PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on shooting steel targets with .22LR..

kdogg
01-27-2013, 03:50 PM
With ammo being next to impossible to find and .22LR being the only cheap option when you can find that, I thought this would be a good time to get into steel target shooting.

How does one safely shoot steel with a .22LR? I'm looking to do something a little up close, maybe 15 to 25 yards, somewhat high speed using an AR-15 conversion and an M&P22 pistol.

I've watched some of the video's were frangible rounds are used in everything from 9mm, 45acp to 5.56 and they shoot steel at like 5 feet even but I've had no luck finding any in-stock .22LR frangible ammo.

Any advice would be great!

ColonelKurtz
01-27-2013, 04:26 PM
no luck finding any in-stock .22LR frangible ammo.
no such thing. someone does make a segmented (3 piece) one for hunting

just make sure you get plates meant for rimfire rounds... too think and 22s will bounce back

scecil
01-27-2013, 04:42 PM
I know you said steel, but those new orange rubber targets are pretty slick. They aren't as fun as shooting steel but they are still reactive

kdogg
01-27-2013, 05:27 PM
no such thing. someone does make a segmented (3 piece) one for hunting

just make sure you get plates meant for rimfire rounds... too think and 22s will bounce back

Sure they do.

CCI makes some that is made from copper particles and polymer mix. I believe they are called CCI Short Range Green. They are designed for small game in lead free zones, at short ranges but they are considered a frangible rounds by everyone I've spoken to. They vaporize into dust on impact. The material is very light weight and doesn't have enough mass ricochet or splatter.

Then there was another company, I can't think of the name anymore but they made .22LR rounds from powdered zinc. They were designed for short range shooting galleries and were used so you got no bullet splatter.

I can't find any of this stuff anywhere though.

Anyway what brought up my question was I wanted to get into shooting steel for the reactionary sound. That DING! sound you get on impact. However I got the crap scared out of me last week when we were doing some high speed shooting at paper plates, I missed and hit the edge of the target backer, which was sheet steel and I HEARD a round come back past my head and hit aluminum roof of of the covered shooting bench behind me!

Previous to this, before the CT shooting I was thinking about getting a couple AR-500 silhouette shooting steels for 5.56mm and 9mm. I put this idea on hold due to cost and availability of ammo but then I was just about to order them again to shoot .22LR at. After this past weekends ricochet, I'm having second thoughts!

Thought I would ask for opinions!

I know you said steel, but those new orange rubber targets are pretty slick. They aren't as fun as shooting steel but they are still reactive

I have no idea what you mean by new orange rubber targets..? I like the idea of steel because you get that DING sound.

Still interested to know what you mean by they are reactive. Link me?

fr3db3ar
01-27-2013, 06:04 PM
For shooting steel with 22, just be sure the target can move IE, direct the spend round downward into the ground and keep it 25 and greater you shouldn't have any issues. I have yet to try the polymer moving targets.

TomE
01-27-2013, 06:40 PM
I had a 22lr bounce off a soup can, hit me in my SAFETY Glasses and bruise my cheek at 15 yards :twak:

scecil
01-27-2013, 06:51 PM
I have no idea what you mean by new orange rubber targets..? I like the idea of steel because you get that DING sound.

Still interested to know what you mean by they are reactive. Link me?
http://newboldtargets.com/
You won't get a ding sound. It's a thump with 22lr, but not much of one.

By reactive, I mean they move when you hit them to confirm hits. As long as you are using a good backstop this eliminates the need for frangeable ammo.

kdogg
01-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Interesting. Those might be kinda cool to try out.

Maybe I'll have to buy a couple and see how they work. Even though I still want steel, those might serve a purpose too.

mikeb32
01-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Advice?..............Duck!!

ColonelKurtz
01-28-2013, 08:39 AM
I had a 22lr bounce off a soup can
was it full?

reshp1
01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
I was thinking of going up to Bald Mountain for a steel shoot with my new M&P 15-22. So do I need special ammo or is lead/copper washed ok for those target plates?

ncs
01-28-2013, 06:39 PM
No special ammo, I've shot every kind of bulk .22 at the steels. Last time out I went through a 525 box of the Remington Golden Bullet, it goes fast!

I was thinking of going up to Bald Mountain for a steel shoot with my new M&P 15-22. So do I need special ammo or is lead/copper washed ok for those target plates?

TomE
01-28-2013, 06:48 PM
was it full?

No it hit the rim :facepalm:

ohrings
01-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Better buy whatever ammo you can find and just use .22 steel targets. Don''t try and burn out your brains cells. K.I.S.S Keep it simple Smartie !

crankythunder
01-28-2013, 07:43 PM
I have made quite a bit of steel targets for 22 lr shooting.

They need to be swinging or hanging by a couple chains and when you make them, they need to hang at an angle such that the spray is directed down.

After using mine for thousands and thousands of rounds, the spray from the bullets is apparent on the ground immediatly below the targets.

I went to padnos in lansing and they usually have quite a number of soft steel disks, various thicknesses and in perfect circles from 4 inches up to 24 inches in diameter. You purchase them for 40 cents a pound and the 24 inchers cost somewhere around $20.00.

Then, I drill two holes and either use a chain hammer link or a eye bolt for the mounting point. The eye bolts make the targets hang at a angle, the hammer links hang verticle and those are at longer ranges. I make a stand from steel fence posts at home depot and all thread with hardware for a inexpensive and easily assembled steel target tree. On my bigger targets, I will have two fence posts, two horizontal all thread bars holding six or more various sized steel plates.

I have some as close as 50 foot and have not had any splashback. I would be cautious any closer then that since a bullet could hit the end of the eye bolt or hammer link and riccochet back to you.

Do not use the soft steel for centerfire firearms cause they will go right through the steel like butter.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Cranky

agksimon
02-20-2013, 03:57 AM
I bought a set of five, 8" plates from here:
http://www.shootsteel.com/1-4-ar500-steel-targets/

They are 1/4" thick, lightweight, made for rimfires and move when hit, to expend energy. I have them hanging on shepherds hooks and have them out from 10-25 yards. We have never had one come back at us. These are made from AR500 hardened steel. If you buy unhardened steel, it will dimple and that's where you are more likely to have a ricochet.

langenc
04-04-2013, 05:42 PM
I know of a gun club that has a challenge match. Ovcer 100 registered shooters each shooting over 100 rounds.

No hits, runs or errors or injuries.

All shot w/ 22 LR-all kinds of ammo. Half handgun-half rifle.

JDG
04-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Angle the target is all I can say. My steel shilouette has a slight forward lean, but I also give it a good bit of side angle too if I get up close. You need a good backstop, especially when you start turning it sideways. You will see on the ground where all the bullet fragments are, and none has came back and hit me. Ive been up as close as 20-25' with a 9mm too!!:shock:

kgvall
04-06-2013, 02:58 AM
They have a good supply of reactive targets at Dunhams (all types)