PDA

View Full Version : Freak .22LR discharge while in pocket

SparkyTech
02-02-2013, 06:03 PM
I have a freak but true story regarding my father, a few .22LR rounds, a few coins, and some AA batteries.

My Dad had his gull bladder removed a couple years ago, and ever since that surgery, he doesn't have feeling in his right leg. One evening up at their cottage, he was sitting at the table eating dinner with my Mother when they heard a gun shot. My Dad felt the impact in his posterior (back side). He got up and looked around thinking his rifle had fallen (it was by the door where he had leaned it against the wall coming into the cottage). It was still where it was when he left it. He then realized he had been slightly injured and was bleeding.

It wasn't until he put his hand in his front pocket that he realized it was hot... REALLY hot. Too hot to hold in his hand... It turns out the AA batteries must have shorted with the coins and the .22LR round in his pocket causing them to heat up and discharge.

The bullet head stayed in his pocket, but the casing went through his pocket, and went around the leg and inside the pants till it came out the back side of the pants. It didn't puncher the skin but caused more of a surface wound/scrape.

It was a freak combination of circumstances, if he had normal feeling in his leg, he would probably have felt it heating up...

Just be careful, don't mix batteries and ammo!

ka64
02-02-2013, 06:17 PM
This comming from a guy named Sparky........:nono:

7.62 Nato
02-02-2013, 06:26 PM
This comming from a guy named Sparky........:nono:
LOL !!! :bowdown: :rofl:

Just be careful, don't mix batteries and ammo!
Cause you might hit a bump and spill your drink. N/M, different PSA.

tote'ngranny
02-02-2013, 06:44 PM
^^ So how is your keyboard operating after getting a *shower* ? lol

ColonelKurtz
02-02-2013, 09:20 PM
It turns out the AA batteries must have shorted with the coins and the .22LR round in his pocket causing them to heat up and discharge.
I foresee a Mythbusters episode :enforcer:

mikeb32
02-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Only Ka would have caught that!!!!

whitehope77
02-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Can see it happening .I had a battery and coins in my pocket one day leg started burning stuck my hand in my pocket and the coin was warm as hell :tsk:

ohrings
02-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Rule of proper handling of ammunition. Do not place new heat or fire. I had a friend once that threw some old batteries in his pants and burned a hole in them and got 1st degree burns on his thigh.

noob5,000,000
02-03-2013, 05:16 PM
My dad had a similar experience with batteries and his car/house/desk keys. Luckily no ammo was involved.

StolenValor
02-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Who hasn't had a hot battery in their pockets?!:hide:

who dat
02-04-2013, 09:22 AM
There's an old story floating around about a guy using a .22 cartridge for a fuse replacement in a VW.

Boom.

maustin195
02-04-2013, 12:31 PM
There's an old story floating around about a guy using a .22 cartridge for a fuse replacement in a VW.

Boom.
I saw that on tv years ago. Don't remember who's show but the cartridge did fire when the power was turned on. Like most discharges not in a barrel there wasn't much damage but there was a bullet flying around inside the car.

Pop-Tart
02-05-2013, 07:07 PM
I saw that on tv years ago. Don't remember who's show but the cartridge did fire when the power was turned on. Like most discharges not in a barrel there wasn't much damage but there was a bullet flying around inside the car.

That would be Mythbusters.

JohnJak
02-09-2013, 11:52 AM
I personally had a CR123 Lithium Battery(Chinese made battery) pocket flashlight blow up in my pants pocket.

willowofwisp
02-09-2013, 03:22 PM
I personally had a CR123 Lithium Battery(Chinese made battery) pocket flashlight blow up in my pants pocket.

The surefire batterys are notched to prevent them from shorting, but still wouldn't carry one loose in my pocket.