PDA

View Full Version : Gun Lock "required" for all new gun purchases?

SparkyTech
01-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Quick question: I purchased a stripped down lower receiver from Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare, MI.

I had to fill out a form / checklist that included a gun safety manual, listing of the product purchased, etc... But what surprised me was a requirement that they HAD to give me a trigger lock with the stripped lower because "it technically is a firearm".

Made me shake my head... Bureaucratic thinking, trigger lock "required" for a "gun" with no trigger.

sonicmatter
01-26-2013, 11:51 PM
trigger locks have been required for a while now. more silly govt forced legislation.

DocCasualty
01-27-2013, 12:02 AM
trigger locks have been required for a while now. more silly govt forced legislation.
^^^^^^ This. We already have so many stupid gun laws on the books, it's mind boggling. And they want to pass more . . . :roll:
I'm guessing you already know that in the eyes of the law, receiver = "gun".

Raider0311
01-27-2013, 12:11 AM
And most of the ones that I've seen in the last couple years aren't much of a lock, just some conglomeration of plastic with a little bit of metal. Anyone of an age that is old enough to make the decision that they want to use that firearm is easily old enough to figure out a way to defeat that "lock".

SparkyTech
01-27-2013, 12:22 AM
And most of the ones that I've seen in the last couple years aren't much of a lock, just some conglomeration of plastic with a little bit of metal. Anyone of an age that is old enough to make the decision that they want to use that firearm is easily old enough to figure out a way to defeat that "lock".

Yes, it was plastic with a screw on cap. Not a lock at all. Just took a custom piece of metal with two protrusions to turn it instead of a screwdriver.

DocCasualty
01-27-2013, 12:35 AM
BTW. the last time I purchased a firearm I checked the box and told the GS owner to keep the lock. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that before. It probably only saved him pennies, but why not? I'll bet that most here like myself already practice safe gun keeping, why do we need BS rules like this anyway? If somebody is going to be an idiot and leave their firearms laying around, surely providing them with an ineffective lock isn't going to change anything.

Raider0311
01-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Yes, it was plastic with a screw on cap. Not a lock at all. Just took a custom piece of metal with two protrusions to turn it instead of a screwdriver.

Exactly what I was talking about! In the last few years I've gotten about 8 of those stupid things. I laugh every time the box opens and I see that little red piece of plastic.

Roundballer
01-27-2013, 02:58 AM
Come on guys...

It is a requirement of one of Michigan's stupider laws, the FFL HAS to either provide the lock, or you have to come up with a receipt for a lock, or buy a locking case, or , or, or,

MCL 28-435 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-435)

Of course LEOs are exempt..... And the FFL has to provide a "Safety" pamphlet "free of charge".

Just give a quick scan of that one... It needs to be repealed.

Mark.n.chip
01-27-2013, 01:30 PM
This stupid lock is meant to try and stop an unauthorized person from using your firearm without your permission. Anything in life can be unlocked if the ad guy wants it bad enough. You are responsible for all your firearms, isn't thus stupid little lock a teeny tiny inconvenience compared to the alternative.

jmanz6
01-27-2013, 01:49 PM
I have a collection of the "locks" in my tool box. The cable type work pretty well for lockout on industrial machines. My guns are all safely stored and therefore don't require a secondary lock of any kind.

matt11
01-27-2013, 01:53 PM
I would think that the idea behind the trigger lock was for kids that get a hold of a gun at the house. I went up north few years ago and pulled my pistol out of the case with a trigger lock on it, keys were 200 miles away. 30 seconds with a hammer and screwdriver and that was last of that.

duck9191
01-27-2013, 02:15 PM
I just bring one with me and let them keep theirs, or if theyhave one from the factory i just let them keep it and use mine that way I don't have 100 different keys.

ohrings
01-28-2013, 07:26 PM
It has been years that this has been going on since some states tried to sue gun manufacturers. Just love those lawyers! Same as printing and label coffee as HOT when macDonalds was sued

keen one
02-25-2013, 12:27 PM
You better hold on to those little locky thingys. Soon we'll be obligated to actually use them.

MichiganShootist
02-25-2013, 01:00 PM
I keep a cable lock in all my vehicles --cars, bikes ---- all.

That way if I decide to stop for some drinks, go to a PFZ, what ever... I have a way to lock my pistol. I use the cable lock , pitch it in the trunk, and pocket my magazine.

Whether the locks are any good or not.... if my vehicle was ever stolen I'd like to police report to read--- "Unloaded pistol was in trunk with a gun lock on it"

langenc
02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
When you buy a gun at the CMP North store (Camp Perry), I was asked "do you want the boat anchor".

It is a BIG heavy thing.

Roundballer
02-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Isn't CMP North Store in Ohio? They are not a FFL in "this state".

When you buy a gun at the CMP North store (Camp Perry), I was asked "do you want the boat anchor".

It is a BIG heavy thing.
I think that you can legitimately say "no thank you", and neither of you broke the law.
MCL 28-435 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-435)

Sec. 15.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a federally licensed firearms dealer shall not sell a firearm in this state unless the sale includes 1 of the following:

(a) A commercially available trigger lock or other device designed to disable the firearm and prevent the discharge of the firearm.

(b) A commercially available gun case or storage container that can be secured to prevent unauthorized access to the firearm.
Again, this is a stupid "feel good" law that needs to be repealed.

Cackler
03-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Whether the locks are any good or not.... if my vehicle was ever stolen I'd like to police report to read--- "Unloaded pistol was in trunk with a gun lock on it"

Well hell, why don't you put a steering wheel lock and and a wheel lock on so you can really impress somebody with all the safety measures that you presented to keep criminals from injuring somebody.

Budget
03-07-2013, 07:47 AM
I don't disagree with the pamphlet, there are many new shooters that have zero experience and it has basic rules of firearm safety, but so does the owners manual. It's good to have information even if it isn't used by all

TomE
03-07-2013, 08:53 AM
The pawn shop had no gun lock when I bought my 20 gage last month. I just pulled out the trigger ass'y

pustulio
03-07-2013, 04:48 PM
My ruger came w/ a ruger branded pad lock. I don't use it but it's still pretty nice as far as gun locks go.

Deadmeat3344
03-11-2013, 12:26 PM
All of my new gun purchases came with locks. Surplus guns did not but still had the trigger lock form you had to sign.