns warmer...

My question is - Is it ethical to hunt deer with a .223? Perhaps if I'm ready with a backup shot as well? Is it legal? Someone told me .223 isn't legal for deer hunting up north, but the Michigan DNR website just says it needs to be "Larger than a .22 caliber"... so .223 is larger than .22 :lol:

Any thoughts?

Roundballer
01-27-2013, 12:51 AM
My personal thoughts are that a .223 is plenty to drop a deer with.
The next thought is that the shot has to be placed just right for it to be effective. It would not be my first choice, and I am a pretty fair shot.
Only you and him will be able to judge his abilities. I would think that a .410 slug-gun would be a better type of choice. If you are not hunting from a blind, he will have to carry and then be able to steadily support the rifle while making the shot.

The law about caliber size states that for deer hunting, .22 cal or smaller RIMFIRE is prohibited. Even though the actual bullet diameter of the .22lr and the .223 is ~.224, one is rimfire and prohibited, the other is center fire and allowed.

You will have to thoroughly read/check the rules about the mentored hunts to answer the question of you being right there for a "backup" shot. I don't know.

keen one
02-01-2013, 08:30 PM
The choice of cartridge is entirely yours. It's marginal in my mind but that does not make it wrong. I would place special emphasis on marksmanship and sportsmanship. My youngest daughter was heart broken when I would not let her take a 100 yard 'chip shot' on her first hunt. She lived and went on to be successful this year for the first deer. She's 13 now.

The AR platform is good for small shooters who are recoil sensative. Select a good bullet, provide some hearing protection and put some venison in the frezer.

My girls were not ready to take game at the age of 8. By the time they were 10...well rabbits were not plentiful enough. Your making some great memories here. Keep the child warm, dry and safe!

KJDan
02-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I believe bullet choice and shot placement is Key! Also if you read the rules with that program, if i recall it states that if the child is the "hunter" the adult is not permitted to carry a firearm. I'm sure CC is fine but not another long gun. I'm not 100% sure on that but that's how it was explained to me. Just make sure before you both take guns.

Braddock
02-01-2015, 02:16 PM
I am going to resurrect this Zombie and run because I think it is important. I believe it is the lack of experience and nerves that are the biggest detriments to effective hunting not the caliber.

1. Gas guns are excellent for young and new shooters. The low felt recoil does not discourage proper technique.
2. I would remove or replace any muzzle device that directs more sound/pressure to the shooter.
3. The availability of cheap high power practice ammo makes the AR15 .223 an excellent choice.
4. More practice, more proficiency, more confidence and less stress all lead to more thoughtful, better placed, proficient/humane kills.

Should I take this quartering shot on the trophy at 250yds? No, but if he poses for me at 150 I will drop him inside his shadow.

Generally:
14.5 - 16" barrel is suitable for 150 yds.
20" 200 yds.
24" 240 yds.

Specifically:
You need figure out the maximum range for your gun that the bullet will perform as engineered.

Summary:
The .223 is a perfectly adequate and acceptable deer cartridge for competent hunters. Proper decisions and proper placement produce success.

Braddock

langenc
02-01-2015, 03:26 PM
During a 'youth' shoot the youth must do the shooting.