PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion Defense Firearm

Kurgan
10-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Seems there is a mountain lion hanging out by some people I know in North Carolina. Tracks found and a few sightings inside of 100 yards from their doors. They're keeping their dogs inside now but it gets a little scary at night coming home in the dark or going to the end of the driveway to get mail.

So what would be an effective defensive firearm caliber suggestion (handgun and long gun) in case the big cat decides it wants to play? The individuals are somewhat recoil sensitive (women and older men) as well.

Any ideas on how to handle a situation like this so they aren't prisoners in their own homes and afraid to be outside in their yards?

RifleGuy
10-23-2007, 10:23 PM
A 44 mag. loaded w/ 44 Specials would be reasonable as a handgun; the 44 Special is pretty tame but still manages to poke a big hole in the target.

Knoxx Industries sells a recoil reducing stock that is a direct bolt-on for the Remingtom 870 shotgun (12 gauge); this thing really eats up the recoil. This stock, coupled with some "reduced recoil" buckshot loads, available commercially, should fit the bill.

A shoulder injury has left me extremely recoil sensitive (read: SISSY!) and both of these suggestions work well for me.

A couple of possibilities for you to consider. Good luck!

RSF
10-23-2007, 10:26 PM
handgun anything with high round count.

(mm with +P+ or soild ball ammo glock 19 mp etc... for carry, if they cant control a 45(limited ammo capcity) anyhow, and by contoling i mean shooting and moving rapidly or one handed while snatching up kids or whatever

in long gun
20 gauge slug gun
223 AR bal lammo or 60+ grain bonded bear claw ammo
sks. good choice low recoil. 10 round fixed mag.

airhorns might be good
whistles. etc....

RSF
10-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Most might be intimidated by the 44 even with specials,

since there not shooters maybe,.

12 gauge nope again same thing,
knoxx stock guns to specialized for most, that may or may not be gun people.

think simple

fbuckner
10-23-2007, 10:30 PM
I would suggest )) buck shot for an animal that can move faster than most can react. I would prefer a spread pattern as long as it wasnt a high density residential area. trying to hit a moving cat with single rounds might prove difficult for anyone especially at night where the cat has a huge advantage over a mere human.

CyborgWarrior
10-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Just a note, mountain lions aren't as thick as bears and are more readily "stopped" by lesser calibers. i.e. any hi-cap 9mm should work fine. The problem is they usually will only attack if the can do so unseen. In other words, once spotted, they're done.

RifleGuy
10-23-2007, 11:48 PM
in long gun
20 gauge slug gun ....

According to Remington and several other industry leaders, the recoil impulse from a 20 gauge is as severe, and often worse than, a 12 gauge. The 20 gauge possesses similar ballistics (bullet weight, velocity, etc.) but is often chambered in a lighter gun. The heavier action of the 12 gauge tends to mitigate some of the recoil impulse. So, 20 or 12 is generally a wash, comes down to preference.

Remington is offeing guns w/ the Knoxx stock factory installed, but it is still a bit of an odd duck; certainly not a mainstream item.

I suppose something in a flame-thrower would be out of the question...

fbuckner
10-24-2007, 01:15 AM
I agree with the 20-12 recoil info remington has. My 870 20 kicks harder than my 12 ga. 870 and my 11-87 12 is even softer with 3-1/2" in it. Generally speaking a mountain lion is not often seen by their victims. otherwise they wouldnt be victims. Not to many people would walk past a big cat and let it bite you on the back of the neck as the do to dispatch their prey.

RSF
10-24-2007, 07:22 AM
yes but the semi auto 20 recoils less.....

I never said pump gun.

but anyhow whatever they get..practice.

Maranatha
10-24-2007, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=RSF]
since there not shooters maybe,.[QUOTE=RSF]

this is the bigger problem, they need to practice and prepare their property. don't have bushes near the mail box where the predator can lay in wait for dinner

franky1
10-24-2007, 09:02 AM
LET THE WIFE GET THE MAIL EVERY DAY .... :score:

RSF
10-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Your wife can outshoot and out fight most men i know,

then again so can your mom,

franky1
10-24-2007, 10:23 AM
that would be a real cat fight the lion and my wife ........my mom and lion i feel bad for the lion.

RSF
10-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Dude the lion would have to shoot itself...I wont even mess with your mom,.